Really unsure if physics is the right thing for me

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm studying physics right now and I'm really doubting my choice. So far it's not been much fun at all. I hate the labs and lab reports, doing exercises from the book is boring. But it's interesting to learn how the world works and see in real life these basic phenomena that make up the world.

Will it get better? What are my realistic career prospects? I don't wanna be a lab technician or analyze data my entire life.

Should I switch major? (doing this will force me to be in class with people 1 year younger than me)

What do?

If you don't want to analyze data then why the fuck are you even in STEM.

Not even engineers get to do field work and fuck prostitutes all day. 99% of the work in any STEM job is sitting at a desk reading.

I just don't want a job title like "data analyst". I want to actually do something.

With engineering I also include CS. Software engineers seem to do a lot of actual work.

Go read about neat physics stuff, (I.e Lagrangian mechanics, special relativiry, quantum mechanics, etc) if you like it and want to know more about it then you should stay in physics, however if you only like it superficially, and it only interests you at pop-sci level then you should rethink your major.

>Pro tip: majoring in physics is not recommended to anyone that doesn't have a profound interest in it

It's get even drier and not at all like you would imagine from popsci.

I'd good gauge to see if young people would like SEM is if you like solving difficult abstract problems.

If you don't you will be happier in a field where earning your paycheck is much easier and just keeping up with the science world on popsci articles (which professionals do too, no one reads papers in every field).

but i gotta get dat dere engineering monies

If you want to do "something" but don't want to abandon your choice of study, major in the study you want and then get either a minor or major in compsci. You'll be able to apply your knowledge and use it to formulate programs, scripts, anything computational. You won't feel like a walking book or just a computer mule if you just did compsci. Alternatively learn all the compsci shit on your own but that's mad gay and I don't respect those people

What physics classes are you currently taking?

If you're only doing engineering for the money, please drop out. To be fair, I guess the majority of your kind is only doing it for the money, so maybe shoot up the school (target engineers) and then drop out?

If you are not an analytical person, you do not belong in STEM.

Popsci has really convinced people that because they like starbucks and science channel they'll be good physicists.

Stupid idea, literally anything else is more money/effort.

What do you mean analytical?

I enjoy learning how math can be used to describe the universe and what causes a physical phenomena.

I also like the idea of contributing to humanity's understanding of the universe as I believe that is the most important thing a civilization should be doing.

But I do not enjoy solving these boring problems in books and analyzing lab data and writing reports.

I'm OP and that post you're replying to is not mine, but isn't engineering a good major for making money? How about CS? Or do you mean they have to work more for it?

>but isn't engineering a good major for making money?
No, engineering is a good major for making money IF YOU'RE GOOD AT ENGINEERING.

Most graduates end up in finance and IT, so it's just an unnecessary pain to do it when you could be doing an easier major for money (and engineering work is stressful for people who are bad at it too and they have to work way harder to keep up with their colleagues while having a less successful career).

Do something you are either good or passionate about.

How do I know if I'm good at engineering?

And how do I know what I'm passionate about if I don't really know yet?

You're the guy that doesn't even get to the second semester. Just admit defeat.

Exactly this. True with most STEM fields. For example, there isn't a shortage of computer science majors, there are a ton CS shitters, there is a shortage of GOOD computer science majors.

Please be a troll...

Just ignore pop sci memes and ask yourself why are you really in physics. For example I now hate quantum memes since I found out my new passion classical physics. It's fun as fuck. I love physics for what it is since its very beginning. Most nowadays faggots wouldn't choose physics if the 19th century because wormholes weren't a thing yet. Now if you ask yourself if you would like to study physics if you lived in the 19th century you're on the good way. Btw lab reports really suck ass.

If you hate labs and lab reports, physical sciences or engineering are out. If you think doing exercises in a book is boring, maths is out.
>Will it get better?
Yes, same as any subject. The more you learn, the more interesting it is. It's difficult to know what you mean by "better" though, since you seem to hate doing any of the work.
>What are my realistic career prospects?
Pretty much anything, so long as you're not autistic. Truthfully.
>I don't wanna be a lab technician or analyze data my entire life.
Then don't. But I'd consider what I want to do, because it sounds to me like you wouldn't really be happy with anything maths/science/engineering related. Maybe you would prefer computer science?

he means if u dont like being a slave/desk jockey stem isn't right for you.

and i agree.

>hates quantum
>does classical

why do you even do physics grandpa?

>maths is just a bunch of exercises in a book
- user

Just teach highschool afterward.

Find where the rich white people live near you and see if you can work in that district, that's what I'm doing.

Starts at 58k

I'm guessing you're a first semester freshman since you think switching majors will "force you to be in a class with people a year younger," so the answer to your question is, no, it doesn't get "better." There will always be lab reports to write, equations to solve, etc. stop being a lazy fuck

vorticity