What are the dangers of an MRI?

What are the dangers of an MRI?

It might detect that you're a faggot

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the only ever true possible genotoxicity ever shown was some half assed study basically blasting lymphocytes in vivo with really high levels of RF waves and static magnetic fields, which went back to normal levels permanently within 24 hours, or directly after exposure ended. I don't remember. Also, it can dislodge the crystals in your inner ear labyrinth due to some electrical something or other.

this is other than obvious shit like leaving some metal object in the room so it crushes you when the machine turns on or whatever.

basically, there at least as safe as a CT scan, which is very safe.

there was some study where they had people swing their head back and forth in a scanner while using different levels, and had them answer questions testing their memory and shit like that, and supposedly they had worse scores the higher the levels were, but it only lasted during exposure or within a 24 hour period. It sounds like bullshit desu.

HYPERSPEED

MRIs don't spin. That's a CT scanner.

That's what "they" want you to think.

Someone freaking out and having an anxiety attack

I heard a story somewhere of a cleaning lady who after being lectured on how to behave around giant fucking magnets kamikaze'd a cleaning cart into the scanner.

Might be just a radio spooky story tho, too fun to be true

Proving programs correct is no easy task but the same is true about proving theorems in advanced mathematics: Gonthier proved correct the programs used in the formalization of his proof of the Four Color Theorem, but he spent far more effort formalizing all the graph theory that was part of the proof. So ironically enough, it turns out that at least in this case, and surely there are others, “it is actually easier to verify the correctness of the program than to verify the correctness of the pen-and-paper mathematics” (Wiedijk 2006).

nothing has ever been proven, ever.

That's what (((they))) want you to think

There was a nurse where I with that took a computer on wheels in to the room while someone was in there. They were uninjured idk how

>He uses an MRI
real men use NMR

Retardation. A meana look at me

nothing related to static magnetic fields, radio waves, or change of electric fields has ever shown any sort of toxicity to any animals. we would be pretty fucked if that were the case being that we that all around us at all times, same with ionizing radiation via radon, UV rays, and medical imaging. it wouldn't even make sense.

someone died cause the mri pulled a fire extinguisher that was left there

so beyond extreme mental retardation id say none

Stage IV pancreatic cancer

hearing loss if you don't wear proper fitting, properly rated, MRI-safe earplugs and/or headphones (preferably both)

protip: most of the time they won't just "offer" them to you if you don't ask, which borders on being a crime since MRIs have been known to sometimes get into the 110-120dB range during certain imaging sequences (i.e. while you're inside and they aren't just in idle mode but actually are taking the images)

best bet is to buy foam earplugs beforehand and learn how to properly fit them via youtube videos

I literally just got one a couple of hours ago and I feel totally fine. They give you little ear plugs, and you get to listen to some dub-step-like beats with the magnet coils oscillating with some cool breeze blowing on you for 15 minutes.

This OP. MRI machines can be hella loud, wear ear protection.

Other than that, it's just a fuck big magnet. Safest scan there is, literally.

if you have a bullet lodged inside of you it will come out.

If they use a contrast product, typically gadolinium, there's a risk of a kind of sclerodermy-like skin reaction. It's mostly on people with chronic kidney disease though.

Other than that for people with non-MRI-compatible pacemakers the electrodes can heat up and provoke local scarring and no longer work (the electrodes need to be in contact with viable heart tissue to work). Some older materials used in orthopedics could heat up but they're extremelly rare now a days. I suppose brain electrodes for Parkison's and stuff would be a problem (never read anything on it though).

Otherwise, the noise and tight space can be difficult to tolerate for some people. Light sedation is usually made available if needed.

who the fuck moved a goddamned supermarket trolley in the mri room

What most people don't know is that MRI scanners don't work by solely using magnetic fields. They also emit radio frequency waves (pulses) for the excitiation of the spins, which then create a signal you can aquire.

When those rf waves are absorbed, it heats up the material it is absorbed by. This happens to your body, but every clinical scanner uses a model to calculate the maximum amount of rf energy that is safe to emit, depending on the size of the body part that is imaged. If you want to know more search for specific absoption rate (or SAR). A bigger problem are magnetic objects that touch your skin. They can heat up quite fast and burn the skin. Examples are jewelry (gold is fine because it's diamagnetic), tattoos (often contain iron particles) or metal workers that have metal particles in their eyes (unknowingly).

Another thing that is not necessarily unsafe but uncomfortable is peripheral nerve stimulation (or PNS). This happens when you have an imaging sequence that uses fast switching and strong magnetic gradients. Then it's possible that an electric current is induced in the nerves, which can lead to unvoluntary muscle contractions and, in the worst case, can be extremly painful. During some 'bad' imaging sequences I usually only feel some muscle twitching near the belly and in my fingers, but every person reacts differently. As it is the case with SAR, every clinical scanner has a model to calculate the probability of PNS and gives out a warning on the control computer if the PNS of your imaging sequence is higher then a specific threshold. And the thresholds for respiratory and cardiac stimulation are at least an order of magnitude or more greater than the PNS thresholds usually set on clinical scanners. So you shouldn't expect any dangers from PNS, but just be aware that it exists.

Super market trollies don't generally have two handle bars.

>learn how to properly fit them via youtube videos
and more specifically, practice putting them in properly a couple of times, i.e. so that there no sound channel is created because you didn't roll the earplug down properly, or didn't pull the ear towards the front of your face so that you fully open up your ear canal and the earplug can slide in. (Don't practice too much with the same pair of earplugs though, after a large enough number of times they stop inflating back to their original size when you roll them down, and you dont want that to happen just prior to the scan. Best case buy two pairs and use one for practice.)

>and, in the worst case, can be extremly painful
[spoiler]for you[/spoiler]