100% legit

what is the highest brow literature

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e_pR1sHHeQU&feature=youtu.be&t=236
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My diary desu

William Gass.

You can't buy good taste, unless I tell you you can, but only from me, square.

Dang it. I fucked up and missed an entire row. What do I win?
Fuck you. India has a caste system. Here, talented people lead fools around by the nose, rape rich people, and laugh behind their backs. Truth.
And we fuck better in shacks than you do in ivory towers, husks.

OOPS! FORGOT MY NEW PIC!
Give me a bunch of thumbs up and I'll turn it into a graphic novel for you heating and cooling company, and then fuck your wife, because she likes adventures

Interesting that this chart links "High-Brow" literature directly to expensive lifestyles... almost as if there were some sort of class thing going on...

>no middle-middle brow

>bridge
>lower middle brow

what?

Why an ashtray from a chemical company?

>Bach and before. Ives and after.

Yes, just disregard an entire two centuries worth art music. So fucking patrician.

Anyone who consciously does this deserves to be necked

youtube.com/watch?v=e_pR1sHHeQU&feature=youtu.be&t=236

> if that is what classical music was I would do something else in my life

>Jacks and mixer higher class than beer

lmao

The highest brow is reading the hailed classics but having high enough status as a person that this comes off as a definite verdict that they really are the best works rather than you just falling for the memes.

found the beer drinking numale

>westerns
>lowbrow

whoever made this is a confirmed faggot.

Westerns were largely complete garbage fifty, forty years ago. Today we remember The Dollars Trilogy and Wild Bunch but not all the crappy mass-produced novels, movies and comics.

What is he reading though?

Nigger where did this come from?

>vogue, harper
>upper middle brow
wew lad. Also any westerner who tends to play go is an obnoxious douchebag without any exceptions.

sturgeon's law applies but you don't know shit if you think there weren't a ton of good western films back then

That chart is from 1949. Western wasn't considered as a serious movie genre until 60's. Besides many of the low brow stuff depicted here is being used by high brow hipsters just for the sake of looking retro.

It'll be like in 50 years time with Superhero movies. You'll have some guy who's only seen Super and BvS saying the genre was great.

>Also any westerner who tends to play go is an obnoxious douchebag
Ressentiment. Get back to the craps table at the lodge.

>Western wasn't considered as a serious movie genre until 60's.
Is this a troll? Many of the best Westerns were pre 49. Howard Hawks did his best cowboy shit then. 60s had a dearth of campy shit.

Please I don't want to see your katana collection Bruce sempai.

>not wearing a fuzzy harris tweed suits with no hat at all times in india

pleb

So, basically, Westerns were the superhero films of their day. Interesting to speculate that in 50 years we might remember Spider-Man 1 as the equivalent to the Searchers, the Dollars Trilogy as the equivalent to Nolan's Batman films, and so on

Not really, not unless some Italian makes a gritty Batman movie without any cheesecakes and sweet hollywood funding.

Way to ignore John Ford who is worth more to the development of cinema than all your favorite new wave directors combined.

me on the top

Wow, an ancient meme.

Why is theater lower than ballet? Sure, theater's got its fair share of crowd pleases, but ballet pre (and still to a large extent post) Stravinsky was bourgeois escapism for the old and adolescenct women of Paris.

It's not bolshoi ballet, it's some modern existentialist type of ballet.

>Today we remember The Dollars Trilogy and Wild Bunch
No, today we remember actually good westerns like The Searchers, Stagecoach and Rio Bravo

Henry James deserves a mention in this thread. Especially the Ambassadors period. More exhausting than later Joyce.

looks like all quiet on the western front

Steve Reich is unbeliavable. Listen to Music for Eighteen Musicians and tell me you're not transfixed.

Whats high- and low-brow?
Sorry, english isn't my mother language.

Except Go is a lot of fun. Would you call an asian that plays Chess a fedoratipper?

I have a lot of respect for C McCarthy but how does he not see James or Proust as good? what gives

This chart would be fine except for the obvious flaw that it implies highbrow is necessarily better than lowbrow. The finest example of why that's wrong is right in the chart: Lowbrow sofa looks comfy as all fuck, highbrow chair looks like a medieval torture device.

Massive lowbrow detected

brb buying fuzzy harris tweed suit

if Harper's is middle-highbrow, what magazine would be highbrow?

Did you mean dearth?

pleb

envy he cant hold a candle to them. he's painfully aware of the fact that he will be forgotten in 50 years while james and proust will continue to be read and studied and canonized

M-Marx?

One of those literary magazines that the CIA funded to troll leftists.

Not him but there's really something off with white men trying to adapt themselves in eastern games and customs. No one would blame an asian who plays a guitar, but trying to imagine some american dude playing koto kinda ticks me off.

>go
>not chess

>modern existentialist type of ballet.

That sounds so unbelievably gay and insufferable.

Is it real?

Good call, no.

Unfortunately yes. You can imagine it as the 200x slowed version of Mettaton Ex fight in Undertale.

It's pretty good bruce. If you want Bolshoi style go for an Opera, that's still quite common.

Why talk about shit you don't know about bruv?

>Playing probably the second most popular classic board game worldwide makes you an insufferable orientalist.

Kill yourself

>it's a /mu/ thread
yikes

Fuck off nigger. I will never ever be in one of those modern performance shit again.

>orientalist
Is this how they call weeaboos in here?

And Reich is the type of artist who is above average but isn't an intellectual or can criticize for shit.

That's way too big to be All Quiet.

So you're just racist?

>avant garde literature
>ballet over theater
>Bach and before, Ives and after
High-brow has got a lot of pretentious shit thrown in there. Is this a troll chart or was it published in the New Yorker a few decades ago?

Actual chart from April 11th, 1949 issue of LIFE

is that chart from 1970s?

I don't see Go as particularly Japanese

tfw I just lost the upper-middle game.

The difference is that superhero films are reliant on expensive licensing of existing characters and lots of special effects, so
1. Only big studios have a chance at them
2. Studios need guaranteed returns, so they focus on wide mass appeal over depth

Its a shame no studios are willing to take the risk of making new superheros that originate in films. Can't think of a single non-comedic one besides Darkman.

That's literally the japanese name for weiqi.

low brow: thinking strictly in terms of binaries (e.g. high-brow/low-brow)

high brow: realizing that reality defies such oversimplifications

> It takes an excellent taste in highbrow to have an excellent taste in lowbrow

> zing

Holy shit this chart is retarded

This pic gave me some sad nostalgia for the lowbrow man. he sounds fun to be around. I don't know anyone who's like that anymore. Too much "highbrow" in the world. we're outta balance

I really need to know what he is reading, update?

Who would even want to be high brow by those standards?

Reminds me of my grandpa except for the beer and craps. He's a fun guy, very positive and curious. He never graduated high school and it makes me guilty for being so hard on plebs. He's a peasant, literally, and he gets upset if he knows the crop is going to be bad even though he hasn't had crops of his own to take care of since youth.

It's fun to drive around with him and listen to him comment on random farms, "Why they're growing so much rapeseed all of a sudden I just don't know, son." He knows a lot about farms.

My grandma is well educated and will scold him if he tells stories that are not likely to be true or even scientifically plausible, but he'll just grin and wink. He's also aware that some racial slurs are no longer appropriate but will occasionally say them because he knows my brother and I find it hilarious.

FREEMASONS BTFO'd

The world is left wanting for more people like him! Almost every peasant is a good man... almost every aristocrat is a bad one. I would rather live in a world of good, ignorant men than in a world of overeducated perverts, morbids, or parricides.

Now you literally admit that you're lowbrow