Going over something with derivatives in class

>going over something with derivatives in class
>fucking engineer asks a question
>"when you derive that function, shouldn't...."
>derive

I fucking hate engineers so much.

the only thing i want derived are my categories

what's the difference from deriving and differentiating? better yet why call it a derivative and not a differential?

A differential is the little "d" in the [math] \frac{ dy}{dx} [/math]

so you're saying that in the derivative dy/dx,, the subscript d is the differential? that's it?

>subscript

dx, dy, dz, dr, d(whatever) are differentials. A derivative is the ratio of differentials.

well it's a subscript to the whole function isn't it?

Hey man, I'm an engineering major and I get autistically mad when someone says derive instead of differentiate. I think it's a product of people cramming math concepts and regurgitating it on the exam, not really understanding it.

no

Me too, but I still hate engineers. Most are insufferable.

t. elite 1st year math major taking calc 1 in college when he should've taken it in high school

>not derivative, derive, and derivential
>not derivative, deriventiate and derivential
>not difference, differentiate, and differential

It's clear mathematicians can't into words properly

nah you are just an autistic like op
"derive" is OK as long as it is clear from the context that you mean "taking the limit of the difference quotient"

>"derive" is OK as long as it is clear from the context that you mean "taking the limit of the difference quotient"

>implying people who use "derive" actually understand that they are "taking the limit of the difference quotient"

>an autistic
yeah let's trust this guy when it comes to how to use words

actually that's correct
"autist" is not a word

and autistic is an adjective.

also a noun

austism is a flower

found the >engineer

The people who ask the dumbest questions usually end up having the best understanding of the material.

this has absolutely nothing to do with the question he asked

Suck my cock, that's wrong you brainet faggot
A differential is the linear operator that best approximates a function around a point. The rigorous definition is that you decompose the function around a point as the sum of its value in said point, the differential, and a small o of the distance from said point.
When working from R to R a derivative is a differential

>When working from R to R a derivative is a differential
Can you give an example where derivative is not a differential? t. engineer undergrad

Maybe English isn't his native language, in which case he speak two languages and you only one

By the way : [math]\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{dt}{dy} = \frac{dx}{dy}[/math]
Prove me wrong, mathfags

lol.
I'm still not going to stop using it, autistic mathfag.

you retarded nigger
reminder everyone secretly cringes when you do

i dont understand

dx/dy

don't the d's just cancel out

yep

Yeah

I don't need to prove you wrong, since your statement is correct.

dx/dt is an expression of the rate of change of x, with respect to the variable t.

dt/dy is an expression of the rate of change of t, with respect to the variable y.

If you can find both these things, you can use them to find dy/dx

"dy" and "dx" are separate expressions, and the "d" not a variable in itself.
dy/dx is an expression used to compare variables, not a fraction

an x/y is linear graph, so i dont get whats so hard about calc hahaha totally gonna fail this final BUT I DONT GIVE A SINGLE FUCK NIGGA

>Dy/dx is not a fraction
>Yfw using separation of variables to solve differential equation

im in engineering we do cancel the d's in dy/dx all the time, i get straight As

yeah you cancel the ds by doing the integral

we just do the simple ones where we can just cancel without doing the integral . we were shown how to do the integratin but its to advanced for the class for now

listen buddy, those are called infinitessimals.

That's not as bad as when people say
>then you times it by [thing]

lmao it's literally the opposite of deriving
you just add 1 to the power instead of subtract

I don't blame you though it's pretty advanced stuff

Translation errors between different languages are common and irrelevant.

nope the guy was clearly American

I meant between Math and English

yes

>everyone secretly cringes
no they don't you autist.

Ok, then what about [math]\frac{dx}{dt} dt = dx [/math]

HahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahaha

yeah they do lmao

>Leibniz notation
Why aren't you using [math]\lambda[/math] calculus to express differential calculus yet?

>Chain rule
This has nothing to do with multiplication of fractions.

That's just the transformation from one variable to another when integrating.

your chain of hahas reminds me of a sinusoid

>being this autistic about terminology

lol are you dumb? You simply have the differential equation

dx/dt = dx/dt

if you flip dt to the other side

and the solution is any function x(t) because its derivative will equal its derivative you dummy dumb dumb.

no. you can't divide elements of the dual space
>my notational heuristic tricks are real math
this is a heuristic. this notation doesn't mean anything, it brings to mind the idea of relating integrals
fuck off

the question is why you can do these retarded notation tricks. you're making several applications of chain rule + inverse function theorem

>>my notational heuristic tricks are real math
Isn't that the whole point of math?

A derivative is a mathematical object resulted after a differentiation. A differential is a slight change. In the classic delta-epslon limit's definition, the differential is the smallest number such as it is > 0.

The equal sign here is not transitive, dx is deduced from the member of the right

Not quite, the variables need to me relates somehow.

It's because english is weird. "Deriving" doesn't actually have anything to do with derivatives, it means something like "proving" or "deducing", whereas "differentiating" refers both to the computation of the derivative of a function (ie. a scalar), and to the computation of the differential of a function (ie. a linear map), which are two different (though related) concepts.
In french we have two words: "dériver" to say "compute (partial) derivatives" and "différentier" to say "compute the differential".

Never heard "différencier". "Calculer la différentielle", yes.

Say we have a function from R^2 to R.
This function is 0 for every point of the domain, except for points that lie on x1 = x2, x1 > 0 (branch of parabola domain), there, the function is 1.

Now if you take the directional derivatives in 0, they all exist and are 0, but the function is not differentiable

* x1 = x2^2
Sorry for the mistake

Ok, thanks!

"The amperage through a resistor in parallel with another can be calculated by timesing the total amperage by the value of the other resistor, and slashing it with both values plussed together."
"The wattage is just voltage timesed by amperage."
"The sin (literally says 'sin') function is the antiderivative of the cos function."
"The dirac delta function is infinity at x = 0."

>"The wattage is just voltage timesed by amperage."
correct, unless it's a function of time

This thread is more about taking issue with other people's choice of words.
The rest of my statements are equally true, if poorly worded.

I'm an engineer and we never use that kind of terms

>"The amperage through a resistor in parallel with another can be calculated by timesing the total amperage by the value of the other resistor, and slashing it with both values plussed together."

Nobody actually talks like this, right?

why are you all so autistic, you all know what the guy in OP is trying to say.

yeah but why not just use the correct word

Calm down freshman.

Shit, I hadn't thought of that. Welp guess I'll scrap this dissertation on triple integrals