Who /CommunityCollege/ here?

Who /CommunityCollege/ here?

Since I know 60% of you fags go to one, why don't we discuss; what school you go to, and what University you plan on transferring into?

Also, general CC discussion. Also, this is a BULLY-FREE ZONE. Be nice.

Other urls found in this thread:

smc.edu/NewsRoom/Pages/Stanford-University-Awards-Full-Scholarship-to-SMC-Student.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1. SBCC
2. Harvard University

can you guys explain me what this community college shenanigans is all about?
t. not amerifat

uni for idiots and poor people

what part of no bully zone did you not understand?

uh so is it free? what kind of degree can you get here? can you get an habilitation there? (for law, engineering, teaching, et cetera)

Normally you transfer to a university after 2 years, and it's not free though it is very cheap.

It's a good idea to knock out your bullshit gen ed courses there then transfer to real uni for the real stuff.

You can get associate degrees like accounting and vocational training or

German here, we have a similar thing to CCs here, but it's nothing to do with how much money you have. It's called Fachhochschule and it's for brainlets. Good chances of getting a well payed job, regardless

I spent 3 years at CC, first quarter at UCLA doing pure math. I was math at my CC as well, it was pretty fun. Last math class I took there was calculus on manifolds. Shit was tough, but I was thoroughly prepared for UCLA's honors math courses.

Recently transferred out of community college purgatory. Didn't really have a clear goal after HS so it gave me a chance to fail at different things without having to worry too much about dropping out and wasting money. It also knocked out most of my GE requirements. I also got an A.S. to pad my resume because the recommended requirements for transfer were the requirements for an A.S. Managed to get into a decent school I probably wouldn't have gotten into had I applied out of High School. I would highly recommend it to anyone on a budget and/or didn't get into anywhere good for their major.

Low cost colleges open to anyone with a pulse who wants to get some form of education. Their programs generally grant certificates and at most an Associate's degree. They also serve as a path into universities for people who fucked up in high school (Or life) and want to get back into higher education.

>Normally you transfer to a university after 2 years
That's the theory. In practice it will take much longer due to the fundamental law of nature which dictates that the exact class you need to get into fills up the day before your registration date.

>tfw googling UC curriculums and tests
>tfw my CC has a more rigorous math curriculum than most of them

can confirm
i'm planning to write a "bait" BSc/BEng thesis just to transfer to better school, with "good enough" recommendations

bump

>tfw already have a bachelor's degree but neet due to disability and thinking of enrolling in a local cc and taking random anthropology and psychology courses just to give my life meaning

kill me

>It's called Fachhochschule and it's for brainlets
>getting a well payed job
>payed job
>payed

Ich frage mich nun, wer nun ein Brainlet ist.

t. Info FH.

(Btw. CC is not FH equivalent; get your facts straight)

Pierce College
Cal State Northridge EE and French
UC Berkeley MS EE

Did anyone else feel like CC had some grade inflation? I got an A in calc 3, physics 2 and ODE and now that im in Uni, i got an A in statics, B in material science, C in thermo 1 and A in intro to engineering.

Why did you take calc 3 in CC? Were you there for like 4 years or something before you eventually transferred?

It was $116 /credit hour at CC and its $217 /credit hour at my uni.

I took 93 credit hours at my CC and itll still be cheaper than the 60 i have to take at uni.

My uni wouldnt let me transfer until i had ODE and calc 3 with a B or higher on my transcript.

No worse than high school. Many freshman watch their gpa tumble in college.

Your question makes no sense.

>$116
Damn what State are you in? Mine's $42.

>paying for credits

Must suck living in the US.
Not that much _FREE_dom, eh?

Greetings from Germany.

For what degree?

All you need to transfer to a Uni is general education requirements. Those aren't related to major.

Miami

You are wrong. To transfer, you need to have completed all of the lower division courses related to your major. Gen eds are also required but some Universities don't require them.

Mechanical engineering. Apparently, they expect us to have so much coming out of CC because they dont respect CC very much. So if you can pass ODE with a B or higher, you may survive junior and senior courses.

>don't respect cc
>demand you get all of your important math foundations from cc

doesn't make sense desu

Every Uni has its own transfer requirements. Typically its up to the department the student is applying for. Most of the time, early transfer students will apply for the wrong department to get their foot in the door and then change majors once the prereqs are completed.

People were transfering with Cs in physics and calc 2 so the uni raised the bar for transfer. Now you have to get better grades in harder classes to enroll at my uni.

I don't know what Calc 3 means, but for UCSD the M.E. requirement was probably what is considered Calc 2 for you. Which happens to be the general requirement for an A.S. anyway.

it means math 21c and 20e you slant eyed gook fuck
from a white cal/ucla reject who hates asians

Calc 3 is vector analysis, multivariable calculus, new approaches to calc, such as polar coordinates and any other topics they stuff into the last chapters of a 2000 page calc book.

In MN transferring to the U of M next fall. Should be there right now but my art credits from an AP class conveniently dissapeared, so i had to send them again and it was too late by the time they got them since CSE only accepts during fall.

Getting my gpa up this year from a 2.6 so I dont look like a retard who just abused the transfer curriculum. Getting a 4.0 this semester feels good mang, I'm gonna make it.

How hard is Calc 3 really?

>hear precalc is hard
>finish it in 2 weeks before placement test
>hear calc 1 is hard
>never go to class, study 4 hours before each test, get A
>hear calc 2 is hard
>do same thing as calc 1
I havent taken 3 yet but I'd imagine it is going to follow the same pattern. It comes down to if you personally, the average person is a brainlet so of course they will say its hard.

Best thing about CC is how easy it is to bag all the single moms there.
Remember: One kid; she's good to go
Two kids; You've Struck gold
Three Kids; Anal is on the table.

why is that bad. I knew plenty of people at my CC who already had bachelor's but were taking extra courses either to prepare for master's or just because they wanted something to do

Calc 2 >> calc 1 > calc 2

Precal was actually the hardest of all 3 for me. But i started out as a brainlet

Calc 3 at the end

I found calc 1,2,3 difficult but I think its because I was out of school for 2/3 years. Also I've never had a good foundation for it, I put in so much effort to get a barely passing mark. Now I don't have to work half as hard and get 90%+.

seriously for me linear algebra, group theory, discrete. Its all easy compared to that first year of calc, next semester is ODE though....

EdinBRUH uni next year. Applied math and stats. Wish me brain-power.

geh zurück zur Schule und "studier" deine sinnlose scheiße. und bitte erzähl jedem 3x täglich davon, dass ihr schließlich keine Theoretiker werden wollt, ich glaub es haben noch nicht alle verstanden.

I went to community college. It was a great choice.

CC-> state uni -> cornell

I have zero regrets, and, I will actually encourage people to go to CC

>cornell
This was my exact plan as well. Cornell has different reqs for junior transfers in my major though, and I don't want to be another year behind. But my uni is by no means bad so its alright

If you want to be kick ass

Learn the following before you apply for transferring

I'm going to apply to cal tech to take their entrance exam

If I get in great

If i don't I'll apply elsewhere and show my scores as proof I know what I'm talking about

going to a transfer college is the best choice, went from a CC to UCSB, saved a shit ton of money for the same education.

Hilariously the Ochem classes at my CC were harder than the ones at the UC (took half the series at CC the other at UCSB)

Bist du mett? Weil du ziemlich mett rüber kommst Du Erstie. Interessanterweise habe ich vor dem FH Studium bereits einen B.Sc. Chemie an der TU Berlin gemacht und muss sagen, dass ich das FH-Studium wesentlich zeitaufwendiger und weniger verschult empfinde als das vorige. Jedenfalls, Erstie, auch Du wirst am Ende die Erkenntnis bekommen, dass es in der Industrie noch auf die Hochschulform ankommt und Research beruflicher Sodoku ist (die eh nur den Top 2% vorbehalten ist).

Not true.

Smart poor people can get scholarships at their state university.

The best thing about CC is you will never be asked for your transcript after you finish college, just you four year school records. I had lots of Ws and a few Cs but did very well at UC Irvine.

not that hard and the best class
it is calculus 1 with the z-axis thrown in

Not always: In California most of us do not get into UCLA/CAL, but do get into the other - what we call 'reject UC schools' - so you can go to UCSD or UCSD, or go to CC and try again for your first choice school. If you do not get in the second time around you can go to one of the others and you saved money. Only bad side to CC is not living on a campus and being part of the school community. As a transfer a four year school can still feel like you are in CC.

This girls went from Santa Monica College to full ride at Stanford. It can be done; when transferring to an elite school you will be competing against university students.

smc.edu/NewsRoom/Pages/Stanford-University-Awards-Full-Scholarship-to-SMC-Student.aspx

I know there was a guy who transferred from LA Valley College to Caltech a few years ago.

Not if you don't have the high school grades to back it up. Or if you've been gone from high school too long, there's no point in applying to a state school just to pay 2, 3, or more times more for the same general education courses that you could have got from a community college.

Im at community right now. Mostly because im undecided on what to major on and dont want to waste my money with uni tuition if i end up taking a course i wont need after switching majors. Im fulfilling all my basic courses so i can transfer into any major i want when i apply for uni

Community college student here,

I plan to transfer to a major UC when I'm finished, good times, though I can't fuck up with math any more. What are your guys opinions on school involvement? Does that really help your transfer potential?

My school has an honors to honors program which I intend to complete that will help/guarantee my chances to transfer to my choice school.
Anyone have any cool research experiences? There is a bunch in my area but I still feel like I do not know enough to be a good candidate.

Or they do what my CC did and tack on an extra bullshit requirement right before you get your AS...in my school's case, "multiculturalism" requirement...as if 4 semesters of White Guilt History weren't enough.

Fucking Bastards.

Went to Pierce College and Moorpark, transferred out, finished my bachelor's and I'm back again taking Diffy Qs. I don't even know what I'm doing with my life tbqh lads.

kek i went to moorpark and dropped out after a month, realized even the time investment isn't worth it. I've made more learning progress just lurking here than bullshit GE cuck shit.

>tfw senpai keeps asking what im doing with my life
>im learning
>but what r u learning
>um..............................
>???
>ummmmm....provemewrongfaggot
>what did you just say 2 me user
>i said im spending hours studying stuff
>yea but what
>stuff
>wow user is gonna be such a failure kek
;-;

Hes said State not city you fucking retard

Not really. A good GPA + a good letter are what matters. I just wrote in mine that I worked full time with retarded people and I was busy all of the time and I got into a UC

>being so bad at math you need to take a class in lower div diffeq

Jej

how's your minimum wage job at albertson's?

I am from Sweden, we have nothing but free college. Living the dream

most offer 2 year degrees but some are offering 4 years
universities offer 4 years
also collede for idiots

>das Gefühl wenn top 2%
>fühltsichgutanmann.jpg

t. jemand mit Job in F&E

loool anyone who didn't get their associate degree in cc before transferring to uni is a fu king tard

At pierce now. Transfer fall 2017

I'm currently attending university and I believe that I'm the idiot for not going to CC for my first 2 years

Been going to CC off and on for some time. Going to the top university in my state for Geology next semester. Just finished my exams today.

Feels good to have finally seen some progress and focus in on my actual degree field now.

I really don't value the majority of elective bs I had to take. With that said, CC has saved me a ton of money and I got in to a great school.... now I have sweet sweet gi bill too.

I had a solid GPA and am in the Guard.... I belonged to no clubs whatsoever and wasn't required to get a letter of recommendation. I'm a straight white male too.

I stumbled through 3 years at CC, somehow got into UC Santa Cruz, graduated cum laude in two years and have a shiny piece of paper. 9/10 experience, can recommend.

Only downside is that I felt rushed. That is to say, I didn't have enough time to really get to know my professors or to do any independent research. I knew what I wanted to major in from the beginning so I would have been in a much better spot if given the whole four years; probably would have even done a combined bachelor's/master's.

Is Avo in your diff eqs class? I'm taking physics with him right now.

I'M GRADUATING BITCHES! JUST WENT TO THE TRANSFER ORIENTATION AT MY NEW UNIVERSITY. AFTER FOUR FUCKING YEARS OF COMMUNITY COLLEGE.

Das it mane. I was chronically ill after high school and had to balance my course load with my health, took me 3 and a half to get out from a CC. Good job for hanging in there. A lot of people don't know how hard it is when you have to drag it out with normal life.

Good job man, you done it. Make sure to kick ass at your new uni.

I go to a community college around St. Louis MO.
You can probably guess which one.
I want to transfer to whichever one offers a good program that'd get me into working on transhumanist things.
Not sure how I'll do it, but it's a goal.

Been lagging it; stuck in JC for 6 years now because I haven't focused on it enough. At times doing one course per school year.

Now focusing 100% and doing full time courses straight into Mechanical Engineering. Putting all my chips into a STEM degree perhaps shooting for masters. Steadily cleaned up all my bad grades and GPA going to 3.0 soon. Shooting for 4.0. I feel like an oldfag having just been doing dead end work all these years when I could have just buckled down and finished in 4.

When is too late too late when it comes to higher education? Am I too oldfag now at 26?

>Am I too oldfag now at 26?
Nah there are people in their late 20s and 30s on university campus, they're grad students though. I'm 22 and I'm just getting into uni. If you're a bit older than everyone, you can just be the wise and respected college oldfag like Higuchi from Tatami Galaxy.

>Average grades white female
>Parents to rich for scholarships
>Parents to poor for uni
>Enroll in cc program in biotech
>Not even two years ended up working
>Preclinical research with stem cell device therapy
>Making bank and i don't even have my associates
>Set to graduate in spring then onto BU

I went back at 23, buckled down and kept my grades high, became a leader within the community and the college, and was able to build great relationships with my instructors. EE btw.

Why? Associates degrees are worthless.

>and what University you plan on transferring into
this part right here is what the meme should be
having to get your degree from a "good" school for it to mean something means you picked a retarded degree with limited job potential
that's high risk and high stress position to put yourself in - and you haven't even graduated yet

man i really thought i had fucked up by not getting into oxford, you guys have made me feel better though, thanks!

>collede

heh, idiot

Every teacher of mine at CC is a PhD. All published, and one is well respected with a book on differential maths.

It's actually a solid program.

"Payed" is technically correct, just an archaic spelling.

t. Britbong

Yeah, this. The CC is went to had professors there that also taught at the near 4 year state university.

I'm in community college. All my math and science courses, my classmates cheat their way through. It's psychologically draining to me, rspecially since i'm busting my ass to keep up.

The survey humanities and social science courses i'm forced to sit thru are full of retards.

Currently go to college of dupage in Illinois. I want to go to either penn state or move out of the country and study internationally.

Or people who actually don't want to waste money.

/r9k/

My college is plagued with this problem as well, to the point where I can recite word for word each professor's "Don't cheat" speech that they give before exams

Why not just read on your own... the softer the science, the more the quality of education varies. Anthro classes at a CC will be hot garbage.

I went to a CC in MD to get an AS in CIS, maintained good grades, and got into a BS n Comp Sci at a school i wouldn't have gotten into out of high school and with way more scholarship opportunities. I don't know why they get a bad rep, cheap, good teachers who worked/works in their field, makes getting into a good uni much easier.

Piss easy if you did decently in Calc 1.

It's all the same stuff, except you do derivatives and integrals with 2-3 variables instead of just x or y. A bit of vector stuff too which isn't hard if you have some geometric sense.

It's actually weird to me that we teach calc 3 after the material in calc 2. I feel like, in terms of material, it should be covered like

>Precalculus, algebra, trig
>Calculus 1 material - derivatives, anti derivatives, chain rule
>Calculus 3 material - derivatives and integrals of several variables, vectors, multiple integrals, arc length, surface area
>Calculus 2 material - techniques of integration, infinite series and sequences

in that order. I really dont understand why a huge spike in difficulty going from Calc 1 to calc 2 is there if you end up not using anything from calc 2 in calculus 3 beyond maybe integration by parts if your professor is kind of a dick

Vulgar, but hilariously succinct. Find the one hot black chick in your calculus class and flirt with her. She has 2 jobs and is barely passing classes and needs some D in her life. Trust me.

l got into UCSD out of community college somehow. I had a 3.4 and basically no extracurriculars unless they thought my powerlifting and high school football career was cool

I honestly have no idea how I got into UCSD. I probably shouldn't be here