What are you reading right now?

Post what you are reading and make suggestions for other anons.

i suggest you continue to read it

Solaris

The Canterbury Tales, the modern translation from Nevill Coghill.

It's pretty good, can't believe how much cucking there is though

Ulysses and War and Peace.

Almost done Ulysses, really sad to see my first read through coming to a close. It's been a very special experience.

War and Peace is very good too, but I've got about 2/3 of the book left, it's very fun to read. It's my easy side book for when Ulysses got too taxing

Visions of Cody

we already have a thread for this

Samuel Butler - The Way of All Flesh

Almost done. Very comfy book. Wish I belonged to a Hungarian gentleman's club. It sounds like a blast. Except for the dying of cirrhosis before you're 60.

Also some book on UFO's that nobody has read

It had its few moments, but so far mostly existentialist fairy tale that has been way overdone since it was published

Tom Sawyer

Would you recommend this user? What do you like about it, what is it similar to?

Liking it so far, almost half way through, quite funny. Love some characters and hate some others. The sparse bits of non-dialogue prose are beautiful

Oops, forgot pic

decameron

Yes, I would recommend it. It's a bittersweet tale about an aging Hungarian couple who send their ugly spinster daughter away to her uncle's for a week and have a hell of a good time. But they're still sad about their daughter's lonely life and uncertain future.
It reminds me a bit of Chekov but the father's gentleman's club is a bit more boisterous than Chekov's characters.

Me too!

so good

Haven't started this yet, do you guys recommend it?

I'm trying to get more acquainted with travel writing. For class I'm re-reading Moby Dick and re-re-re-reading Canterbury Tales.

i liked it. im not a huge franzen fan but i grew up in the midwest and this totally depicts the dismantling of a nuclear middle class family and what happens to its children as a result.

one hundo years of solitude

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Phillip K. Dick. And in free time at work, Notes From the Underground, Dostoyevsky.

Thackeray's Vanity Fair
I'm liking it, has it's moments, but generally pretty comfy

This thread

War & Peace, I just finished Stoner, and today I start my first Pynchon, TCoL49.

Hello, I too am reading W&P. What translation are you using? What do you think so far? I'm about 1/5-3/10 of the way through, toward the end of Volume I.

i'm reading the count of monte cristo, it's great times

this is my favourite ever. something about it just dug right into my soul.

That's a nice cover.

Juggling between this and The Origin of Species.

One of the current john green threads and I really don't know why. Wouldn't recommend

The INTP Quest by Dr A J Drenth

Irrational Man by William Barrett

Oblomov by

Cycling through these three

At the Mountains of Madness

Naked Lunch

I'm new pls no bully

shit me too user. how far are you? do you enjoy it?
I fucking love it I don't get how si many people find it boring. You just get sucked into whale fishing and sea and all that.

Hey, I'm also reading War and Peace, the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. I'm really enjoying it, I like this translation as well as it keeps the parts in French from the original and has a historical appendix.

>The Concept of Anxiety and Journey to the End of the Night.

I won't ever finish either.

Этa книгa мoжeт быть интepecнa тoлькo ecли тeбe yжe зa 30. И eщe мнe кaжeтcя, пpи пepeвoдe былo yтepянo дoвoльнo мнoгo интepecнoгo. И чeгo жe тeбя тaк пoтянyлo нa тoлcтыe книги?

I just read A Hero of Our Time, and loved it, any suggestions?

Suggestion about what? Do you want similar writing or story?

I'm at chapter 60 or page 325 and loving every bit of it so far even though i don't have a lot of time to read lately.
I guess i can see why they find it boring since it doesn't really have a lot of action you would expect. But it definitely makes up for that with all the information about whaling and clever stories.

What do you think of the cover of the version that i posted? i feel like the other covers look and fit the contents better.

I'd love more of Pechorin, if you understand what I mean.

Which Bukowski book to start with

Onegin, Pushkin

post office.

Fathers and Sons of course. It's the closest thing I can think of. The Brothers Karamazov to see the final form of the unnecessary man.

I'm reading P&V too, I agree with you that it seems a good translation. As you said, the preservation of the original French is a good reason to use this edition. What do you think about the book so far? Where are you?

almost done with Thus Spoke Zarathustra, was amazing.

>nyrb :3

"1984" by George Orwell and "Heretics" by Chesterton

I quite like the cover but it's true it doesn't fit the atmosphere and content of the book. I quite like covers like pic related where Moby-Dick is depicted as this ghost eerie leviatan that induces fear and respect. on the other hand I hate when they exagarate the size of the white whale.

I'm reading Ulysees and The Shoemaker's Holiday. Both for uni. Ulysees is so good, though I'm sure a lot of the allusions are lost on me.

This lil guy here. Im almost done. Its alright.

I just read it and loved it. Great characters

Good shit.
If you like that check out:
John Scalzi - Old Man's War
Timothy Zahn - Cobra Trilogy
Marko Kloos - Frontlines Trilogy

Pretty darn good.
His best work, IMO.

If you enjoy that and haven't yet, you should read Catch-22. I've just finished The Beetle Leg and started Butcher's Crossing. An unintentional Western kick.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra, it's for a class.

Seconded. Read it recently and really enjoyed it. Where to from here?

I will. Thanks for the recs.

I have the feeling I got memed, but It's an enjoyable meme

You like horror?

You like gothic horror?

I got your fucking horror.

Sweet jesus I got your fucking gothic horror.

Nice, I'm working on that too

The Wasp Factory - can't finish last 30 pages.

War of The Worlds - brutally decent.
Watchmen - son suggested I read it - well written for a comic.

Well worth the read - one of the best anti-war novels. Up there with AQOTWF, Catch-22 and Dispatches.

Just finished Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard.

Needed a break from the incredibly dense prose and started reading this.

I'm really digging this.

Anyone know of any grimy immersive southern gothic novels or short stories?

i'm starting with the Greeks.

I fucking loved this book.

This is CUMFEE and also reading infinite jest but taking a quick break at about 450 pages so I don't burn out

Lot 49 is super good. I read it in a day and enjoyed every moment

hamilton was comfy. Be it a bit wikipediaish.
Enjoy your roadtrip with the Greeks, I've enjoyed it a lot and still am.

>burning out on IJ
just kill yourself already

You are missing 2/3 of the book, nigger.

I'm reading the P&V collection of Leo Tolstoy stories. I have read The Prisoner of the Caucasus and The Diary of a Madman so far. I liked the first but am not really sure what to think about the second, it was unfinished I think.

Literally finnegans wake

Moliere don juan
Thanks to him i started to like comedies.
Already've read misanthrope and tartuffe, and loved them both. Any playwriter like him?

230 pages in and I still can't understand what's the appeal of this thing.

Infinite jest. Enjoying tyranny soldiers and kids locker room hijinks

Froisaart's chronicles

>what you are reading
The Demon Princes, Vol. 1
by Jack Vance

>suggestion for other anons
Lyonesse

Don juan i found very underwhelming. Almost every comedy i know though i'm missing out on about 90% of it by reading it and not seeing it live.

Moliere didn't even want to publish his plays, he only did it cause plagiarism or something of the sort.

I'd recommend Richard Brinsley Sheridan, he's got some hilarious plays.

I still don't understand though how playwrights from the greek times to 1800s the most enlightened eras used over and over siblings coming together to bring a play to its conclusion.

Oh you're my sister and i'm your brother, we're actually nobles well our fathers won't be mad at who we choose now.

Try some Flannery O'Connor. Her short stories or Wise Blood.

Reading pic related. It's been a long time since I've read any Thompson and it's a nice reintroduction to his prose. Apparently it was written way before his established catalogue but one of the last novels he published before he died. It's pretty comfy.

What is it about?

The ideal Moby Dick cover shouldn't even have the whale on it imo. 95% of the book is Melville's digressions on life. Synthesis of concepts he picked up from elsewhere. The book is so much more than just whaling.

This, finding it boring as hell, especially as half the philosophers believed the same things and the book just repeats itself over and over

Looking forward to finishing this so i can finally start reading The Greek Sophists and then I can finally, finally start Plato

All the King's Men by Warren

Thanks for recommendation, i'll look into his works later.
What you don't like about don juan? I persanally enjoy his dialogs with Sganarel, and there are some funny scenes as well as some great scenes like when Don Juan saved Don Carlos.

Guys, does anyone know where to find "Pain and Retribution" by David Wilson for free ?

Paradise Lost by John Milton
The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare.

I always smile when I see this on Veeky Forums as the recommended starting place for the Greeks because I've had a copy since I was probably twelve that I got from my grandparents book collection after they passed.

More plays should be written in verse

by Goncharov, motherfucker. You aren't liking it? Why disrespect the author, it takes a second to look his name up? Or you could just omit mentioning the name entirely, would be fine as well.
Sorry, just a triggered Russian passing by.

For a health care worker who doesn't really give much of a shit about his patients it's quite inspirational.