Why is academic research generally years behind top secret military research?

Why is academic research generally years behind top secret military research?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASON_(advisory_group)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA
tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Significantly less financial backing

you're a retard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASON_(advisory_group)

* Budget
* Job security. Finishing something in the military won't end your job/finances.

Doesn't the military pay their valuable employees significantly less than corporations though?

Some brains are worth millions a year, I doubt the military would ever do that though.

>Some brains are worth millions a year, I doubt the military would ever do that though

>what is the manhattan project

>Doesn't the military pay their valuable employees significantly less than corporations though?

The military invests several billions from their astronomical budget into their projects so that's pretty unlikely

Found the shill

Military throws money at things until they work and encorages thinking outside the box. "Academia researches" care only about their credentials and not losing their paycheck.

I'll pretend you guys gave actual evidence.

Well how the fuck does one get started then?
DARPA?
what credentials do they want?

What sort of tech has been yielded by this so called "too secret research"?

>manhattan project

Contemporaneously

The easiest way would be to do an officer training program like ROTC during undergrad while studying a hard science. Then, serve for a length of time while the military funds your grad school and then work your way in to military research channels. I imagine that there are several ways, but most of the guys that get hired to those sorts of government positions are military brass of some kind while being highly educated. Also, things like being an Eagle Scout really help when you're trying out to be the tip of the spear -- in combat or defense research.

>years behind
More like half a century, at least. The reason should be obvious. Academia has no 'need to know' and would pose a threat to national security. Advanced fundamental (!) physics was never in the public domain because it has been weaponized from the get-go and academia has to be kept out of the loop.

I'm an eagle scout. However, I've been denied to the military for health reasons.
How can a civilian do this?

monet

Ah well I'm sure you would still be a strong candidate. Also serving doesn't necessarily mean combat/armed forces activity. I'm pretty sure you could serve as an engineer on a Naval ship, for instance, and that would qualify.

AFAIK, having military experience just makes it a lot easier but it isn't a requirement.

What physics is known by the military that isn't known to the general public? Does the military have quantum computers that we don't know about? I doubt it.

>quantum computing research in 1996
What?

They have bases on Mars and Saturn moons.

Why is academia such a waste of time and money?

It's a secret.

Because they're there to avert attention from the real science done in the military black projects.

haha yeah doom was a great game I agree

Money

I do wonder what kinds of stuff the black projects have churned out in the last decade, especially in regards to micro-surveillance.

So essentially, if there was ever a unifying theory of physics we wouldn't have the slightest clue because for >80 years (I am working from WWII) progress in fundamental physics has been classified?

What might a disclosure timeline look like if a country could weaponise a unified theory? It seems like the best move would be spread as much misinfo as possible and guard the literal secrets to the universe...

That all depends on how much of a conspiratard you are. Everything from proper ram-jet designs to a Mars Base lead by Cyborg-Adolf

beat me to it

Nasa (everthing included) 18,724 million
Military (r&d only) 68,000 million
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp

And how exactly do they prevent academic physicists from discovering what they've supposedly known for decades?

Funding.

anyone who thinks the military/government is hiding magic is a fucking idiot

the only thing about the military is that they go far down uneconomic research paths

I agree that conspiritards take their theories about classified r&d too far. But don't deny that military technology, both public and secret, is more advanced than its civilian counterpart.

I thinks its believable that at most they've secretely developed fusion energy. Maybe anti-gravity if an old aerospace magazine article is anything to go by.

The military has nuclear powered vehicles, nuclear weapons, aerospace tech, railguns and laser weaponry on ships, drone armies, invisibility, combat robots and exoskeltons.

The magic is real.

A lot of that rechnology is public knowledge though. However, they have more advanced versions of the tech than publicly
acknowledged.

I don't that whatever military research comes up with is that much more advanced than what we currently have. Maybe back in the 1950s and 1960s, you could make this case due to the Cold War, but currently I don't think so.

>I thinks its believable that at most they've secretely developed fusion energy. Maybe anti-gravity if an old aerospace magazine article is anything to go by.
Fusion is just a question of "can you go big enough" now, the theory is all there. Anti-grav not so much, but the EM drive is a step closer.

>The military has nuclear powered vehicles, nuclear weapons, aerospace tech, railguns and laser weaponry on ships, drone armies
Yes, this is all well known and documented.

>invisibility, combat robots and exoskeltons
Not so much this stuff, but there's plenty of pop sci coverage about how they're working on it.

The US military drops nearly a million dollars on the training and equipment for the basic grunt, not including wages.

Academic research is about publishing research papers and getting your undergrad students to cite you and getting funding for next year.

because the finest scientists get hired by companies, start making bank, those companies sell services to military, etc, etc. academia is generally for people that dont want to work that hard or cant get hired by great companies who do great research.

this x100 except in cases where there's not really any market value.

its no wonder they are all lowkey communists.

I sure do love entrusting basic research to corporate entities. Long views, risk-taking on projects whose results may take decades to return results, let alone aprofit, and focus on benefit to all are all hallmarks of corporate benificence. I mean, how else would we have discovered the McDonald's boson?

My reasons for suspecting conspiracy theorists are right about secret anti-grav tech was an article from 1992 in Aviation Week where an interviewed black project engineer mentioned "dramatic technologies" that were related to "aircraft control and propulsion".

Accidents and lack of funding.

Natural for humans to hold on to valuable information that gives them an advantage amongst other humans they don't trust/aren't their kin.

Imagine a group of primitives. One of them finds a cave of sharp rocks that are easy to fashion into weapons. That primitive isn't very likely to share it's findings with others if it can use this new information to gain power and prestige. If everyone had access to it, then his value would be less.

But none of the science behind any of it is unknown to those outside the military research/industrial groups. They have just perfected practical methods of utilizing the concepts.

This is a phenomena that is outside of the military industry. Any academic who has a theory will first try a small scale (if even possible) experiment as a proof of concept, and then big buisness will swoop in and buy him out or fund his research with the condition it is now owned by them.

But it is less to do with keeping the information hidden, because that is never possible in the long run, but to ensure they have rights/patents on that technology and can use them to secure advantages in that industry.

Imprison their Minds in the Scientific Method and tell them the Material World is all there is.

What have SETI and String Theory in common? Deliberate misdirection.
"That's how it works." - Ben Rich, Lockheed Skunk Works director from 1975 to 1991

It's simple. It's because of budgets and experience. For instance USA military budget is roughly 610 billion dollars while education roughly gets 73 billion. Now after you have been through this schooling system you roughly learned enough to work at lockheed but you don't know the actual ins and outs. Thats what they discovered with the Manhatten project: how do you separate scientists so the can only know a part of the puzzle. Thats mostly what intelligence agencies try to figure out each day. Thats why they are called intelligence agencies. Fuck are you guys all stupid I thought you guys were the smartest on Veeky Forums?

This is true even at regular companies. One person will not know how to make a flavor at a food company - for example.

>dramatic technologies
But that's very vague user, it could "just" be something like nuclear rockets or some weird and effective modification of current jet technology, you don't have to go full "ayy lmao they're using element 113 to power Die Glocke".

i remember seeing job openings for the US army engineering research firm for optical camouflage. they had a korean gamer girl try out our skimpy body suits :^)

So does there exist top secret textbooks with top secret information in top secret little classrooms?
Wouldn't these things get out?

you are an idiot

>Response: Total expenditures for public elementary and secondary schools in the United States amounted to $620 billion in 2012–13, or $12,296 per public school student enrolled in the fall (in constant 2014–15 dollars, based on the Consumer Price Index).
retard

He mentioned that it would take "20 hours" to explain how it worked and that "few people would understand it anyways".

Those quotes by Ben Rich are fake, though it is known he personally believed in UFOs.

ITAR

What a retarded question.
Because the military has literally orders of magnitude more money to spend. Even if academia funneled every penny into scientific research, it would still be less than the amount the military spends.

Most of the actual development stuff is done by contractors

A good chunk of the defense research budget does go to universities though

My lab does research on certain materials and we get a grant from some DoD source

it's not and this is a meme

bending to previous "knowledge"
aka scientific kuckholding

what's the source for your image?

First post, best boast.

theoretical science is probably pretty similar, engineering on the other hand is boosted by their massive budget.

This. The military doesn't care about profit in the slightest. They're far more concerned with developing anything that will give an advantage, and have lots of money to throw at these projects. You might think the scope would be limited to things that go boom, or deliver things that go boom, but then you have intelligence, surveillance, and recon swooping in to scoop up the remainder of science and we have shit like the Navy training dolphins and getting some damn good research out of it.

It's too bad they can't use some of that R&D to stop using BMI as a measure for how fat people are, though. I mean, we shoot ballistic missiles into space (among other, much more impressive feats I can't talk about), but we still have the fucking rope and choke to determine that a bodybuilder is "too fat" and needs to do extra PT because there's something like a 10% margin of error on average and that's IF the peeps doing the measurements take them correctly.

Not after John Walker. There's a chance it could, but it's really slim. You think that they allow you to leave these areas without being searched, or enter them with any kind of electronic devices? Everybody in the chain of custody would go to prison for life, were a document to leak, and that's not regular prison either. You likely get a "life sentence" and your life expectancy goes down to however long it takes you to set foot inside. Only extremely high profile people really have a chance of serving their sentence and they're valuable only as long as they can be traded, or give information. The penalty for treason is death by hanging, or a firing squad in a time of war.