Was mass education a mistake?

It's not exactly made people more smarter. In fact standards are much lower than in the past in order to force everyone to go to college. One of my friends who is an electrical engineering major, though smart as he may be at his 150k job, actually believes in the flat earth theory and other conspiracies.

Well I mean...it hasn't really made people dumber has it?

Can't be all that bad. If mass literacy wasn't a thing I'd think people would believe in all kinds of crazy cave man tier superstitions at a much higher rate than they do now. A few chucklefucks discussing the flat earth would be the least of our problems.

pretty sure the economy would go to shit.

I don't follow you.
To me smart and knowledge are not the same.

Imagine the smartest man. Put him in the wild without any prior knowledge. See if he survives.
Most likely not.

There's more I don't follow but I don't wanna bother.

Social networking was a mistake.

It makes morons think they're highly informed, and even privy to "secret knowledge".

I really think so.
Nowadays people know more things than other generations did, but there is also much less curiosity, and I think curiosity is the base of knowledge.
They have less curiosity because "the answers are already there"

>actually believes in the flat earth theory and other conspiracies.
Retards find other retards like OP.

education for women was a mistake

your logic's flawed

Intelligence is something you're born with. That's the definition.

The economy would go to shit, but that wasn't the question. The question is whether education makes people more _intelligent_. It doesn't.

**this**

The smart man is more likely to survive because he will be able to improvise.

The knowledgable man will survive only if he is fortunate to be in a situation in which he can utilize his knowledge. Outside of that he's screwed.

The smarter man is more adaptable.

Bump.

It is a leveler.
Dumbs down the smart kids with convolution and social judgement
And smartens up the dumb kids by forcing them to learn basic grammar, math, and some social ettiquite.

That's irrelevant.

The purpose of education is knowledge. Intelligence is genetic.

A lot of physics is non-intuitive so you need mathematics.
A lot of the fundamentals of our world deal with things you can't naturally perceive without technology.

Even someone in the 98th percentile of intelligence would not be able to build the fundamentals to make him much more statistically likely to survive that a generally educated dumb person.

Education of the masses is necessary and valuable. For one, uneducated peasants are easily controlled by tyrannical states, and for another, you can't tell where the next Newton will be born, if he's born to an uneducated caste of serfs then we all lose out on his possible contributions.

everyone going to college was a mistake.

>It's not exactly made people more smarter. In fact standards are much lower than in the past in order to force everyone to go to college.
It has. 80 years ago literacy was about 60%, and most people in Europe spoke a very localised dialect barely understandable by other nationals.

Now literacy is >99% in most developed countries of the globe, and even in "developing" places like Brazil or Mexico.

Public education systems are made to farm compliant citizens. That's not a conspiracy, it's literally what you get told when you're seeking your doctorate in education; public schooling is primarily a socialization tool; the educational goals are secondary.

But this is false

can't learn science without tests

Intelligence is genetic

you can't make someone more intelligent

>mother has a phd
>believes in 5th dimensional aliens and """"""""""""energy""""""""""" and watches conspiracy youtube videos
Where did it all go so wrong.

PhD in what?

I assume your mother is a woman.

There is the problem.

This. Some people just have the natural ability to sit down, get super focused for 2-3 hours and study, go out on a hot date after that, and when exams come score an A+ easily

You're on a social network site right now fucking moron.

^

a social network site that proves his point, no less