Animal Based Books

Anyone here read books starring animals? I've really gotten into xenofiction lately. I thought Warrior Cats would be an embarrassing guilty pleasure but it's actually pretty well-written, I still prefer Seekers though.

read this.

Read Jack London. Call of the Wild is a good one.

I wasn't really asking for recommendations, more so discussion. I know of quite a few good animal books. It's a shame most are about cats though.

You know of any good insect-based books?

Nope. Mostly only mammals and dinosaurs.

I've enjoyed Watership Down,and the Plague Dogs by Richard Adams,and I was moved to Google another great read called Sandeagozu by Janann V. Jenner,about a Burmese python and her friends escaping from a pet store in search of a mythical haven for animals.

It sucks how hard this book is to get.

Animal books always me sad. There was a comic I read when I was younger about a cat and even though it was light-hearted I cried because it starts with the cat getting lost from his mom.

The metamorphosis

raptor red is good

I swear all xenofiction books about cats glorify strays. I want to see one about a cat who comfortably and happily lives inside.

That's hard to find for a reason, conflict and exploration are interesting, and a lot of people feel trapped in their lives in some way. All stories need conflict, what would be the source? A story about an uninterrupted life of luxury within four walls would likely be boring unless one was hyperbolic to the point of satire. I suppose one could easily turn such a thing into an allegory for western society and it's interference in the middle east. (While you're happy with your catnip and warm bed, your owner works for animal control!)

The only other option that comes to mind that might give you what you want would be the classic, "child runs away from home, sees that the world sucks, comes back crying" story.

This. Also White Fang and Jungle Book.

Is there a chart for this "genre"?

I got u senpai

audiences like strays bitch
the ronin of the cat world

A Rebours pussycat edition basically

Why not just a cute tale about how a cat sees the world? Add some other animal friends, maybe a dog or another cat, for extra interest.

Call of the wild and white fang made me a furry desu

Disney made me a furry. Damn them and their animal characters. Now I love animal characters. I've even become Warriorcats trash, and I don't even like cats!

Anyone read Bambi? I found it amusing. I still prefer the film though.

I'd read it.
Come to think of it, there was a series of books I read when I was young called, "Hank the Cowdog" which is a little bit like this. The stories were humorous with Hank believing he was "Head of Ranch Security". I stand corrected from my earlier post, I've seen it done well when the author was sure not to take themselves seriously.(While the protagonist took themselves very seriously indeed.) Thanks user, I've been reading epic novels for so long that I forgot that daily life can be exciting with the right spin.

This. White Fang is the best.

>always me sad
indeed

lord of the flies

my diary desu

Hank the Cowdog was great. The audiobooks were excellent for long trips as well.

Whats it about

My girlfriend was thinking of reading Warrior Cats. I thought it was a bit silly, but now I'm reconsidering.

No Charlotte's web? For shame! Poor Wilbur. That book made me cry when I was thirteen desu senpai kitanafamalamarama.

Yooo I straight up enjoy the Warrior Cats books. Not even embarrassed. But this is the last place I would have thought there would be mention of them.

What? No Watership Down? Redwall? Wind in the Willows?

loved this serie when I was a kid. Don't know if I would enjoy it as much now though

Flush by Virginia Woolf is told from the perspective of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's dog, Its one of her novels I'm yet to read myself but hopefully it might interest you.

Seeker Bears is so much better than Warrior Cats. I don't get why it has such a small fandom. Don't people like bears?

Poor Wilbur? Charlotte ;_;

I want a book about Scottish Wildcats. That'd be badass.

Anyone read Varjak Paw?

Thought I'd never see Warriors here, my favourite series. Check out Redwall and Varjak Paw, Survivors (another series by Erin Hunter), The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. If you're fond of dragons, Wings of Fire is one I've just began reading that I'm enjoying.

Most who read it know how good Warriors is, on multiple occasions I have found that people will initially scoff at it on hearing the premise and then end up getting hooked on it after Forest of Secrets. I realise it's not a masterpiece of modern literature but I'd be lying if I said It wasn't my favourite set of books I've read. I particularly love the online animation community it sparked, the older crowd at least.

Do you guys have a favourite arc?

I love xenofiction but scoffed at Warriors for years. It seemed like the definition of "furry trash". All those 14 year old fangirls making MAPs on Youtube scared me off for years. I avoided it and read other stuff like Tailchaser's Song.

This

It's about a Japanese cat around the turn of the 19th to 20th century who's Veeky Forums as fuck and judges the westaboo "intelligentsia" around him.

Sold

>tfw you want to write a book about cats
>you've never actually seen a cat irl and can't due to cat allergies

try "traveler" if you liked "watership down"

torvald primble on facebook

The Bees by Laline Paul. Nothing too challenging but it read well and the story was good enough for a book about the life of a bee.

Anything about or by the Turkish

Redwall!