Do any of you anons meditate? Been thinking about taking up the practice to help me achieve greater peace of mind...

Do any of you anons meditate? Been thinking about taking up the practice to help me achieve greater peace of mind. Plus it seems like a pretty Veeky Forums activity, no?

Any tips or relevant literary recommendations would be appreciated!

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn-e2.streamable.com/video/mp4/5gv0.mp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I stopped meditating when I realized I was becoming more and more racist for some reason.

Go for it .. it clears the mind and helps with things like thought process and you will stop the bollocks thoughts in your head

Strange me too

cdn-e2.streamable.com/video/mp4/5gv0.mp4

>clears ones mind
>getting more racist
huh?

I do meditate, but not as often as I should.

Meditation helps you see things are they really are.

all you see is black and you begin to tire of it

>Meditation helps you see things are they really are
Wow, look at this amateur.

I am intolerant of black people

Za Redo Pir

Check out pranayama for breathing techniques and eventually vipassana when you are ready. Go on one of those free 10 dayp Retreats.

I'd recommend Mindfulness in plain English. I personally got into meditation/mindfulness from a secular perspective, so the book does contain some woo woo that might be off putting, but it contains some pretty helpful guidance.
also waking up by sam harris. tho apparently he's got a bad rep on Veeky Forums for whatever reason

>Been thinking about taking up [meditation] to help me achieve

kek

You probably be better off reading desu. At least you'll get something for your time.

Sam Harris is empirical evidence that meditation does not work

Yeah, Sam is pretty dumb.

I've been meditating for about two years, and I would definitely recommend it if you're interested. It's not for everybody, but I've noticed that I'm better able to handle difficult emotions and appreciate day to day experiences more. Also I don't know how to put this without sounding crazy, but observing raw consciousness underneath the flow of thoughts has really changed how I view the world. I hate that I just wrote that...

I learned by listening to this podcast called Zencast; episodes 249 - 254 are an introduction to meditation. The Headspace and Insight Timer apps also provide some good guided meditations.

Books that helped me:
Breath by Breath by Larry Rosenberg
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind
Waking Up by Sam Harris (controversial, but honestly really good meditation instructions)

After getting some instruction on it, my advice would be to find whatever amount of time you actually think you can do every day and do it for two weeks, even if it's only for one minute. The consistency seems to be more important than duration. Like working out, meditation can be pretty unpleasant but gets better and better the more you do it.

Just sat upright on my basement floor breathing deeply for two minutes. Felt pretty good Veeky Forums. Gonna continue with this. Try to get at least two minutes in a day.

Once in the morning and once in the evening can do wonders for you. Just do a few stretches and then sit with your eyes closed for a little while.

I'm basically on the verge of becoming psychic lads

How much meditation does it take to achieve this?

I started meditating a few years ago for the same reason

Now I'm an orthodox theravadin. Just got home from a weekend meditation mretreat.

Do it OP.

Has someone here tried transcendental meditation?
Lynch has said he comes up with some of his ideas while using this technique.

no, but I've tried mantra meditation, which is basically the same thing

The best meditation is an emotive flux, rather than mindfulness. At least for me, nothing clears my mind and soul more or better than tears of despair followed by tears of joy.

>implying I'm capable of either

Try harder.

Take what people say about it with a grain of salt, since there is so much bullshit about stuff like this. Just try it for yourself and see if you benefit from it.

Meditation is just thinking. It's not mystical zen bullshit where you align your chakras or whatever.

try for 20 a day at least.

Most people would disagree and say that meditation is the opposite of thinking. You try to not have thoughts, only sensations.

The closest I get to meditation is taking a shit. I can't focus and the noise of the fan is relaxing.

Once I made a fire and just sat outside smoking my pipe (tobacco) when I was having a spiritual crisis or something. Nothing really came of it but at least it was relaxing.

My dog was laying on me while I read that and I laughed. That woke her up. Fuck you, asshole.

I pray the rosary often and attend Eucharistic adoration.

This is all very lynchian

I think meditation is great but I can't get into new habits very well. I'll do it for 4 or 5 days straight through the week and if I miss a day or two on the weekend I fall off the wagon completely. I doubt I've ever gone more than something like 12 days in a row

20 is probably a bit much for someone with zero experience, unless that is including time before and after for preparing for and coming down from it. 10 is pretty reasonable

Then most people are retards.

No,

wasn't wrong.