Chemistry hate thread

I hate chemistry so fucking much. There no fucking logic on it, you're forced to memorise shit. Now memorise this crap, oh but wait there's a billion of exceptions you need to know. I hate even more than biology. Why the fuck my uni forces me to have chemistry in the first semester of my physics degree.
REEEEE!!!!

ITT: brainlet rage

Makes more sense than physics at the very least.

nice blog post

Colin?

I did watch some quantum chem last semester, they use basically everything I studied in qm, but the math rigour is almost zero which is kinda frustrating... pretty easy course btw

>quantum
>chemistry
Pick one.

>tfw you have an A in AP Chem

they call it physical chem aswell lol

yes, it does require a different kind of intuition than maths/physics

read up on medicine, biology and psychoactive drugs, then work your way to organic chem, then inorganic

that's how you learn to love it

PS no, it doesn't lack logic you fucking kissless virgin that sleeps next to
an abacus

Who the hell is that?

How come?

>yes, it does require a different kind of intuition than maths/physics
So why the fuck do I need to study it since it's not important for physicists?

dunno m8 maybe then think you need to become more free-spirited lmao not my prob

>not my prob
Lucky you m8. I have the feeling my uni is breeding us to work on their shitty labs for the rest of our lifes or work as a professor there.

it kinda is important in the begining bro, even tho you will end up learning a lot later in qm courses with a better math rigour, you will use a lot of this basic chem is some courses like thermo and some introductory modern physics

sounds like a shit professor desu

quantum effects are really important in chemistry, especially in predicting spectra/binding interactions and in explaining a lot of chemical phenomena.

You're not getting anywhere in physics, or any academic field, with that attitude, that's for fucking sure.

Part of becoming a mature scientist, rather than an autistic freshman who thinks he knows everything already, is coming to terms with the fact that you're going to have to memorize seemingly pointless shit.

If you can't even memorize the simple little rules you have to know to pass Chemistry 101, how can you expect to pass any of your physics classes?

>Reeeeeee why are they making me learn things?!?!?!
Honestly buy a rifle, place into the position as per pic related, and pull the trigger now while you still can. You are an eternal brainlet. This is the fate of any pretentious cuntbag who doesn't treat every opportunity to learn something new as a gift.

listen to this guy, excerpt for the last paragrapher

I learned that basic chemistry during high school which fucked up my gpa desu. I don't think they should insist anymore. For example basic biology is kinda of important for every scientist however I don't have a general biology class.

>quantum effects are really important in chemistry, especially in predicting spectra/binding interactions and in explaining a lot of chemical phenomena.
Shouldn't that be left for physicists?

No. Especially the last paragraph.

Clearly I don't know everything that's why I'm studying. Also I have top grades at other subjects I just can't learn chemistry no matter how hard I try. My brain locks down with chemistry.

by that logic shouldn't physics be left for mathematicians?

Theoretical chemists have an important role in modern chemistry and the majority of their work hinges upon quantum mechanical effects.

Pretty much all of chemistry is based on electrons anyway, so QM is central to chemistry if you look at any system deep enough

because chemistry is much more related to physics, that's why you end up having to study it, but subjects, like biology for example, are not important on a undergrad level in physics

The exceptions make sense when you learn the physics behind the chemistry and electrons

I had the same annoyances at all the exceptions in intro chem but now after finally getting my quantum dick wet they make a lot more sense

What's the main goal of modern chemistry? Physicists have their Meme theory of everything, biologists have the cure for cancer and shit, mathematicians the problems of the millennium and prove some other shit. What's chemistry endgame?

With the exception of quantum memechanics it has nothing to do with any other subject of physics I guess.

>I just can't learn chemistry no matter how hard I try. My brain locks down with chemistry.
Then sit your ass down and figure it out, you fucking numale.

You do realize this is why everyone hates millennials, right? Always crying because not everything is easy for them. Always coming up with excuses to avoid being challenged.

You are going to struggle a lot in your life. You better start getting used to it now.

Also, learning isn't going to hurt you. Stop complaining, you little shit. What else do you have to do? Shitpost on Reddit? Work a part-time job as a burger flipper?

I really want brainlets to leave.

>What else do you have to do?
Meming people to the White House my friend.

as I said before, there's more use for it in thermo and other introductory modern physics courses... but yea, you actually learn a lot more in qm

This for example during high school I was thought the the electrons had determined energies in the hydrogen atom, but no one told us why. Now I know how to calculate them. Feels good man

Chemistry is something that happens and can be explained through actual things.
Physics is just humans' interpretation of the world. Humans were/are dense as fuck ergo physics makes no sense.

please, don't say such things

depends on the field. If I had to say what the endgame for each field is, it would be as follows:

Organic: a way to predict, without failure, the products of any reaction, or to predict, a viable synthetic route for any molecule

Inorganic: a way to produce renewable, sustainable energy with cheap transition metal materials using solar energy

Physical and theoretical: a single system that would predict the spectrum for any molecule/a system that accurately simulates quantum mechanical effects in large molecules

I thought there's was nothing more to learn about chemistry. Guess you learn something new everyday.

So did everyone currently at a university you highschool plebian

This should be bannable desu

t. orgo I faggot

The college I plan to go to (Trinity College Dublin) offers a BA in mathematics. Is this any different from a BSc in mathematics or are they exactly the same? Is there any difference other than the name?

I posted in the wrong thread. I guess this shows how retarded I am...

>HI GUYS I TOOK CHEM 101 AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ITS ACTUALLY ABOUT REEEEEE

Oh sorry bro but you're being taught bad chemistry. What I mean is that UNI's have a syllabus which doesn't go into full detail with regards to the reasons why chemistry is the way it is. So what happens is you learn some dumb shit which is actually wrong instead of the true chemistry. I have experienced this and my sincere condolences. It fucking sucks. Especially when I tend to learn by understanding the cause of things and not just knowing which things do what.

>tfw chem makes more sense than physics
not my fault I'm too much of a brainlet to understand rotational motion

>too much of a brainlet to understand rotational motion
Nigga it's literally the exact same thing as normal motion except in a different coordinate system

kill urslef

I should've specified torque and equilibrium of rigid objects, angular motion makes sense.

your quantum dick must be really small.

lmao intro chemistry is like 50 percent physics and 50 percent easy math. suck a dick my nigga

How to be an idiot 101
1. Say you hate biology because its all memorization
2. Say you hate chemistry because its all exceptions
3. Say you hate arts programs because writing papers is so subjective
4. Say you love math and physics because you actually need to be smart to do it

Memorization (for lack of a better term) isn't just regurgitation if you study intuitively. You are going to be stuck in first year everything for the rest of your degree unless you do your intro chem and biology. Go vent to your other stupid physics friends in dorm, and subsequently all flunk out because "the prof never taught us this" or "I studied the wrong stuff" or "this is all useless crap." Everyone has to do it, stop being a fucking faggot.

Oh and if you do advance to sophomore year, have fun in your all guy physics labs. You might like to criticize the life science majors, but the reality is that they have all the qts and you're stuck with the autismos.

Is physics just physical chemistry?

what the fuck are you talking about baka

Actually I like the physics labs, and there are two 8/10 in my class.

What in physics doesn't involve some form of chemistry or vice verca? If your course is halfway decent and you have a grounding from high school, physics principles will let you understand chemistry, and chemistry will let you understand biology, assuming you're willing to think about why and how things interact.

"Oh, these chemical exceptions make sense because of this, this and this (atomic composition, atomic structure, thermodynamic stability, ext.) and that's why this biological systems behaves this way"

And there is no such thing as a physics degree that doesnt involve or cover in part the real world applications in bio and chem. Otherwise its a mathematics degree. Go do one of those if you dont like the applicable context

Foundations for material science :cry:

Room tempreture super conductors

Sounds like a mental block. Better make a tulpa and have it help you with your homework.

this
The theoretical foundations for everything you do in chemistry are all rooted in physics. Chem is just applications thereof. You just have to memorize shit and accept things "on faith" even when they seem theoretically "messy".

Exactly. I like to know how things work and I want proofs not just because the teacher said so. For example in math or physics if I forget something I just need to think for a bit and I can deduce the formula I need. With chemistry, at least the way they thought me, if I forget something I am fucked because there's no way to find out the right answer. At least I can pull of a 10/20 mark.

>it doesn't lack logic
In his defence it lacks /human/ logic. Math and physics are something that's a lot easier to accept and understand the explanation of than chemistry, which relies on praying really hard that things happen in the right way.

This may be insomnia talking, but: would it help to take a more "meta" view of the class where you get good at the process of dealing with the material rather than the material itself?

That doesn't make sense, so here's an example: chem involves a lot of lab techniques -- how to read milliliter-specific beakers or hook up calimeters or whatever. Connecting these tasks to the physical theories underlying the processes they're designed around can be confusing as fuck. But if you just view learning them as completing the "able to do chem lab work" checklist, actually learning each task is no harder than learning to check your oil or fry an egg (actually quite a bit simpler, for many of them).

So focus on learning the steps of taking chem, not as rote memorization, but more like the collection of minor skills required to get something done -- like, you don't care about any of the theory behind why your car is set up the way it is when you're just trying to get to the store, right? But you can still drive there. (Or not, I don't know you. But if you're a physics major, you're probably confident that you at least COULD learn to drive.)

Machines that can synthesize anything.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try.

>hi, im undergraduate physics kid! the electrons go around the atom like a tiny solar system wow!

Martin?

>no matter how hard I try
you might be stupid, user, sorry

it's ok, you are doing mathematics after all

I have yet to come across anything in chemistry that I can't explain/rationalize/deduce and I'm a senior

What exactly are you having trouble conceptualizing

What is the best job that a degree in chemistry is useful for?

>forced to memorise shit

If anyone is telling you you need to memorize anything in Chemistry, they're fucking idiots.

Learn to read and follow the trends on the periodic table-- there's no reason to memorize anything at all. Trends dictate how the elements will behave when in certain environments or when brought into interaction with other elements.

Trends are what makes chemistry make complete logical sense.

if you're making this assumption based off of your experience in a gen chem class, then you can get fucked m8

lol biology is 100% memorization of boring shit no one cares about, at least in chemistry u get to do some math. Biology is definitely a thousand times more cancerous than chemistry

Chemistry and it's special cases aren't properly explicated at the entry level. I believe this is where the chemistry sucks meme comes from.

>computational chemistry
>pick both

Why on earth would you waste time on the special gases in a general survey course when it would impair your understanding of >95% of all chemical phenomena? That's like saying an undergraduate chemistry course spends too much time discussing the underlying mechanisms of Sn1/Sn2 chemistry rather than getting into the gory mechanistic intricacies of the first generation Grubbs' catalyst.

That's the point of his post you retard

chemistry was fun. It starts really making sense once you do O-Chem. You'll see it's all magnetic legos with simple maths. I hated general chemistry cause for some reason they start off with orbitals and other weird theoretical shit rather than starting with the physics and basics of valence electrons

If you pay attention and don't dick around the whole class chemistry is actually a pretty good subject

>> There no fucking logic on it, you're forced to memorise shit.

Lolololol that's everything OP.

>post complains that special cases aren't properly treated
>response notes that 95% of all reactivity is not in special cases
>somehow missed the point

Then ask the teachers for help.

Or ask anyone for help then complaining on a message board.

Physics makes a fuck ton of sense what're you talking about? Everything is our interpretation.

It's literally shit going in circles but in a different way.

How is it hard to understand?

Changed my mind lol. Starting my bsc in ohysics next year and all i do is cry about how i have to knuckle down to revise chem and not logic my way like in phys. Guess being a scientist is about knowing the rules and i dont

How to best learn chemistry? What are your best studying tips?

I'm pretty sure that's not true. If it was no research would ever occur in the field

Nah chemistry is a garbage science we know very little about it (reduction fails very often in chemistry).

Yeah, maybe classical mechanics. But stuff like modern cosmology, quantum theory, etc? Look me in the eyes and tell me it "makes sense"

There's no logic to it just as long as you don't put in the effort to understand. If you want proof, read Pauling's General Chemistry, a random chapter, and you'll find that it all makes very solid sense.

t. Materials engineering student

It's not like chem is some handwavy science where things work but we don't know why. Research in chemistry isn't mixing random shit together and seeing what comes out.

In my own research I know what's going on/why things are happening, it's coordinated and strategic. The only thing that's hard to rationalize are the failures (when a reaction doesn't work or when something doesn't behave as you'd expect) but even then you can usually come up with something that sounds plausible

Industrial Eng. here. Just failed my Industrial Processes class (aka Industrial Chem - Thermo bullshit)

In Peru the exam score is from 0 to 20, needed a 9 in the final and got 5.

Fuck that shit. Industrial thermo and the four thermo cycles are goddamn hard. 1 and a half hour to solve four calculus geavy questions is not enough.