Germany's Wildly Complex Fusion Reactor Is Actually Working

What can an average joe like me do to help make this happen? Free blowjobs? I'll do anything. (But seriously, what could the average brainlet do, if anything?)

popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a24172/fusion-reactor-working/
>The Wendelstein 7-X reactor, which uses a complex design called a stellerator, is performing just like it was predicted to.

interestingengineering.com/germanys-new-machine-brings-us-leaps-closer-nuclear-fusion/http://interestingengineering.com/germanys-new-machine-brings-us-leaps-closer-nuclear-fusion/
>Germany’s New Machine Brings Us Leaps Closer to Nuclear Fusion

ibtimes.com/nuclear-fusion-germanys-wendelstein-7-x-stellarator-operating-expected-2456267

>Currently, the approach toward testing the viability of nuclear fusion involves using either a tokamak or a stellarator. A tokamak — one of which is currently being tested by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Plasma Science and Fusion Center — is a doughnut-shaped device that can contain high-energy plasma using two-dimensional magnetic fields created by a ring of magnets. On the other hand, the stellarator — whose design is still largely untested — performs the same function using twisted, 3D magnetic fields.

>The world’s largest stellarator is currently being operated by the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics in Germany, and researchers have now revealed that the extraordinarily complex device is functioning as expected.

nature.com/articles/ncomms13493
>Confirmation of the topology of the Wendelstein 7-X magnetic field to better than 1:100,000

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KkpqA8yG9T4
youtube.com/watch?v=lyqt6u5_sHA&list=LLcZ00IuXl8tAtWs1U96Uqcg&index=44
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

holy shit I thought OPs pic was just some art work.

it is

Yeah, the first time I saw this a while ago I thought it was either fake or some sort of meme.
>lol I know plasma physics is insanely complicated but this is ridiculous

>>lol I know plasma physics is insanely complicated but this is ridiculous

They are talking about measurements in field line geometry, and testing the precision of the magnetic topology, it's margin of error and so forth.

Looks like (from OPs articles) that the magnetic field shape is well within tolerances, and the only errors in it's geometry are caused by some VERY small tolerance issues in the physical placement of the superconductive winding's.

For the sake of refrance, there are basically three different fusion reactor styles being tested currently:

ITER's Tokamok style tourus, Max plank's Stelorator (OP's pic), and the National ignition facility laser inertial confinement design.

So, we should probably be getting some really good data from this reactor design that will help us in better understanding fusion temperature plasma interactions, for the eventual purpose of constructing a fully functional fusion power generator.

Will just leave this here.

>>posting an entire tag

youtube.com/watch?v=KkpqA8yG9T4

Kraut Space magic is real

>Wendel(((stein)))

Every. Single. Time.

Don't worry goyim, you can trust (((us))) with free energy.

youtube.com/watch?v=lyqt6u5_sHA&list=LLcZ00IuXl8tAtWs1U96Uqcg&index=44

Okay, why should I care?

>fusion reactor
It's not a reactor.

It is a vessel in which fusion reactions take place, just like a chemical reactor. It's not a power reactor, sure, but a reactor is just "a thing you use to make stuff react."

that's a great video

>that 4 minute brown nosing introduction of the professor in the beginning

Was it his birthday or something?

mindblowing

Maybe in Germany, people don't treat their collaborators like Machiavellian pricks.

Go to school, get a degree in plasma physics, learn German, profit(?)
Or just fund fusion research if you're a millionaire.

I dont know why did you click on this post?

This video is great. Thanks user

Is it OK to fap to this?

It's a reactor. Read the articles at least.

Why wasn't I born a plasma physicist? It hurts to live.

You can still become one, this technology will be ready in ~50 years

Someone else told me I would have to go to school for another 28 years to be able to do that. I would gladly do it, but I don't have enough years left in my life, as I am forced to be a slave for the remainder of my time on this planet.

>It's not a reactor.

It is.

Prof Whyte starts talking at about 4:25. The intro does go on rather long.

Aren't all these devices useless since they'll just get destroyed by neutrons after a very short period of operation?

Nothing actually touches the device itself because of the magnetic fields.

The neutrons aren't deflected by the magnetic field.
However, there's almost definitely shielding and/or hardening from the secondary radiation. This isn't a new problem.

>Nothing actually touches the device itself because of the magnetic fields.
>magnetic fields
Wow it's like you don't know what fucking neutrons are. Where the fuck am I again? Did I stumble into I Fucking Love Science's facebook page?

Hey Rutherford, you do know that neutrons have a magnetic moment, right?

Somehow, I think these people expect these machines to be functional in the long-term as well as economically viable, or else they wouldn't be developing them.

>using two-dimensional magnetic fields created by a ring of magnets. On the other hand, the stellarator — whose design is still largely untested — performs the same function using twisted, 3D magnetic fields.
Are magnetic fields usually 2D?

This reactor reached 1 million degrees Celsius?
That's about 1/15th of the temperature at the core of the Sun.

How doesn't it melt everything around?
What material can resist such temperatures?

Diamond, the hardest metal known to mankind.

diamond isn't a metal it's a carbon

Stop.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond

it's a carbon

0/10

The plasma Field strangely resembles Viktor Schauberger's early work with fluid dynamics.

>>>/reddit/

So now were just shitposting?

Please try not to fuck up one of the few actual science threads here.

>what could the average brainlet do,

Become a shitty popstar and donate your billions to research

Do you think research places need secretaries?