If Heisenberg's uncertainty principal is real, then we can't know both the speed and the position of an object...

If Heisenberg's uncertainty principal is real, then we can't know both the speed and the position of an object. But doesn't Godel's Incompleteness theorem imply that we can't know either anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

physics.stackexchange.com/questions/34947/does-the-uncertainty-principle-apply-to-photons
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck off with this maymayyyyyy

No it does not. The uncertainty principle applies to any properties of waveforms, you need to consider a wider window of it to learn more precise information, there's a limit to the simultaneous precision of the information and precision of the window you're measuring.

It has nothing to do with axiomatic completeness.

Heisenberg's bullshit principle is bullshit.

We know exactly the speed of light and we know where light is.

When you have a lightbulb and locate a light particle you also know its speed, C.

>Heisenberg's uncertainty principal
Who was that?

>momentum and position of an object
fixed it for you

But then we have an uncertainty in the momentum. momentum in photons is governed by the frequency(energy) and speed which a constant. the uncertainty ultimately is the uncertainty in the energy. also isnt it something that the photon can exist everywhere in space between the emission and detection so we dont know its position

Wtf I never actually thought about that! Can someone explain this to me, I'm afraid to ask that to my professor she may think I'm dumb.

When I look at a lightbulb I know there are photons coming right out of it. I also know their speed.

I know position and momentum so your principle just got btfo

You don't know exactly where the photons are coming out, you're just fucking delusional.

No you don't know the momentum, you may know the speed, however I don't have a full answer to this due to my ignorance. All I know is that you're wrong for reasons discussed above, bye.

noooooooope
you see a bright light being detected in a certain position in your eye. you have no idea where the photons went to get to that position in your eye. You dont know the exact energy of the photons to get momentum.
momentum =! speed
Heisenberg uncertainty doesn't tell you much but it cant violated without breaking physics

t. republicans

Nice. Thanks.

HE IS WRONG.

Look, momentum = mass * velocity

You know that mass = 0 and velocity = c for photons so their momentum is always 0

Now just locate a photon, like look at a lightbulb and you KNOW its momentum is 0. This is HS physics

A mentally challenged 8yo kid wouldn't fall for this bait

A mentally challenged 5yo kid wouldn't fall for your bait

no momentum for massless particles =E/c. this comes from special relativity not high school physics

Nice pop relativity, vsauce.

i'll bite

first of all, as others have pointed out, speed is not momentum

second of all, the uncertainty principle does not have to do with any "fuzziness" of the measurement; the "uncertainty" refers to the variance of successive measurements of the same quantity

More technically, the uncertainty principle applies to the variances of the position and momentum measurements of a state psi, given by

[math] -^2[/math]

and similarly for the position operator

If we try to compute the wavefunction of a photon, de Broglie's principle implies that the momentum must be h/c (h is really h-bar), which means the wavefunction must be an eigenvector of the momentum operator [math] \hat{p}=-id/dx[/math] with eigenvalue h/c. Thus the only possible choice is

[math] \psi(x)=e^{i(h/c)x} [/math]

but this is not a square-integrable function, which means it does not lie in the Hilbert space of admissible states. Therefore, the uncertainty principle (and indeed, the formalism of quantum mechanics) does not apply.

More conceptually, quantum mechanics as commonly understood applies only to non-relativistic particles (basically because it requires fixing an absolute time scale). if you want to include photons in a satisfactory way, you have to move to quantum field theory, and QED in particular.

physics.stackexchange.com/questions/34947/does-the-uncertainty-principle-apply-to-photons

>weighted dips

it's been a long time since I last saw these menems
I should lift again

Heisenberg is somewhere in this photo. I don't know where he his but I do know that he's standing still.

>these are the people posting on Veeky Forums
Back to physics forums with me

behind bill Murray

w... what's wrong with weighted dips?

Schrodiner is two above Einstein, with the red tie

I think

Added weight causes more stress on the joints and leads to injury.

ok? is it particularly bad for dips as opposed to pull ups or push ups or something?

Can you upload pic without the text?

Thanks

does the impossibility of having 0 energy give rise to the uncertainty principle, or does the uncertainty principle prevent 0 energy?

eg if energy is zero, the particle is at rest, so we know both its momentum and position.

We can defo add more to this pic I feel

You're god damn right

But do you know the Lord?

So you should use rubber bands to hold up all of your body weight so that you dont stress your joints at all, right?

The HUP is better understood as us not having the ability to achieve the right precision.

We have a ruler with divisions that are too large.