You rather be Dante or Michelangelo

You rather be Dante or Michelangelo

>a guy who black people name their kids after
or
>a guy no one names their kids after because it's too fancy

I pick the 2nd

D

Fucking awesome post

Dante, I don't want to play hide the pope.

Say Dante or Botticelli, so that people have to at least hesitate before answering.

sick burn

doesn't matter how you feel about the quality of the work Michelangelo had a better career than botticelli.

That's the point

>would you rather write the greatest piece of literature in history or be a flaming faggot

David is the perfect work of art, so Dante probably (me fucking up the David would cause an anhero)

There is no comparison.

Michelangelo is one of the greatest geniuses of all time: he was the greatest sculptor and the greatest painter, and even his poetry is of a good level. He is also certainly one of the greatest draftsmen of all time, even though he confined himself mostly to the topic of the male nude.

Dante, for all his brilliance, is the author of one masterpiece. His other works are really not that impressive. Also, the Comedy doesn’t offer characters that are really interesting or memorable (I know, much of this is because Dante can’t afford to spend a lot of time in any character, but only show glimpses of them), there are several references that are lost without footnotes (about many characters in the worlds). And to me the comedy lacks that much of metaphorical exuberance (such as we find in Shakespeare): Dante is mostly narrating things just as he sees them, and I would say that the most astonishing things in the comedy are the supreme use of rhyme and the whole organization of the structure, from the teza rima to the divisions and subdivisions of the worlds to the number of cantos and the ending of them with the same word “stars”: it is really a great work of care and patience.

But Michelangelo was able to go from one gigantic work to another gigantic work. It is breathtaking the great capacity for hard work that he had, his stamina, his enormous ambition and his courage (you need guts to accept and carry to the end the kind of projects that Michelangelo accepted). There is even great things in the personal life of Michelangelo, when one sees him going to the mountains to carve blocks of marble together with his team of workers and masons, spending several weeks under the sun, having to give orders and direct the work of dozens of men.

I would like to remake your question: who do you rather be, Michelangelo or Shakespeare.

>the greatest sculptor
Probably

>the greatest painter
Not a chance

>he was the greatest sculptor
can't believe people actually believe this

Not doubting your judgment (in the end is all subjective; I would love to have a theory of aesthetics that could work like math, but it seems foolish to ask for it), but actually interested: what painters do you think are the best ones?

I fully doubt your judgement (and won't be a brown nosing faggot like poster above)

>Dante can’t afford to spend a lot of time in any character
?

the sad part is this isn't even bait. you legitimately believe this and think you have good taste.

i pity you.

He mostly use 3 characters: himself, Virgil and Beatrice. None of them looks like a real person: Dante is mostly used to be the point of view of the comedy, asking questions, expressing the feeling that such and such place have in a mortal, and inquiring the souls of the dead. Virgil mostly explains things to him, and the same with Beatrice: they serve as museum-guides to Dante.

As for the other characters, Dante mostly show them in half a canto, or in a whole canto, what is not a great amount of space to actually flesh out a complete personality.

In the end you don’t have a single memorable character in the comedy. You might remember the violence of that guy, the suffering of this one, the penalty of such and such characters, but it this this rather external things that impact the reader, not the personality of the characters.

Bernini is objectively the best sculptor

What does it matter?

I'm dead either way.

>would you rather be so cucked you wrote a literary masterpiece about how you weren't actually cucked, or so much of a fucking faggot you paint and sculpt multiple artistic masterpieces of utter faggotry

He is one of the few artists whose work makes me lose my breath in admiration: I don’t really know how to achieve that, even with a lot of effort. I can understand how one can paint like Leonardo, or Goya, or Rembrandt: there are students who were quite able to mimic their styles, and forgeries are known to exist.

But Michelangelo: the very physical strength and will to achieve what he has achieved is enormous. You don’t see other artists trying the same, even coming near the same.

As for his paintings outside frescoes: I like the Tondo Doni more that Raphael paintings, for example: it loos more realistic, more fleshy to me.

His drawings are, in my opinion, better than the ones of Leonardo. The only problem is that he was always using the same subject matter, while Leonardo was interested in a whole set of things. I enjoy the drawings of Bronzino too: what a great draftsmen (deserved to be more famous)

>teza rima

>what painters do you think are the best ones?
Rembrandt, Caravaggio, Repin

>Repin

Don't know enough to argue the rest, but Leonardo's drawings are best all-time

What the fuck is wrong with Repin you shithead.

I do know a black Dante.

He also graduated with honors, payed his own way through school by working twelve hour shifts on the weekends, is (obviously) incredibly hard-working, and is now SWAT.

Somehow, none of that sounds like an insult.

yo dawg I think he mean REPIN THE EASY SIEEEEEDE BOIIIIII

>graduates with honors
>works long and hard hours to pay for school
>ends up joining the police

makes sense

He always wanted to be an officer - specifically SWAT.

I personally don't get it, but it doesn't diminish his integrity.

probably just wants to shoot poor innocent white people

I want Dante to fuck my wife.

Who wore it better? Also Dante is shit Petrarch bros where we at?

>the author of one masterpiece. His other works are really not that impressive.

Actually he was just about the most innovative lyric poet in the history of the Italian language up to that point as well as an important political thinker.

>the Comedy doesn’t offer characters that are really interesting or memorable

Uh what? Ulysses isn't interesting? Paolo and Francesca aren't memorable? Count Ugolino? And that's just Inferno. Dante himself is one of the most astonishing characters in literature, and an entirely unprecedented one.

>And to me the comedy lacks that much of metaphorical exuberance (such as we find in Shakespeare)

You just described what makes Dante technically such an incredible artist. He is perfectly understated, never gives himself away, never overadorns or exaggerates or slips into the vulgar. Dante never assumes that the reader is stupider than he is.

>Dante is mostly narrating things just as he sees them

But Dante didn't see any of it. He invented everything in the Comedy. Dante, in peopling an entire afterlife, is the most imaginative writer ever to have lived.

Michelangelo dwarfs Dante, and every author.
Literature has nothing to say in front of the Pieta or David.

>he also fucks my wife on a regular basis while I watch

I hope you mean Pietà Rondanini, pleb

how is michelangelo not a one-trip pony as much as dante? he pretty much can only sculpt/draw a muscular nude male. look at the breasts of Night from the sarcophagus of Giuliano de' Medici; or the Cumaean and Persian Sybils from the Sistine Chapel.

im not saying he wasnt a genius - and not using female models nor having (probably) ever slept with a woman surely didnt help. i love michelango but ive never heard anyone - including the staunchest michelango fan - claim he is the "greatest painter".

also
>there are several references that are lost without footnotes
is because your are living in the 21st century
d