Tried to talk to a recruiter for dev position. Flat out rejected me as a pure math major

I went to a career fair today to talk to a start up company that has been successful. They acquired a new building downtown and have funds to hire a lot of devs.

First recruiter I spoke to said they don't require you to know X language coming in, but focus on data structures & algorithms. I thought cool, I have a chance of being hired. He introduced me to another guy.

I told him I was interested in a junior dev position and told him about a ML project I worked on. He flat out told me I would not be a good fit for his team, that he would not hire me. He said he needed 2-3 years of experience with an arrogant smug on his face. For some reason he got super defensive and started semi-yelling at me.

I asked him what he recommended so I could get experience and yelled "I DONT KEEP UP WITH OTHER COMPANIES, I ONLY FOCUS ON WHAT MY TEAM IS DOING. I WOULDN'T HIRE YOU. YOU ARE NOT A GOOD FIT. YOU NEED 2-3 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE."

He started to walk off and would't even let me get a word in. I told first recruiter I thought they hired based on aptitude and not X skill sets and he was baffled by what happened.

Fuck this. Why can't I get a dev job as math major when I have programming experience? I literally am crushing my CS courses too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>He said he needed 2-3 years of experience with an arrogant smug on his face
>I DONT KEEP UP WITH OTHER COMPANIES, I ONLY FOCUS ON WHAT MY TEAM IS DOING. I WOULDN'T HIRE YOU. YOU ARE NOT A GOOD FIT. YOU NEED 2-3 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
>He started to walk off and would't even let me get a word in.

Translation: "I only hire H1B pajeets. I'm only here so I can trick the government to gibbing moar visas"

youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Sounds like you dodged a bullet tbqh. That's fucking weird behaviour for a career fair

Thanks. I think he had in mind who he wanted to hire and when he heard I was looking for "junior" positions he nope'd out. But he did it in a very rude way and definite way.

Are you withe male? If so, he did check your privileges .
Come back when you stope opressing capable diverse people, shilord.

>math major
>rejected for a job

get used to it kiddo

>that video
wow, god damn that's fucked

1. Keep applying and networking. Software development seems to be the field with the largest proportion of douchebags, assholes, lazy fucks, and incompetent people out of any technical discipline. You'll come across a lot of people like that. Ignore them.

2. Spam people on HN. Especially the HackerNews job threads. People on HN have a HUGE ego problem. You can use this to your advantage. They want to help others with jobs and shit and then brag about it, etc.

Keep fighting bud

Thanks brother, this gives me major encouragement!

depressing

He probably just thought you were an autist and didn't want to work with you. Hiring isn't school, and peoples opinions matter.

I thought you math majors could get any job you want :^)

>CS student
>not even lookign active for jobs
>have constantly fofered me jobs in IT sector
>working part-time as programmer beside studying and completing my degree
>company wants me fulltime for an unlimited period
>still getting offers thrown at me

Living in EU is a true blessing m8.

Fuck career fairs. The recruiters don't give a flying fuck at all about hiring good people, they're only there because their bosses made them go.

They aren't listening to your shitty elevator speech, they're just thinking about how hungry or tired they are and how bad they want to go home.

At the end of it all their selections are either completely random, or, much more likely, they end up telling you to apply online.

Just apply online in the first place and skip all the bullshit. Reach out to recruiters or employees at the companies you're interested on LinkedIn or something if you're worried about not "standing out" or some bullshit.

It sure as hell beats getting dressed up to stand in line with a bunch of awkward nerds to beg someone who isn't even listening to you for a job.

I've never gone to a career fair and now I hope I never have to.

this

seriously don't even get mad about that OP, recruiters don't go to career fairs to help anyone get a job or talk to anyone, their purpose there is to mine data on the local population and to funnel people into their actual hiring pipeline, once you understand this you realize why 99% of recruiters are chumps and why it's never worth your time to talk to them

Good input. Thanks user

the only way to get a job if you don't have REALLY good qualifications that the only application programs will pick up on is to have a connection to someone in the company. LinkedIn makes this a breeze.

If you have a PhD, then its 300k starting

>ML project
Your shitty 50 lines of python using a kaggle dataset and scikit learn using a tutorial are probably what put the guy off.. for undergrad ML dev roles you're just going to be making ETLs and do SQL work, which might be 'relevant' skills for development roles

That's when you bring them food like donuts and shit and make yourself stand out, then you might actually be considered for doing some minor shit

500k if you're not a brainlet
god feels good to be at the top

The this is, they don't have any real hiring power, so their "consideration" doesn't mean shit. They're just going to tell you to apply online.

This.

>went to career fair in my uni's engineering department
>lots of tech companies (semiconductors, materials, aerospace, you name it)
>approach stand of NXP and ask about job opportunities
>"Oh, we're only seeking to hire marketing and business people."
>most others gave you a cookie cutter speech about their company, followed by handing you a pamphlet and telling you to apply there

Fucking waste of time. Don't bother.

>Major in pure meme field with little practical skills aside from being a walking calculator
>"Wow why can't I get a job without much job experience in a field?"

>Advertise an entry level job
>Demand experience

Jesus christ..

My first and only career fair:
>attend university STEM fair
>give resume to recruiters at large national engineering company
>get called for an on campus interview the next day
>at the end of the interview they tell me to apply online and good luck with the application process
>"what was the point of this interview if I just have to apply online?"
>"you have to apply online. that's just the way it is"

The career fair was pointless, the interview was pointless. I still have no idea why they even bothered interviewing me.

I don't know what you're all on about. I got my first research job from a job fair. Although I did have an above average level of experience from spending my last summer in high school learning microbio techniques at Rutgers.

>wagecuckoldry
not even once

It's good to know what's out there in your area.
There's thousands of firms in every city no one knows exists.

maybe if you live in fucking LA or NYC but that isn't the reality for most people. There are like 5 engineering firms where I live and absolutely 0 places hiring physicists.

You'd look like an actual autist walking with your donuts.

Works if you know an insider. Otherwise, tough luck.

>not always carrying a box of timbits for picking up chicks during career fairs
have fun with your $300/yr starting

dropping in to say experience is a meme. nobody gives a fuck about it really. its all about GPA.

I have years of experience, dozens of third party certifications, and glowing letters of recommendation from former bosses. none of that matters because my GPA is sub 3.5.

probably just going to go back to my old job except 20k$ in debt and 4 years behind in my career.

>get used to it kiddo

sadly this is probably the correct answer. Shitty as that is (it's super shitty) that's what happens when you get a degree that isn't in some kind of applied science field.

You could crush a civil engineering degree in no time flat and on top of a math major you would be able to get a job super easy strait out of college. Double major for the win?

>Lebowitze
>Cohen

wewest of lads

If you aren't a fuckboy just look for sponsored code competitions of hackathons. Those are basically competitive interviews and if you win or just standout on your team you will most likely get a job offer.

A dead give-away are ones that require you submit a resume for entry.

is this a shitpost?

is this why places like linkedin constantly tell me there are millions of jobs available in my area?

i wish it was.

>Math degree
>pretty bright, know a couple of languages, have a few projects on github
>search for junior jobs
>MUST HAVE 4+ YEARS EXPERIENCE IN THESE 9 LANGUAGES, 4 FRAMEWORKS, AND 6 LIBRARIES
kill me

>walking calculator
>implying I'm even fast at arithmetic