Is depression a meme?

Some older people used to say that things like depression are modern inventions.

For them, people are depressed because they are lazy, and if it's not the case, they are just stupid.

So the cure for depression is to do something, work. And for the second case, just stop being stupid.

Also, there are a lot of people, including academics, students and people on this board that claims that Psychology itself is just a pseudoscience for Psychiatry like Astrology is for Astronomy.

What Veeky Forums thinks about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/subjects/depression
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Some older people used to say that things like depression are modern inventions.

Baby boomers can all suck my balls, never listen to those sentient memes.

OP here.
I don't know if I was clear, but this is a serious board, I know that probably it can be viewed by some people like a bait because of the title but no. I could pick some better title anyway...

I would like if you elaborate.

I'm asking these things because I have some bad thoughts you know what I mean and I'm apathetic as fuck but don't talk about it with my family because of commentaries I heard about this issue so I'm always pretenting to be smiling and happy...

yes, lets have another baby boomer thread, assholes.

Seek professional help, depression is not a meme it has physical roots in your brain. I used to feel like shit and want to die all day, tried and failed to kill myself 4 times, that's when I went to a psychiatrist and surprisingly after a few month taking some meds, I feel okay now, no more suicidal thoughts or planning. You can argue that this is anecdotal evidence, however my psychiatrist told me that there's a lot of tabu about taking meds for the brain and he actually explained why depression happens, I don't remember it very well but it has something to do with high dopamine and low serotonin I guess. Anyway OP, stop being a faggot and seek help, cheers.

wait, what is your actual question?

he wants to know if depressions is a meme or actually a real disease, science-based and not some rationalization created by psychologists to make money.

>Some older people used to say that
>things like depression are modern inventions
[citation needed]

>Some older people used to say that things like depression are modern inventions.
This is coming from a generation that has had everything handed to them for free and has never faced hardship in their entire lives.

thats the exact kind of attitude OP is talking about from Boomers. Boomers are actually the ones who have been living on a cloud of freedom and economic properity on the heels of world war 2, then fucking it up and scapegoating.

I'm not a baby boomer, but Depression IS a meme and an excuse for big pharma to make billions from their placebo pills.

If you are engaged in a productive activity at work or a hobby, you wouldn't be depressed at all.

If not then there is something seriously wrong with you and you probably need an MRI scan not more of those placebo pills.

Most of the time depression is just used as a badge of honour for attention whores these days.

>le golden age fallacy

Yeah because Boomers had groceries delivered to them on speed dial, had 1000s of books to read for free online, had high speed internet and Veeky Forums to shitpost how life was so great in the 1800s

you're naive if you think a laptop ammounts to how easy or how good your life is.
so what are you objecting to? pills?
people still have problems that need fixing and that is often psychological fixing. medicalization may be a big distorting bumper on it sometimes but yeah doesn't mean people still shouldn't be helped or there are extremely affected people out there to the point of needing to be in a hospital.

Weird as it sounds, i also think that we do have to accept that there are differences in the population which means it is easier for some psychologically for things like working, school etc etc etc.

"Old people" are fucking retards who have been instilled with decades of corporate propaganda. People work harder than ever. It's literally capitalist propaganda that tells us we're all fucking lazy and should work harder, your depression is "nothing".

Niggers need to read some Nietzsche though.

>baiting this low
I'll take the bait, educate yourself moron. Depression is a real disease with real physical effects on the body. Just because your autism forces you into "le edgy Mr know everything by personal experience and judgement" it doesn't mean depression isn't a real medical condition.

nature.com/subjects/depression

>If you are engaged in a productive activity at work or a hobby, you wouldn't be depressed at all.
That's completely ass-backwards. If you're depressed, you're not able to engage in productive work or hobbies.

>If not then there is something seriously wrong with you and you probably need an MRI scan not more of those placebo pills.
Why would a MRI help, but not medication?

>Most of the time depression is just used as a badge of honour for attention whores these days.
People with depression are the exact opposite of "attention whores".

Try reading.

No, yiu've got it ass-backwards. You can definitely pull yourself out of depression. It's that society is literally structured around one thing and one thing only: the capitalist mode of production. So our only "means" to solving problems are capitalist ones.

But if you think depression is just some completely random affliction with no relation to your day to day actions, like you get it just like cancer, then you're just straight wrong.

but the question is how do you do it. do you just say that to them, blame them for having depression. Random affliction no, but if you think that it is completely independent of factors people can control then you are wrong too. And some depressions are alot more severe than others.

It is entirely possible to make money from real problems and not only fake ones.

Sometimes it's even more convenient. For example if the "problem" is designed by someone from the start.

All businesses do this to some extent: that's basically what all of advertising is about. Fucking with peoples heads so they buy stuff. In a world where more and more of the work is being done by machines we need to invent more and more commodities to be bought and sold for people to be in employment. So we need to manufacture and reinforce behaviours to buy stuff we didn't even know we needed.

Really no wonder an increasing amount of people go nuts under such circumstances.

Those older people then end up in nursing homes with nothing to do, and no family to visit them. I wonder if you asked them if they thought depression exists at that age, they'd change their mind.

>t. i don't even know what the fuck is neuroscience

>If you are engaged in a productive activity at work or a hobby, you wouldn't be depressed at all.
>If not then there is something seriously wrong with you

Jesus dude, listen to yourself. No shit there'd be something seriously wrong with you in that case, and that something is called "depression".

>random MRI scans with no context

Have medical science defined certain brains as depressed and non-depressed?

I am not asking "have doctors diagnosed patients with depression solely based on fmri"

but rather if theyve found any comonalities between the brains of people who get diagnosed with depression (by a psychiatrist)?

I believe there's some slight difference like certain areas being smaller then a healthy person and the brain usually has less activity.

I don't know if this is depression but people have said I may have it.

I experience 3 components.

Fatigue: I am almost always tired. Everything seems to be more difficult and exhausting than it is. Even mundane tasks like cooking seem like a lot.

Lack of joy/enthusiasm: I never really feel happy. I can't remember the last time I laughed. I don't get excited.

Negativity: I have a negative image of the self and world which seems rational to me. Because of that I am always in a bad mood and improving myself is hard because every mistake I make confirms this bad self image and I feel like I am just not as good as other people.

I know that because of all that I am not a fun person to be around so I don't socialize and isolate myself instead which I guess just makes everything worse.

---

I just don't see what I can do about all these things by myself. I could try pushing through the fatigue, adopt a positive mindset even though I don't believe in it and develop habits instead of relying on motivation but all these things take energy which I don't have an unlimited supply of.

Go see a psychiatrist bruh, meds are really helpful with depression

yes they found many i think. however i suspect they can be similar across different disorders maybe? not sure.

Psychology, is not really a "pseudoscience". It's just a field of study on metrics that cannot be quantified with uniformity. We're dealing with memories, thoughts, emotions, behavior patterns of single individuals at times.

Sociology is definitely a cancerous and defunct field of study like phrenology or eugenics on the other hand.
I really think it's just a matter of time before it starts getting thrown out thanks to the people who are it's greatest proponents. Sociology has metrics and statistics that can be duplicated...then they just use them for whatever point they're trying to make / whatever moral grand-standing they're doing.

Yeah except 99.9999% of the time the person either had a fucked up life or made some very bad mistakes so the whole "muh chemical imvalance" thing is mostly the person living in denial of things happening in their life. People who don't make mistakes or who don't have some kind of defect don't want to kill themselves. Be honest with yourself. There's nothing you've ever done wrong or could improve on in your life?

All this does is confirm that they are depressed, and doesn't address why. What if they are actually dumb and bad at life? Would you call that a "chemical imbalance"? No, you would call that a normal response to extreme failure.

Sure. In a very "true" sense not all people can control it. But I'd say 75% of depression cases can be improved through lifestyle. And people will not attempt change unless they believe it's possible.

I have depression myself from time to time, I mean literal refusal to leave bed and desire to commit suicide. It's almost always caused by poor life choices on top of stress.

they are full of shit, depression has always been a thing although people erroneously self-diagnose it now

>For them, people are depressed because they are lazy, and if it's not the case, they are just stupid.
They are the stupid people

>So the cure for depression is to do something, work. And for the second case, just stop being stupid.
The former doesn't really help because depression has nothing to do with that, and the latter is just again shit

>
Also, there are a lot of people, including academics, students and people on this board that claims that Psychology itself is just a pseudoscience for Psychiatry like Astrology is for Astronomy.
They are also full of shit although Psychology is a pretty shitty field to go into

>baiting this hard

dude I promise if you experienced real depression you wouldn't wonder if it's real or not, old people know jack shit, they grew up in a world where abstract thought was all but nonexistent

Arbeit macht frei my dear gentleman

Pick up a shovel and go remove some snow or shit.
Don't sit in a chair shitposting all day claiming that you are depressed.

Depression is very real and people should be discouraged from dismissing it as lazyness. I heard a very interesting TED talk about it

>depression isn't real becuz u shouldn't be depressed lolol

People fall for this retarded bait?