Clarice Lispector

Should I wait until I've learned more Spanish to read Clarice? Or are her translated works fine?

Also, Clarice Lispector general. What is her best work to start with, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Complete-Stories-Clarice-Lispector/dp/0811219631)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

To clarify, would Spanish help with treading through her language, being closer to it than english is?

Qué hermosa mujer.

She wrote in portuguese, not spanish dumb angloposter.

She wrote in portuguese you fucking meme piece of shit

what is wrong with you people

hence I was mistaken at first - I'm in the process of learning Spanish, but Portuguese is less far off. So would it be better to wait until I can get a grasp of her original language (i.e. after I've developed with spanish and am able to branch out into South America), thereby getting all that prose goodness, or is she translated well into english?

Oh, sorry, didn't read that. Spanish and portuguese aren't THAT close, although you might be able to understand her works a little. It's best to read a translation, to be quite honest with you.

Who are some other good Portuguese/Brazilian writers?

no Pessoa

Saramago, Machado de Assis, João Guimarães Rosa, Carlos Drummond de Andrade (poet), Graciliano Ramos. I don't know many, actually, because I couldn't give a shit when I was in high school. I've only recently started reading them.There is also Mia Couto, although he is from Angola.

Brazil has too many poets for Veeky Forums's prose-centric discussions, but my favourite non-poetry writers are (keeping translation availability in mind) Guimarães Rosa, Raduan Nassar, Antonio Callado and Rubem Fonseca.

Saramago, senpai. One of the greats in 20th century fiction.

Translation is just fine. I'd start with Near to the Wild Heart but The Passion According to GH was the best I read overall.

Camões, Machado de Assis and Drummond de Andrade are certainly the most important. If you want to go deeper, get into Guimarães Rosa, Graciliano Ramos, Euclides da Cunha, Eça de Queirós, Augusto dos Anjos etc.
For more recent writers, check out Mia Couto (from Angola), Saramago, Raduan Nassar.

Excuse me but you have provided the only useful answer in the thread. Now, I don't know where the fuck you're coming from but we don't do that shit here, buddy, get it? Where the fuck do you think you are?

A native spanish speaker could read her. A english speaker who is learning spanish, uh, not so much. Go for translations. Her prose is not syntactically hard, so it goes well in translation. She's like a Dostoyevsky who prefered to be concise.

Depends on what you're aiming, of course.

Looks like a dyke.

>Should I wait until I've learned more Spanish to read Clarice? Or are her translated works fine?
just imagine her while being fucked

You can start with the short stories (amazon.com/Complete-Stories-Clarice-Lispector/dp/0811219631) like everyone else.

Or start with The Passion according to G.H., after that Hour of the Star (lastest translation).

and after that you read Marguerite Yourcenar

Where's Coelho?

Le racist anime frogboard, yeah I get it.

Books > bantz

Her works are pretty experimental... i recommend you to learn portuguese to fully understand her message and prose.

Machado de Assis

It's not. Don't talk bullshit about a language you don't know.