Are gender roles cultural or they have biological basis?

Are gender roles cultural or they have biological basis?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_sex_differences
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

both

A bit of both.

very difficult, bordering on impossible to parcel out the contributions. I tend to think it is environmentally very flexible and you can see that even by just observing other primates and mammals. However, there are biological differences in the sexes so it is logical to think there are some psychological differences (we already see this in some hormones/neurotransmitters) and that these have some effect or predispositon on social structure out of implications from sexual selection and parental investment. I do think though, genetic effects cannot exist without environmental (and partly genetic) sandpits which we ourselves can construct and in away genetic effects might depend on that. I think we can manipulate it. I think theres no teleology in biological roles necessarily and any behaviour can be permitted so long as it is in coherence with selectionism. I think heritability also doesn't effect the malleability of a trait.

i think if you put genetic effects in certain sandpits then they kind of lose their relevance if you understand what i mean.

its important to understand when you study individual differences that all effects are specific to the population and do not necessarily reflect the malleability or potential of the species outside of that context.

more so biological. society has probably done more harm than good in the last 50 years with respect to gender roles, where as previously they were fostered rather than dismantled.

>or

Sophomoric

not true. thats completely subjective and it is confounded (in my imagination of what you're talking about) by factors which are not to do with gender roles necessarily. theres also like no solid way of making conclusions about this kind of topic.

>>or
>Sophomoric

Pedantic

Women could have been the hunters but given they are weaker they would have died a lot.

What are the purely physical differences between the male and female body/mind?

Are there many?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_sex_differences

weird how its not like that for other animals. maybe be because human children come out so underdeveloped and slow at developing, humans just developed this division of labour for women to focus on looking after kids and not doing much else.

The roles are cultural, but they have biological basis. Men take masculine roles because they have higher testosterone on average so they will be the tough ones and do tough stuff. The traditional roles go out with window with modern humans though because we adhere to manmade law have the ability to manufacture hormones.

A woman today chooses to be a homemaker. A woman 1000 years ago had to be one because she wasn't worth a damn laboring in the fields compared to her husband and sons who would rather have her making food so they have energy to work the fields.

Why does it always sound like they are purposefully trying to be vague?

because biology is sexist.

In most other animals both sexes just roam around looking for food and shit, not even grouping up, until mating season comes and they get a lot of boner hormones so they group up just to fuck and then go back to roaming around.

If those animals did not behave like this and instead settled in homes then you would see the stronger sex go out for food while the weaker sex stays to take care of children.

But I think we should be like the animals. I think the weaker sex in this system is too privileged. In the case of humans, the weaker sex would be the women. So I think it is better to just roam around until a certain time comes and then we group up and fuck and then stay alone. Hookup culture is kinda like this so go hookup culture.

Maybe it's my own biases making it seem this way.

It's very difficult to get hard facts on this.

Sometimes I'll read there are differences only to later see new articles proclaiming there are none. Opinions seem to be varied

because is ideologically driven.

look how trasgenders tend to fall in more traditional roles than heterosexuals.

while you can say there are biological differences and they probably evolved together with social structure, im not sure you can say that biology necessarily causes the roles we have even though we are different. Can even in some sense say its the other way round and in other social structures, biological differences might even have negligible effects.

gee phil your mom has a dick

There are certainly some differences caused by biology though.

Haven't study's on the behavior of babies/very young children proved that?

this is srsly dumb guestion

hmm, from what i've heard they say there are differences but i'm saying that theres a difference between saying that men and women are different and saying that those differences cause us to have certain roles.

Ah ok, I understand