West = Poshlost

>Andrei Tarkovsky, The Interview: What can we say constitutes a masterpiece in the West? Even during the Renaissance, it is always the cry of human soul, which expresses a thousand desires: Look how happy I am! Look how unhappy I am! Look how I suffer! Look how I love! Look what villains encircle me! Look how I struggle against evil! Look how I perish under the weight of evil! Look how I prevail!
>In other words: Me! Me! Me!
Wtf, I hate western literature now? Why is western art so selfish and individualistic baka.

wtf I hate Tarkovsky now

Wtf I hate memes now

>Symbolism is too narrow a notion to me, because symbols are there to be decoded. But an artistic image can't be decoded, it is an equivalent of the world we live in.
>A woman's ability to do a man's job is nothing special. Of course she can do it, but that doesn't prove anything.
>If someone already knows himself to be a genius, why write at all?
>Tragedy purifies man.
Everything this man said is gold. If only western authors could be as deep and selfless as him.

>>If someone already knows himself to be a genius, why write at all?
this is me

Are Russians always this full of shit?

Elaborate pls.

>Art is born and takes hold wherever there is a timeless and insatiable longing for the spiritual, for the ideal: that longing which draws people to art. Modern art has taken a wrong turn in abandoning the search for the meaning of existence in order to affirm the value of the individual for its own sake. What purports to be art begins to look like an eccentric occupation for suspect characters who maintain that any personalized action is of intrinsic value simply as a display of self-will. But in artistic creation the personality does not assert itself, it serves another, higher and communal idea. The artist is always a servant, and is perpetually trying to pay for the gift that has been given to him as if by a miracle. Modern man, however, does not want to make any sacrifice, even though true affirmation of self can only be expressed in sacrifice. We are gradually forgetting about this, and at the same time, inevitably, losing all sense of our human calling.
This is from Sculpting in Time. The perfect argument against Literary Modernism.

tarkovsky put stan brakhage on suicide watch

unironically this

kek, my film studies prof studied under that guy in the 90's.

me too

>implying Russian isn't

Arseny Tarkovsky writes the most comfy and deep poems in the world. Even when the metres are gone in translation, his poems are still as deep as Shakespeare's deepest poems. He's somehow better than pushkin tbqh.

If you live in a house - the house will not fall.
I'll summon any of the centuries,
Then enter one and build a house in it.
That's why your children and your wives
Sit with me at one table, -
The same for ancestor and grandson:
The future is being accomplished now,

he is a resentful idiot who fails to understand the people

Andrei Rublev is my favorite movie to this day

Tarkovsky is one of the reasons I decided to learn Russian.

The poetry in his movies had such a beautiful music to it, I really wanted to understand it properly. It's such a musical language

I've seen Solaris, Stalker and Mirror, though in low quality versions from the internet
Where do I go from here?

Veeky Forums, i need a good movie that will make me cry, ideally of how beautiful it is, but sadness is fine too.

You can read Tark's books if you haven't before moving on to Nostalghia.

The Sacrifice.