>age
>location
>current book you're reading, and how do you like it

>18
>North Dakota
>Infinite Jest. Probably the most intelligent commentary on love and relationships I've read thus far.

25, South Africa, Learned Optimish - Martin E. P. Seligman, too soon

>20
>France
>Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man. It is pretty nice.

>20
>London
>English Renessaince Poetry edited by John Williams
Pretty great so far up to Wyatt

>20
>Ruski
>Inherent Vice. I'm not far into it. It's very entertaining and paints a decent semi-historical picture of the seventies, but at the same time I'm kinda bummed that it's just that.

2016 minus birth year
CO
several, because some people read more than one book concurrently; generally favorable

>Southernmost Sweden
>A portrait of the artist as a young man

It's okay. I've just barely started it, and so far it's pretty hard to get through. Mostly because I'm either a retard, or because the language is antique. Probably a mix of both.

Fun note: My ban expired December 17th and I hadn't seen it untill now.

>20
>Tennessee
>V.
I was afraid I'd been meme'd initially, but it's pretty breathtakingly good. Only downside is I have to continually look references up before proceeding in the actual book; Pynch-man makes me feel inferior, and it's kind of fun, in a challenging sort of way.

>21
>Massachusetts
>Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard

Love it. Very enjoyable, the kind of book where you can float in the prose.

is it your first Pynchmeister?

>23
>Norway
>Butcher's Crossing
Except for the agony of being worked till the senses dull (I'm exmilitary, I know this.) I can't feel myself in the world. The protagonist is an idiot for going out from Harvard to go into the mountains with some drunks, with no real purpose to it.

Anyway I'm just borrowing it from my big bro to give him a signal if it's good or what.

>22
>chile
>cloud atlas, mason & dixon, the pale king
Nothing interesting ATM in cloud atlas
mason & dixon funny at times
the pale king goes on with a hard and good theme: boredom, it has managed it so so atm

>19
>UK
>The Aeneid + The Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason

The Aeneid is written beautifully, and though it can be difficult to follow, given that i'm not completely used to Latin names for the gods, it's still a pleasure to read.

Only just started the Fourfold Root and it's basically a long introduction to The World as Will, but I've found it intellectually engaging so far.

Canada
Currently reading a few books:
>The New Testament -- Translated by Lattimore
Beautiful to read. Lattimore is a genius. I read it along with my NSRV Oxford Study Bible.
>Goodbye Canada
More political lamentations. Canadians don't turn out much great literature but we have some very good political writings. Written by the former defense minister, the same guy who founded the Canadian Action Party and talked about UFOs publicly.
>Early Greek Philosophy
Amazing book. Read only when you're fresh though because trying to understand the Greeks can be tough. The books contains translated fragments of the presocratic philosophers, but very litte commentary to help you sort out what it all means. Some greeks write very cryptically, others write very plainly.
>White Noise
Classic Delillo. It has a bit of a YA feel to it almost, but it's a great book to read.

Ontario
Borges, the complete fictions
Staring from the begining his early stories are alright but I'm not super into them. Looked ng forward to the later ones.
Micheal Chabon, the Yiddish policeman's union
Enjoying it so far. It's sometimes a little too stereotypically noir but I'm warming up to it.

Looking*

Austria
Reading Metro 2033 in Russian

Yeah; in all honestly, I hadn't heard of him before first venturing into Veeky Forums a few years ago. I originally thought about diving straight into GR, but I've always liked chronological ~order in most authors to sort of gauge their progress (or regression), so V. it is.
It was a bit jarring at first for a solid pleb like me, but I think I've sort of become acclimated.

forgot to add that I like it and it's fun to practice the language whilst reading

>196
>Johannesburg
>Brick by Brick: how the Lego company rewrote the rules of innovation

i'm about half way through. it's pretty good. very readable

>22
>DC
>Brave New World

Just started reading it. Seems interesting.

England
Gravity's Rainbow. I found the first 200 pages to be good, but a bit of a slog at times. I've just started the second section so I'm hoping it will pick up a bit.

>18
>Israel
>The Brothers Karamazov
>Really like it, haven't even reached the middle yet and it already feels as if this book can get get into my top 5 easily.

>22
>Michigan
>Fear and Trembling

Well I'm a good Catholic boy again.

It picks up in the second section and only gets better from there. I found the first section extremely difficult to get through, but kept pushing. It's worth it.

>25 1/2
>SoCal
>To the Lighthouse
I'm enjoying it but so far I don't like it as much as i did Mrs. Dalloway. Granted, I'm only on chapter 8 and Mrs. Dalloway had a very strong start. I hope it grows.

Houston
about to start Lolita and hoping it doesn't change me too much

>21
>Israel
>Ferdydurke by Witold Gombrowicz, it's quite good and very amusing.

>22
>Virginia
>Spotted Horses by Faulkner
Just started today, should finish it in a day or two since its so short. Loving it so far, the only other Faulkner I've read is As I Lay Dying and I really didn't enjoy it but that was in high school when I much more pleb.

>18
>UK
>Pale Fire, I'm enjoying it so far, it's amusing to see how close Kinbote thinks Shade is to him and how much value he places on his analysis over the poem itself

>26
>Mississippi
>Just finished Children of Cain waiting for Uncollected Stories of Faulkner to come in this week

Just finished Pale Fire. Amazing how it all comes together in the end.

sup nigga

>18
>England
>Mistborn book 2. Forcing myself to get through it honestly so I can get to Malazan. The writing just kinda sucks but it's not that bad i guess

>25
>UK
>V

This is the first I've read by Pynchon. I'm 100 pages in, thoroughly enjoying it, but not totally sure what's going on.

>17
>Chile
>The Savage Detectives & a little bit of Blood Meridian.

TSD it's pretty interesting and I really like the way Bolaño describes the ambiguity of Ulises Lima and Arturo Belano by different protagonists, each one with their own story and evolutional ark.

I'm still reading Blood Meridian's first chapter but I can agree that McCarthy's prose is such a delight, even better that what I already saw in other works from him as No Country For Old Men or The Road

>19
>Alberta
>As I Lay Dying

I love it so far, especially Darl's bits

Mauritania
Notes from the underground- Very relatable though the whole thing becomes boring at the second act

>23
>LONDON
>Aristotle's Physics
It's pretty dense, I can read only about 10-15 pages in an hour. You have to read a bit, think about it for a while, then continue. I'm actually enjoying it though

You may never figure out what's going on, but keep reading... there are some very memorable chapters ahead.

>20
>Maryland

>there is a river. girl gave it to me, writing is meh so i'm trying to speed-read it

>the imitation of christ. it is a lot to absorb, so i am reading it slowly. half of me love it, half of me hates it. it really puts an emphasis on humility, and expresses such a standard of humility that i'd be afraid to bring myself so low.

>walden. super dry. i stopped halfway through to read other stuff, and maybe get back to it after some lighter reading.

>18
>UK
>Crime and Punishment
Although I'm not very far in yet I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

sf
A Farewell To Arms - how do you guys read this boring bullshit?

Wtf are you me? Seriously though...I'm also 20 in TN and reading V.

germany
kafka - america

it's the last book missing in my kafka collection. 100 pages in i think its jolly good.

>19
>New York
>On The Road: The Original Scroll

Complete and total fuckery. Kerouac can't write for fucking shit and I'm honestly wondering why I'm wasting my time. I guess there's an occasional nice sentence and Allen Ginsberg talking about cocks is amusing but that's about all the redeeming qualities this thing has.

>22
>Sweaty taint of the South
>At the Mountains of Madness
Pretty spoopy friends.

Sweden
Fear and loathing in las vegas
its ok
except for all the "dude drugs lmao"

>25
>Chicago
>Sandman Mystery Theater: Really interesting take on a classic comic book character. The art is grotesque but matches the stories really well. It's a bit too on the nose with making the heroes politically correct and everyone else a careless racist/sexist or whatever but I'm still digging it.

>18
>Chicago
>Jane Eyre. It's okay, a little boring and too long for my tastes. I see why some like it, but it's not my thing (it's required reading for AP Lit).

>16
>Chile
>A Room Of One's Own

I love Virginia's writing style, she feels kind and personal, like talking with a friend on the bus. Whilst still getting her ideas and facts clearly. DOWN GOES THE PATRIARCHY

NE
Amazons by Don DeLillo

I think it's one of his best works and I've read a lot of DeLillo. I don't understand why he is so against being recognized for writing it.

>19
>West Germany
>American Psycho

Everyone talks about how "boring" the non-murder parts are, but in my opinion, these are by far the best ones.
They all are funny in their own way while still remaining believable.
The business card part is a well known example, but the "Pastels" scene is also hilarious with the bellinis piling up and Bateman arguing about pizza.

>22
>Sweden
>Weep Not, Child. I'm only one chaptet in, can't say much. Really liked The River Between though.

ooops, forgot to take off trip

>19
>Brazil
>Nicomachean Ethics
Aristotle is absolutely right about most things so i'm enjoying it

>16
Bye.

See ya

Lithuania
Moore's Principia Ethica

I remember reading it and thinking the same thing. "Damn, this guy has his finger on the money..." He correctly identifies human behaviour and motivations. The problem is it's useless as a "what should I do" book. Most ethical works try to answer that question, Arry's is more a study in behaviour and motivation.

>19
>Texas
>Siddhartha

I enjoyed the story and the writing. I'm not a big fan of eastern philosophy tho

>20
>"Poland"
>The Book Thief

Loving it, the little girl's perspective makes the story of war's atrocities a bit more... hospitable? It's not as heart-breaking as Frank's story but it touches your heartstrings nonetheless. And the fact that it is narrated by Death itself turned out to be intresing and not cheesy as you would assume.

The movie's going to suck tho.

>20
>USA
>Invisible man
its pretty good. but i havent gotten that far into it

>21
>Rome
>Stefan Zweig - The Royal Game
>It's pretty dark. You can clearly see how much Zweig was suffering while writing this. He's quite an underrated writer if you ask me

Chicago
East of Eden

I can now choose to do whatever.

I picked this up and felt the same. Read 20 pages and i would only read it for a commentary on some of thr characters (ginsberg and co.) but other than that its one big long rambling from an alcoholic, yay

>18
>Brazil
>The Silmarillion
It's beautiful, I'm really enjoying it

Germoney
Secondary lit on Kierkegaard

From what I get he's like a sophisticated Stirner. Pretty cool.

My favorite novel, it has an incredibly compelling ending.

>23
>Texas
>The Recognitions
I'm only like 80 pages in but so far I am deeply ambivalent. The first chapter felt exceptionally well structured and written. The second part with its relentless interpolation of French and fragmentation of perspective hit me like a brick
fucking wall. Not sure how willing I am gonna be to see this thing through to the end.

>18
>Sweden
>storm of steel

Victoria, Canada

Borges - Collected Fictions
Best short story writer I've ever encountered. His later works especially, where he does away with any pretense of a metaphysical twist in favour of rock solid narrative structure. Also enjoyed the very short historical fiction biographies of Shakespeare and Homer.

>19
>Brazil
>Ulysses + Inherent Vice + Lacan for college.

Ulysses is really good, but I can't read as much as I want because I'm meeting with someone to discuss it, so we set "goals" weekly.

Inherent Vice is my first book by Pynchon and while it seems good, I guess I expected more? Maybe bought too much onto the hype.

Lacan is Lacan, not much more that can be said.

>Inherent Vice is my first book by Pynchon

There's your problem, later Pynchon is "I need something peppy to sell to the meme kids so that I can buy more weed and disguises."

V -> CoL49-> Mason and Dixon -> Gravity's Rainbow -> Against The Day

>18
>Georgia
>The Plague
I dig it, I'm about half way done with it.

>23
>Mexico city
>The savage detectives (Roberto Bolaño) and Beyond good and evil (some autist)

Aye. Massachusetts here too (northshore). 24. Currently reading JR. Sixty pages in. It's refreshing. The non-dialogue stuff is beautiful. I'm kind of awe-struck by it. I haven't been exposed to JR himself all that much. Looking forward to getting into the meat of the novel.

>21
>Toronto
>In Cold Blood-Truman Capote

I happened to come across a first-print copy of this book in a dollar book cart. Shit's tight. I'm loving the book too, it holds up really really well as far as the storytelling goes!

>25
>San Diego
>Dracula, one of the best horror books I've read

I was always hesitant to get into "True Crime" stuff, but In Cold Blood is fucking great. I think it has a lot of literary merit. I think future true crime writers just saw what he did and tried to make a buck off of it. Obviously it's worked for a lot of people.

>26
>Ohio
>Ecrits by Lacan

Wtf am I reading? Are his lectures better than this? I'm nearly 150 pages in, and not sure if I should keep going.

>18
>Oklahoma
>Crime and Punishment
I'm not sure what to think so far. It's not bad by any means. I just got through Marmeladov's story and I found myself pretty intrigued. Seems like it's going to be pretty good.

Washington DC
The Black Company

>18
>AU
>Murakami's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

I'm a little over halfway into it and I'm really enjoying it.

If this is your first contact with psychoanalysis it's pretty insane to try and read Ecrits, while it is better than the seminars as it was written by Lacan himself, it is at the same time harder because it was written by Lacan himself. You should probably go back to Freud if you are interested in psychoanalysis.
If you just want to read Lacan I would stick to "Logical Time and the Assertion of Anticipated Certainty" and the introduction of "Seminar on 'The Purloined Letter'" which is at the end of the text, these two are "easier" texts, the second one not so much. You could try reading his seminars in cronological order also but without reading Freud I don't know how much you will get out of it.

>19
>Plattsburgh, NY
>Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev
>The first part was really great, lots of beautiful parts that shone through translation. In the middle, and can't see where things are going.

Thanks user, I'll read what you recommended. I know some psychoanalysis and am somewhat acquainted with Freud (I was a psych major and read the whole of Interpretation of Dreams 6-7 years ago, that's about it), but I feel pretty lost here. Would I need to have read the entirety of Freud's oeuvre to get this?

I actually was worried about this, having read summaries of Lacan's ideas, but my friend told me he didn't think Lacan was difficult at all and that he'd never read any Freud. I'm starting to think he didn't understand it at all.

21, Alabama and i'm rereading harry potter for the first time in 6 years.

I really, really doubt one could read Lacan without reading Freud and get anything from it. One could say that whole lacanian "way" is essentially reading Freud, almost everything Lacan has to say he gets from Freud and he himself always said that.

While I don't think you have to read everything from Freud before going into Lacan, I didn't, far from it actually, there are some key texts which you would be better off reading, like chapter 7 of Interpretation of Dreams, On Narcissism, Beyond the Pleasure Principle, the first one founded psychoanalysis basically. Besides that there are the cases, which I personally enjoy reading, and whole lot of other good texts The Psychopathology of Everyday Life, Inhibitions, Symptoms and Anxiety, The Ego and the Id, etc.

>age
>location
Mexico
>current book you're reading, and how do you like it
Where the Air Is Clear, this is my first contact with Carlos Fuentes. The plot is convoluted and the language is unnecessarily pompous, but apparently the main protagonist is the city where this takes place rather than the characters.

It's shit and overrated.

Amazing book.

>27
>Maryland
>Europe Central

It's pretty good You Bright and Risen Angel was better though

>20, nearly 21
>Florida
>All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews. I'm on the second chapter, haven't really formed an opinion yet. The prose is nice.

Kys

>18
>Burger
>Das Kapital, pretty sexy, desu

>Maryland

yuck

>21
>Australia
>Brothers K, I've only got about 100 pages to go and so far it's great. I will be starting The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler soon too

> 26
> To The Lighthouse
> Every line has great meter, but I'm bored.

Mein Kampf

Alabama

>25
>Chicago
>Plato's Dialogues while commuting and Marcus Aurelius Meditations while at home

Both are quite enjoyable, I was much more familiar with what i was jumping into with The Dialogues than I was with The Meditations. I quite like how accessible they are and do not understand why they are not more widely read. I can understand shying away from certain philosophers and religious text/philosophy as recommend reading, because the writing styles tend to be hard to engage with, but many of the Hellenic and Roman authors of old were quite easy to understand.

I spend the majority of my time reading essay's and journals though, which often only take at most two days. I like to read long, philosophical, or fiction at a much more leisurely pace whenever I have time