A scientific question

Lets say someone shot a giant space laser at the yellowstone caldera and burned a whole through the rock into the magma chamber, could it set off the volcano?

That's a solid maybe.

Why would it have to be a space laser?
Why not just dump a bunch of thermite down it?

down what?

Down the volcano into the magma chamber

I mean wouldn't the sudden release of pressure cause it to erupt?

/thread

But there's no hole, that's sort of the point of this (shitty) thread

It would have to be a very big hole

Burned a whole what thought the rock?

maybe its good yellowstone happens; all the heavy economic centres will be relatively well preserved, it will just kill the hicks, hillbillies and trump supporters in the middle of the country.

>trump supporters in red stares deny global warming
>8 years into Trump presidency global warming reaches disastrous levels
>Yellowstone happens wiping out all red states
>volcanic fallout causes nuclear winter reversing global warming

>San Fransico Bay Area barely touched by raining ash
>SoCal not even touched
WHAT THE FUCK
I JUST WANT THE WHOLE GODDAMN STATE TO SLIDE INTO THE OCEAN
IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR

just the trumpfags im afraid :)

I went to north west washington, orgegon, idaho, montana, wyoming. Was actually surprised how backward america is around there outside of the cities and college towns. Beautiful landscapes though, traveling through though : desert, mountain, pine forest, so beautiful and varied. And the milky way too.

Could we drill a big hole and set it off?

>California is not in the killzone.

Maybe we can use the same laser to set off the san andreas fault as well? Just one well positioned blast one a piece of rock that when disintegrated will set off a magnitude 9 earthquake.

If it goes off the whole world is fucked because of the inevitable mini ice age.

I've been thinking about a way to set off the Yellowstone for a while.

I would recommend kinetic bombardment from orbit using tungsten rods. Aka Project Thor. It possess great penetrative ability. All you have to do is send a tungsten pole with thruster strapped on into orbit. Certainly doable with our current technology. There is also no defense against this method and it doesn't break the Outer Space Treaty prohibiting WMD in space. So kinetic bombardment is a go.

I would be surprised if the Russians didn't thought about using this method during WW3. You can essentially destroy half of USA and cripple the rest.

Then you can use another one on Gibraltar to cause massive landslide which would case more then 100m tsunami on west cost essentially finishing the rest of the USA.

They don't even have to use a single nuke to destroy America just sending two tungsten poles into space would be enough.

setting off yellowstone will not destory half US, it will destroy the whole continent.

Haha no, it goes off every 200 000y, if it would destroy the whole continent every time, the continent would be devoid of life since 200 000y is not enough time for living organism to spread through it.

>kinetic bombardment
Didn't a certain Professor Wile E. Coyote prove this doesn't really have much impact?

>Gibraltar to cause massive landslide which would case more then 100m tsunami on west cost
That's one amazing tsunami. Does it travel through Panama or does it go round one of the capes?

>Gibraltar
I thought it was some Canary Island landslide that will wipe out the east coast?

>Gibraltar
>West Coast
But I get your point, user.

Yeah it was Canary Island, I got these irrelevant pieces of rock mistaken.

Yellowstone is not the same as it was 2 million years ago or 600,000 years ago. It's fun to think about stuff like that but it's just not possible.

If the rock between the magma chamber and the main plume liquefies then it would definitely would be 2 million years ago levels of destruction

Ow. What?

Maybe strapping nuclear device in the back of the pole and detonating it before the impact to accelerate the tungsten pole into the ground?

I've heard a story that the first manmade object in space was actually a manhole covering a hole in which a nuclear detonation experiment took place.

The calculated speed the manhole was ejected after the explosion was enough to propel it into space if it didn't burn up in atmosphere.

It would use the same method but in reverse.

Just scan the whole area with your orbital laser. Leave nothing to chance. Purge it all.

OP suggested we "burn a whole through the rock". Obviously, he accidentally a word.

>Using laser in the atmosphere.

what would happen?

>An experimental study of horizontal laser beam propagation over paths up to 145 km long was made in which beam diameter and shape, intensity fluctuations, and optical phase distortion were measured. It was found that (1) received beam diameter decreases (on-axis power density increases) with increasing transmitter aperture to a limit reached at an aperture of about 11 cm, (2) beam diameter varies as the 1.2 power of path length, (3) the amplitude of intensity fluctuations decreases with increasing receiver aperture and is nearly independent of path length for paths longer than 0.55 km, (4) the fluctuation spectrum shows a decrease in spectral power with increasing frequency, this negative slope becoming steeper with increasing receiver aperture and remaining constant with path length, and (5) rms fluctuation in phase path length was observed to be 0.25 micro over a 48.8-m path. In addition, it is shown that geometrical optics based on the effects of large scale atmospheric irregularities does not adequately account for signal intensity fluctuations. These results may be helpful in predicting the capability of specific communications systems and in understanding better the nature of atmospheric turbulence.

Sauce? Im on phone

200 000 years is definitely enough, life forms are annoying persistent fucks

Describe this "giant space laser"

It took few million years for life to repopulate the American continent after the fall of the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs.

I hope so

>a giant space laser

>hurfdurf what is the corn belt and American agriculture

Enjoy starving when the "hicks" who produce your organic shit produce die.

>one supervolcano's soot
>enough to reverse global warming

jej

Why dont you like california?

Is this the state version of penis envy?

Pic related this morning Solana Beach on my way to work

>Is this the state version of penis envy?

It's the human version of butthurt

It's the natural revulsion toward authoritarianism

enjoy your nanny state, serfs