Is this the closest a cartoon has ever got

to being a literary masterpiece?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t9CXmEUwvgM
youtube.com/watch?v=dFSc7aaj2JM
bakabt.me/torrent/167740/senya-ichiya-monogatari-a-thousand-and-one-nights-arabian-nights-h264-480p-orphan-tophf
bakabt.me/torrent/168788/cleopatra-cleopatra-queen-of-sex-1970-h264-orphan-tophf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

watch EoE

the answer is yes

No. There were some really crazy art-house cartoons and animations in the 60's and 70's that were "masterpiece" style without pandering to the masses.

Evangelion was no way "pandering" to the masses

evangelion didn't aspire toward literary greatness, rather all literature must now aspire towards evangelion's greatness

Monster is a literary anime, but it isn't a "masterpiece of literature".

Paranoia Agent is a masterpiece of television.

How's high school going?

no
pic related is absolutely Veeky Forums

Nah. It's this.

Such as?

Anno could have made a low-key drama about depression. Instead he made a drama about depression with cool robot fights and waifus. Its still the best anime ever, or at least up there, but its not like its some french avant garde film with super niche appeal

there is fan service for sure though

Fucking GOAT desu

Ad hominem.

Sauce?

But one of the most profound things about the series is how it criticises the kind of things that animation studios did to incentivise viewers. Tits, explosions, big plot arcs, Eva shamelessly exploits all the anime cliches at the start of the series in order to get "the masses" to listen, because on the tail end of the series, and in EoE, all of these tropes are revealed as just another facet of our loneliness.

Now I could write about this children's cartoon all day but let me just point this out, other medium could express what Eva has to say about the human condition, and therefore I would lean toward describing it as a true work of art. I don't know about literary, that for me implies the written word.

amen

No.

Almost

>12 Oz Mouse
What the fuck its going on in that show

My best guess is drug abuse.

Lotgh

Everything else is pandering pseudshit.

shoujo kakumei utena/revolutionary girl utena

start of the first arc and the Black Rose arc are both slow; stick it out and you'll be rewarded. contains gratuitous references to Demian, symbolism, lots of gay people, solid critique of the patriarchy's effects on men and women, a greek chorus of shadow puppets, jungian archetypes expressed through fairy tales, and weird shit. the only show I've seen consistently recommended on Veeky Forums.

the movie is gorgeous, and also completely impenetrable without knowledge of the show.

watch it, and don't skip recap episodes, since they provide you with other character's views on the same events. get past episode nine, and you won't be disappointed.

Evangelion is just a poor man's Gravity's Rainbow.

>Such as?

Not him, but here's a list of things better than Evangelion that isn't limited to the 60s and 70s:

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926)
Fantasia (1940) (yes it's Disney but classical music is as Veeky Forums as Disney has ever been)
Heaven and Earth Magic (1962)
Fantastic Planet (1973)
Heavy Traffic (1973)
Coonskin (1975)
Time Masters (1982)
Angel's Egg (1985)
The Pied Piper (1986)
When the Wind Blows (1986)
Gandahar (1988)
Alice (1988)
Faust (1994)
Institute Benjamenta (1995)
Whisper of the Heart (1995)
Kirikou and the Sorceress (1998)
Little Otik (2000)
Spirited Away (2001)
The Triplets of Belleviille (2003)
Paprika (2006)
Waltz with Bashir (2008)
The Illusionist (2010)
The Congress (2013)
Anomalisa (2015)

meant to reply to

Not even in its own medium, no.

youtube.com/watch?v=t9CXmEUwvgM

this desu

also evangelion isn;t even anno's best work, that's kare kano.

Very good list.

is utena unironically the best piece of theater produced since Faust?

I see no one has mentioned Ratboy Genius.

Honestly the bizarre animation coupled with the low poly Nintendo 64-esque graphics and robotic voices gives me quite the feels, almost like vaporwave. The storylines and music are surprisingly good too.

If you think about it, literature, music, dance, panting, animation, photography, videogames, and even martial arts, are all just branches of art that makes use of different mediums to convey a message/philosophy.

There is no superior art form, just the thing that you like better.

>Paprika
>better than Evangelion

It is

but only aesthetically

That would be Utena

Hah, I got the joke.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is the pinnacle of humanity's legacy.

A Chinese cartoon about robots is greater than Tolstoi. It's greater than any work by Bach or Shakespeare. It's greater than any Da Vinci and Picasso painting.

It's greater than the Sistine Chapel, the Great Wall of China or Great Pyramid of Giza.
It's even greater than Newton Mechanics or Plato's Philosophy.

So, why is it nor regarded as our higher point? It's still too young. Within 2k years, people shall recognize it. We'll not see it happen, but at least we were able too see its inception.

one we day we will ALL get in the fucking robot

EVA is pretty simple. But Anno obviously knows about image composition and how to deliver a simple message in a big way (for example the idea of having the last episode of gunbuster in black and white because he knows colors can describe situations and emotions).

Anno using Shinji shows to the public how he overcome his depression. The show gets really explicit at the end with Shinji saying he can't love others if he doesn't love himself, and human relationships being worthy.

You could resume the whole message in a sesame street episode and still would be the same idea. Obviously it wouldn't have the same impact.

Would add Princess Kaguya to the list, but good choices overall

The Congress is insane.

I caught it at a film festival a few years back and left the theater feeling physically ill- almost like vertigo.

Hugely underrated film.

This.

>Doesn't include a single Animerama movie
Fucking plebs. No matter which board you're on you can't get away from them.

It's not even as good as little kuriboh's parody of it

>tfw no ultraslut Homeric literalist gf

Anime:
>illustrated fake crap
>needs hundreds of animators and a huge studio to create
>full of soviet montage crap
>emotional manipulations
>banal and cliche characters
>rigidly developed plot
>poshlost narrative and theme
>relies on sex appeal

К И HO:
>the most truthful art form that displays the world in the most natural way
>needs three men, a dog, a camera, and an abandoned town that is free to enter
>deep meditative shots without any form of romanticism
>devoid of any emotional characteristics, emotion comes from the audience themselves unforced by the director
>characters that embody real human personality
>sequences are linked by aesthetically beautiful poetic links
>unique takes on the man's longing for harmony
>relies on poetic appeal

totally plebeian list, christ.

Recently watched the whole original series.

I went into it really wanting to like it, and there are good moments. The budgetary restrictions aside, the show unravels about 3/4 of the way through, as it becomes increasingly psychological. What starts as a fun mecha/action show turns into a superficial, pseudo-intellectual piece of existential bullshit.

I'll watch EoE at some point before I completely close the door on Evangelion, but for now I'll stick with Geass. Hell, I'd rather re-watch the second arc of SAO than re-watch Evangelion.

As much as I'd like it to be, this isn't bait.

Geass? Holy shit user. No wonder you think NGE is pretentious.

>NGE is pretentious
I would say that the unnecessary, meaningless Christian imagery definitely is, but that basically everything else isn't.

This is incredibly obvious. I don't know why everybody has issues seeing this.

The plot is clearly inspired by Christian elements, the imagery is therefore necessary to understand what hasn't been explicitly stated. You'd be stupid go trust a troll like Anno when he says he threw this kind of imagery because he thought it looked cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=dFSc7aaj2JM

name some, nigger

imo the best one is Beladonna of Sadness. complete masterpiece.

haven't seen all of those, but more than half. it's a good list.

youre cool anyway for including lotte reiniger.

Not an argument.

No, you'd be stupid to see it as something more. Anno clearly had little to no knowledge of Christianity and if he did it was Gnosticism and not that of churches and denominations that can be found in Japan.

if you give me a way to view their two early films in good quality I will literally suck your dick

beladonna of sadness is my fav animation of all time, i havent seen the other two

it the allegory of the father-son story even if you don't want to admit it

tark is just the greatest. no director shall ever come close. gbless

plob

the christian imagery was essential to the plot, fucks wrong with you?

it has "genesis" in its name dude what da fuck?

boring list senpai

was being a pleb part of your keikaku? (TL note: keikaku means plan)

The father son relationship of Shinji and Gendo couldn't be compared to anything I can think of from the Bible or even wider Christian tradition. To do so would require a very poor knowledge and understanding of Christianity, not uncommon with evangelion theorist weebs.

it's not tradition per se, the story is not a proselytizing tool, more of a parody

lmao at this ignorant faggot

bakabt.me/torrent/167740/senya-ichiya-monogatari-a-thousand-and-one-nights-arabian-nights-h264-480p-orphan-tophf

bakabt.me/torrent/168788/cleopatra-cleopatra-queen-of-sex-1970-h264-orphan-tophf

I think that they're both excellent movies, but keep in mind that Tezuka took a different approach to this stuff. Cartoonier and goofier. Just as stylish though. I'm a really big fan of all three.

>insults me
>still provides links

i am 100% okay with this famalam

usually dont torrent, but ill make an exception this time

ill download pic related, too, it looks great

So you're saying, the target audience, which is the banal audience, gets to enjoy enlightenment, whilst people who actually could like the verdict are pushed away by the cliches?
But why would one watch anime, if one were in it for anything else... I've grown out of it, i can't make it threw the opening episodes.

I thought it was a mess done in bad taste desu.

>downloading video girl ai
It's simple and stupid but so sincere and such an impossible to recreate product of its time that it's almost impossible not to find it endearing.

Did you ever watch monster?

once I got a professor to show "Potato Knishes" in class

Overrated shit

It is overrated yeah, I wouldn't say shit though. Just falls short.

is this aim for ace?

its a great show, its not overrated

"death note" is overrated. it's made out to be the best show ever, but its pure garabage

monster, while being far from my favorite show, was actually great imo

I liked death note. Judge me :)

you do not have very good taste in anime

then again most people dont care for ghost hound, master keaton and nadia: secret of blue water

and those are legitimately some of the best anime series ever made in the history of mankind

absolute goat

Setting the guidlines to what is good taste and what bad taste is. You must be full of yourself.
>My taste is so exquisite, i guess you never heard of it.
The series may be good, they may be bad, it's of no relevance. Don't you notice you're looking down at yourself?

Yeah, that's 'Aim for the Ace!' Animation was cheap of course but when the camera was going to linger on something they made sure it looked good.

Maria-sama ga Miteru is the best anime.

Gurren lagann, not so good

Here I think we should be, to provoke you a little, dogmatists. But I mean it in a good way. I wonder if you would agree with me, I wouldn't want to live in a society where we constantly have to debate whether NGE is literary or not. We should just say "it isn't" and anyone who says otherwise is a weeb who needs to fuck off to /a/ tbqh.

>the last episode of gunbuster in black and white
fucking incredible ending desu

this is laughably wrong. some mediums are obviously much farther refined: sculpture, poetry, etc. Film can't come close. It's a hodgepodge of hundreds of different peoples ideas- and still in its infancy. There is no Winged Victory of film.

this

the Christian imagery isn't meaningless, but it is shallow (hurr durr Gendo's cross to bear).

the closest you can get is Abraham and Isaac. Perhaps Abraham and Ishmael. I doubt Anno knows jackshit about either.

dezaki is one of the greats

haha that pic

That gif is kino as fuck. I'm appropriating it for future threads. Have this one in return.

Monster is great and it's sad that most people don't understand its ending.

It's one of the most popular and well-known anime on the planet...

Yes, and?

>Film can't come close.

I don't see any reason to believe that. The constituents of film predate it and had time to be refined, so that it's "still in its infancy" is irrelevant

>anime fags on my Veeky Forums

REEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEE

>frog faggots on my Veeky Forums

>Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature, specifically books (fiction & non-fiction), short stories, poetry, creative writing

well known =/= pandering

Utena is literature

go back to school

0/10 bait.

you too, babe.

>You must be full of yourself.

yup, can confirm

>The series may be good, they may be bad, it's of no relevance. Don't you notice you're looking down at yourself?

why the fuck do you think we're here? either join the discussion or fuck off

absolutely not