I could not hold my father in much love, my mother either. Indeed, I learned to love far later, as it proved...

>I could not hold my father in much love, my mother either. Indeed, I learned to love far later, as it proved, than they had time for. So perished they without it. None of us grieves. I’ve played a few sly tricks upon insanity since then, and now life holds me as it once held them-in a dry fist. Hearts held that way wad up eventually … trees did. Once—once only—my heart burst bloodily in that grip. But what has this to do with me now, or with Germany?

>bloodily

Gas ain't the only think troubling Gass

Jesus Christ Gass is so fucking intense and scary.

That's actually bretty gud. I like it.

William 'from thine own ass comes a miasma of' gass is quite the patrician.

Very funny, posting a picture of Gass with a quote by John Green.

this guy needs to lighten up, holy shit

I've never read Gass but gassthreads are my favourite

>Hearts held that way wad up eventually … trees did.

I don't understand what the purpose of the ellipsis is there. Wouldn't a dash or a colon have worked better?

>colon
>gas

you should read him. In terms of the Tunnel, imagine an entire book where each sentence is as intense as the OP quote, often more. The bit at the end meditating on how the only way the alcoholic mother can preserve any power is by falling asleep in her own menstrual blood and vomit on the living room carpet got me hard.

fuck that last sentence was ill-conceived. Should be it got me, hard.

>bloodily

lol

king of Veeky Forums greasysnob.jpg

How the fuck'd you do that?

meme magic user.

like this?

nicely done, all

Fucking kek.

>“The years were never an element, because my parents didn’t age, they simply sickened. My father was mean and cocky like Cagney all the way to the dump. Flat on his back, his bones poking this way and that like the corpses in the camps, he still had a fiery eye, as though, but for those two coals, the grate held ash. There’s no easy way out of this life, and I do not look forward to the day they put those tubes up my nose, and a catheter shows my pee the way out like some well-trained servant. I saw how my father’s body broke his spirit like a match; and I saw how my mother’s broken spirit took her body under the way a ship stinks after being disemboweled by an errant bag of ice.”

Wow. Really makes you think.

Is the tunnel/gass actually worth reading? So many memes infesting this board, I need an honest answer.

I like pomo fwiw

nah its just a meme

>So perished they without it
why not just say "so they perished without it"? The inversion just seems pretentious. The rest is good.

read his first collection. In the heart of the heart of the country. And omensetter's luck

It's very worth reading but you shoukd read in the heart or omensetters first