Is he the biggest waste of mathematical talent

of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Green_(mathematician)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shes got a sexy cat eye look

that's a boy u dope!

no homo

>gull-wah

disgusting anglo swine

That's not Ramanujan

That's me, because I'm lazy buy smart ;)

rule 34

ehhh Ramanujan is a meme, he had great brilliance (gauss/euler level) but he really didn't accomplish anything groundbreaking

I certainty wouldn't put Ramanujan on the same level as Grothendieck

is there anyone that's the reverse, like zero talent and started old but still made huge contributions?

prolly one of the greeks desu

imagien if they had proofrigour

He resembles the supreme gentleman.

Fuck there he is, every time I see Galois picture posted I keep thinking "I've seen that face somewhere."

He died really young though and probably would have contributed many things if he had lived past 34

Also he's not really a meme because he's relatively unknown outside of academic circles

Not really. While they have the same smirk, Galois is a sexy twink, and Eliot isn't.

Yeah, unlike Ramanujan who is litterally a meme who only produced useless pi-formulas.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Green_(mathematician)

Didnt make it because he was working class, sad.

> Veeky Forums is an academic circle

hes impressive

he was a big brain

Grothendieck was a linguist not a mathematician.

u

I thought there was an implicit agreement. Should I not have been jerking off the fellow to my right?

>Is he the biggest waste of mathematical talent
No, that would be me. Too bad I'm lazy. Too bad for the world.

If only he were a better shot.

I mean the contributions he made during his life still outweigh the majority of mathematical accomplishments in history, so no he wasn't a waste in any sense you twat.

Most mathematicians have nothing to contribute as they get that old.

Ramanujan would most definitely not be like most mathematicians.
He would have been of Euler tier, and those motherfuckers keep producing on their 80's.
Ramanujan is seriously one of the most wasted talents there's been, not only for dying relatively young but because he had no mathematic education. Had someone like Hardy found him when he was 15 instead of 26 he would have done much more.

1. Hardy didn't find him.
2. Ramanujan had mathematics education.
3. His father was an accountant.

>2. Ramanujan had mathematics education.
He never finished college in india, and india wasn't a mathematics powerhouse to begin with. So he never got any education beyond a bachelors before Hardy, and it shows, he rediscovered a lot of formulas that were known in Europe.
>3. His father was an accountant.
What does that have to do with anything? you do know that accounting and research mathematics have zero in common, right?
> 1 Hardy didn't find him.
Ramanujan wrote a letter to him, and Hardy went to the trouble of understanding it enough to not dismiss him as the crank he sounded like. And then he pushed fairly strongly to get him to england, that's what I mean by 'find'.

>he made substantial contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions
so his is a lie?

Galois theory is the foundation of group theory, one of the biggest areas in mathematics.
Ramanujan did neat tricks with fractions and series.
He was a genius, but like a chess player not like a mathematician. He never contributed much, mainly due to lack of proper education.

Duh. Ramanujan is literally a meme EXACTLY because he was a talent that wasn't scouted early enough, which wasted his potential.

>He would have been of Euler tier, and those motherfuckers keep producing on their 80's.
I'm not so sure. I see math as similar in many ways to Olympic sport disciplines. You retire young after a short career because of your physical condition (which brought you there in the first place) and spend the rest of your life couching others. It's not as evident because we tend to think of our mind as of something metaphysical, but it is getting older, just like the body of an athlete.