I am a fourth year math student and somehow avoided anything to do with physics...

I am a fourth year math student and somehow avoided anything to do with physics. Whats are the best intro to physics books that treats the topic with rigor and doesn't insult the reader's intelligence?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.reddit.com/r/Physics/comments/1dmxq7/our_beloved_landaulifshitz_books_are_available/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Take physics or you will be a moron who cannot every apply what he has learned in an actual job where people who cannot produce get fires. You are going to wind up being a nice juco math teacher after they fire you.

I am shocked you go to a school that allows a math degree with no physics.

landau and lifshitz mechanics

>Asks for physics recommendations
>Take physics or you will be a moron

nah senpai I got my shit lined up, thanks for the worries. I am interested in purely a hobby/knowledge interest.

thanks senpai.

If you are fourth year then you have already taken analysis/algebra, but no standard physics series for STEM people? I hope you at least learned to code or you will be jobless.

If you are fourth year then you have already taken analysis/algebra, but no standard physics series for STEM people? I hope you at least learned to code or you will be jobless. I went to UCLA and a year of physics was required.

>physics
>rigor

>needing to attend school to learn physics

Literally lmaoing right now

Landau is a worthless piece of shit.
Don't listen to these brainlets.
Go for something like Arnol'd or Spivak.
Then, I'm sure there are countless PDFs about rigorous introductory mathematical physics.

Any book on introductory physics. I used Serway and Jewett back in highschool myself. Mechanics and E&M are worth paying any attention to. The rest is pointless. After that move on to

Landau&Lifshitz - Mechanics
Landau&Lifshitz - The Classical Theory of Fields
D'Inverno - Introducing Einstein's Relativity
Wald - General Relativity
Jordan - Linear Operators for Quantum Mechanics
Townsend - A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics
Weinberg - Lectures on Quantum Mechanics
Bleecker - Gauge Theory and Variational Principles
Nakahara - Geometry Topology and Physics
Baez - Gauge Fields, Knots, and Gravity
Geroch - Mathematical Physics

>somehow avoided anything to do with physics

What kind of fucking joke school do you go to?

He is likely American because Americans only learn about calculus.

op here
thanks senpai

This. Just read the whole landau lifshitz collection (it's a couple 200 page books on different areas of physics). It will cover all of undergraduate knowledge and provide you with the necessary for more advanced specific graduate topics.

Btw I should have added that you can get it for free online now. Just Google landau lifshitz pdf

inb4 Reddit

m.reddit.com/r/Physics/comments/1dmxq7/our_beloved_landaulifshitz_books_are_available/

Dont read any introductory books, just go straight to the point:

Thorton, Marion - Classical Dynamics
Guru, Hızıroğlu - Electromagnetic Field Theory Fundamentals
Zettili - Quantum Mechanics

etc.

>HURRR HOW CAN YOU STUDY A SUBJECT WITHOUT HAVING TO LEARN ABOUT ANOTHER UNRELATED SUBJECT

But I am American and in my school pretty much all science majors have to take Calc, Chem, and Physics, and even the math majors have to take calc, chem and physics.

I know right. Such random autism. Whatever time you spent studying physics you could have spent studying math. Renaissance man is a joke

I am currently a senior in undergrad heading off to medschool in the next couple years.

I have never taken physics and I am scared god damn shitless. Have a 4.0 even through O-chem and upper calculus, but I am god damn terrified.

This is the American education system at work.

How the fuck can you be terrified of undergrad physics? A little algebra, some basic trig, and some even more basic calculus.

If you railed O-chem and calc, physics will be a breeze.

Theoretical Physics by Joos will probably be what you're looking for. It's a bit old, but it goes over standard stuff in a rigorous way.

Don't even bother. If your school asks just tell them you have dark knowledge of physics.

kek