Sources about reading/learning/understanding

Feel free to post anything that you think might help about proper reading/learning/understanding. I'm reading pic related and even though its a bit of common sense it has some really good points.

Other urls found in this thread:

crap.sceleris.net/HowtoReadABook.pdf
crap
youtube.com/watch?v=BkLE90jSCWU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Didn't they teach you that kind of stuff in school?

1. Stop subvocalizing

That's it.

>Missing the point completely
You're just pretending right?

No, he's being condescending. He knows what you asked.

no, actually.

1. Epic

That's it.

reading is an art desu. there's far more to it than just speedreading techniques.

> How To Read A Book
> you have to read a book so you can learn how to read a book

Only in Obama's America

bump

How the fuck are you supposed to do that?
It is impossible.
It's like saying 'Stop being'.
Subvocalizing whatever you read feels like fundamental nature to me.

Post good talk youtube videos about this topic please

Don't read pic related. That book is trash. All you need is the Norton Anthology to Literary Theory.

this

do you have any link about it? please share

They cover different things.

I listened to the audiobook of that book. Friends would ask what I'm listening to and when I said "how to read a book" I think they assumed I had Downs or something

no they teach you how to define literary terms and summarize novels

Got a good chuckle out of me mate.

If you need the basics

evergladeshs.org/ourpages/auto/2015/5/28/58122395/How%20to%20Read%20Literature%20Like%20a%20Professor.pdf

kek

seems like it could be good, but I'm not gonna spoil col49 for myself. saved it for later

I actually want this book

Just google it

crap.sceleris.net/HowtoReadABook.pdf
>crap

see

The amount of times my stupid normalfag friends have cracked jokes about this fucking book, Jesus Christ, I'm about ready to go postal.

Umm, what?

How to Read a Book is shit. He gives a lot of subjective advice in a much too authoritative manner, and tries to force you to read in a way mainly suits him. Reading styles differ and forcing yourself to read like he thinks you should is likely to reduce your enjoyment of the works that you are reading.

This is even more shit, because the guy is basically a hack and a pseud, and a retard on top of that. He's the guy you think about when you say 'armchair intellectual' - someone who is well-read but still doesn't have a clue about anything. It was a while since I took a look at it, but I urge anyone considering to read it to flip through it before wasting your time. Don't take my word for it.

And what are YOU going to recommend then?

Regular excercise.

Like? Please go in depth, I don't want "just reed da bookz"

That wasn't me, but I'll second that recommendation. I don't think you should read books that tell you how to read books. I think you should read good books instead, and perhaps some commentaries on said books if you want to understand them better. Develop your own technique. Learn to speed-read if you feel like it - though I wouldn't personally recommend it, as it isn't comfy and takes away a lot of the purpose of reading good books. Write notes in the margins and underline stuff if you feel like it helps you, don't do that if you don't want to. Read the index and ToC first if that's your thing - but if you prefer just going with the flow, then do that. Think for yourself.

I'm and I was just trying to make a bad joke and didn't realize exercise doesn't have to mean physical excersise until I had posted it.

>asked for a non generic advice
>he still posts something that every fucking one knows

>"Well okay, mister, if it's all shit, then what would YOU recommend?"
>"I...uh...you see...just go with the flow. Write notes and stuff. Develop a, uh, a technique. J-just be yourself, I guess."

Classic Veeky Forums.

I've started to read The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin. I've only just finished part one, I liked the parts that were about his thinking during games of chess but so far I know nothing about the art of leaning. So far he just seems to be saying that you have to stay positive, motivated and focused but I haven't really found out how, yet.

Anyone else read it?

I haven't but thanks for reminding me of a godawful film.

Waitzkin says the movie is one of the reasons that he quit chess.

Understandable. I wouldn't want to hang out with the demographic most likely to have seen it.

Here's some true Fischerkino: youtube.com/watch?v=BkLE90jSCWU

Is there more?

>not giving a fuck about anything they teach you

I thought this is common among teens, right?

>mfw I've been the one memeing this book all my lit career and someone is actually reading it.

Not saying it is because of me but sheeiiit son that book is fkn awesome. I think I lend it out to one of my friends though, or maybe my dad... Would definitely want to read that book again and wish I read it when I was around 12. Would've changed my life probably.

Not that I know of.

That's not a smart move.

Damn... it really fires dem neuronz

Man its like I see a different opinion about subvocalizing every other day on Veeky Forums. What I've read is that speedreading isnt all that great for retention

Yeah, it's all right to complain about MY advice, until you realize that I was right and that you just saved a few hours of boredom by getting the entire book served to you right here:

>No how to read philosophy,literature,science etc.
>entire book
Yeah, nah