Studies mathematics 8 hours a day

>Studies mathematics 8 hours a day

The Absolute Madman?

How fast could you get through calculus at this rate?

Half a day, tops

I would say you are getting 1 semester in 3 weeks, so you are getting Calculus I, II, III in 9 weeks, that is less than 2 months.

It's not how many hours you put in buy how efficiently you use your time. Work smart not hard.

>How fast could you get through calculus at this rate?
Before lunch.

Calc 1 covers what, differentiation rules, antiderivatices, optimization, related rates, Taylor series?
I'd say with 8 hours of good quality study a day, you can learn everything in a month. That includes understanding it well.

How is he not going insane?

When you rapidly increase the entropy of your brain like that, you also greatly increase the chance for a dysfunction to happen. It is a lot like rapid growth of a business - you think that having a 1000% growth every year is good, but its not, as it introduces way too much shit to handle way too fast and you cannot adapt to it, leading to a lack of a capable administration and a bankruptcy. If you force your brain to think about that stuff for so long, the first thing that will happen is a long-term willpower exhaustion which will make you snap at some point and revert you into a NEETdom. If you don't give up then and keep going down the rabbit hole, you'll slowly start developing random neural errors, from minor mental illnesses to a full blown schizo, as you have basically been disrupting the entire chemical balance of your brain to force yourself to do that and deny yourself any pleasures while doing so. People also tend to amplify the negative effects by drinking a lot of coffee (high consumption of it during stress and exhaustion lead to the development of anxieties) or using Adderall (dopamine disruption, which leads to a serious depressive episode, and ultimately schizophrenia).

Instead, you should split those 8 hours into two hours of studying, two hours of unloading stress from your brain (fitness, meditation, lying and listening to music, whatever), two more hours of studying, and the rest of the day dedicated to rewarding yourself via TV, social life or games. The people who can handle such entropy spikes without going unstable are quite fucking rare and are called "geniuses" for exactly that reason, you're obviously not one of them and neither is anyone else reading this post. Don't try to be like them.

This post is golden. Thanks for the advice senpai.

Good advice, I'm geniuses though

Any studies or research done on that? I have never heard of rapid entropy of the brain for long amounts of time leading to neural errors or schizophrenia and I would be interested in learning more about it.

Also, how did you figure that out?

I BELIEVE THIS IS REAL

it's closely related to bi-polar and high neuroticism

this guy doesn't know shit that you're referencing but if you think about it, increased entropy of functional connectivity would naturally lead to dysfunction if the brains main purpose is decresing informational entropy in order to optimise interactions between an organism and its environment.

this sounds like rotational velocidensity bs

I took an accelerated Calculus II course over the summer. It was 5 weeks long.

Four times a week, we had a 4 hour lecture, then I went home and did problems/homework for 3-4 hours, with slightly more for the two midterms and the final, which was week 2, week 4 and week 5 respectively.

My class consisted almost entirely of techniques of integration and infinite series and sequences

I got an A, but I actually don't remember any of the integration techniques. I brushed up on some for my multivariable class, and it came back right away, but it does feel like the fast paced nature of the calculus 2 class hurt my long term retention.

This sounds like complete bunk. I don't believe in the whole dysfunction thing, because even if you do spend eight hours studying every day, then I'm sure you'll do something afterwards that will stimulate your brain in a different way.

With that being said, I do believe that it takes much longer to retain information, and if you spend eight hours per day on a subject, then you will certainly speed up your proficiency in that subject; however, you probably wouldn't be beating the normal college student's retention of the subject. This is because you'd need to review a topic more-so than the college student to amply retain the information on the same level.

Blasting through a subject by studying eight hours per day and not going through more review periods than someone who studies less than half of that amount of time per day puts you in a spot to forget the information that you studied.

And how do you work smart?

Don't be a brainlet.

No. What hurt your long term retention was not using the integration techniques on your own after the class was over.

Through calc 1? Calc 2? A semester of calculus?
I know people who have taken a semester of calculus over the summer (an 8 week course here) and they say that calculus was basically a full time job for them.
It's not easy user, but I believe in you.
You magnificent motherfucker.

try less to memorize things and think more about why they are true

Basic physics is full of real life calculus utility.

nice broscience

You can learn all calc 1 in one or two days tops

>what is a burnout?

Ask questions first.

>Basic physics

what kind of physics is considered "basic"

nope

A book like Serway, that would be used in three semesters of physics at many schools; mechanics - electricity & magnetism - waves light and whatever else you choose to cover.

about a month.

This literally happened to me after I did the 8 hours brain workout.

THIS

How about something like this:
>7-8: Get up and exercise.
>8-9: Breakfast, teeth and shower.
>9-10: Study mathematics.
>10-11: Study mathematics.
>11-12: Study mathematics.
>12-1: Lunch.
>1-2: Study mathematics.
>2-3: Study mathematics.
>3-4: Study mathematics.
>4-5: Study mathematics.
>5-6: Dinner.
>6-7: Study mathematics.
>7-8: Study any topic.
>8-9: Study any topic.
>9-10: Exercise and relax before bed.
>10-11: Brush teeth, shower and read light STEM book before getting to sleep.
>11-7: Sleep for eight hours.
>Rinse and repeat.
Thoughts, anons?

Interesting way to phrase it, I don't doubt any of the conclusions but I've never heard of entropy increases. Do you have any literature on the subject?

A breakdown of that would be:
>Hours in day: 24.
>Hours sleeping: 8.
>Hours awake: 16.
>Hours studying: 8/10.
>Hours doing biological needs: 6.
>Percentage of waking time spent studying: 50%-62.5%.
Good or bad?

It depends on how well you receive the material. Sure, you could probably cover the entirety of one of the intro calculus courses in around two weeks, but have you actually learned it to the point where you can use the concepts presented fluidly? Probably not.

I think there can't be any universal time period in which a specific mathematical discipline can be learned. It largely depends on how receptive the person is.

I remember reading about how humans typically lose focus after about 45 minutes, and following that time period, it becomes increasingly hard for us to devote our full attention towards whatever we've been focused on in those 45 minutes. After hearing about this, I've changed my study habits to studying a single topic or section for an hour at a time, taking a 30 minute or so break, and resuming for another hour, and I've found myself retaining information better than simply brute forcing it.

What's the human bit rate?

The info we take in can't be measured in that way. The 45 mins to an hour figure is right based on what I understand from a modern pedagogical perspective.

You study something that challenges you for an hour and you do this in bursts. You can spend multiple hours straight learning (studying etc) if uou have breaks where you devote your brain to something else for around 20-30 mins, or if you learn things that are unrelated and simultaneously interesting.

That's why in high school math and physics tend to be separated by literally any other class.

this is true, this man knows what he speaks.

I once learned two months straight for 8 hours a day, without rest. that shit fucks you up, to the point of not being able to sleep for days on end.

Add 1 more hour of sports, take 1 or 2 days off in a week to meet with friends, and maybe one hour off in the middle of the day.
Then you're good.

Either of these:
>11-12: Exercise.
>4-5: Study mathematics.
>7-8: Study any topic/mathematics.
>Rinse and repeat.
Or:
>11-12: Study mathematics.
>4-5: Exercise.
>7-8: Study any topic/mathematics.
>Rinse and repeat.
Thoughts, user?

If you haven't done this before, it's going to take time for your brain to build up the ability to work this much. It's like saying "what if I just ran 10 miles every day". You can't do that without at least some build up. Even if you dedicate lots of time every day, there's a limit to how much you can learn. This improves over time as you do more math and get smarter, but at first it's going to be rough.

If you want to spend as much time studying as possible, that's fine. Just be prepared for it to go slowly despite how much effort you put in at first. However, if you keep at it, you will get smarter, and it will go more quickly.

if you were cripplingly autistic enough to actually stick to a schedule that detailed you'd already be doing so

Probably some truth to this. When I finished that class, I didn't do any math at all for almost 4 weeks while I waited for classes to start up again. I just got my grade in from Multivariable Calculus though - got an A again. I want to do a little maths over the winter break, but not sure what I should look at.

This schedule is too tight for the realities of life and motivation. A much more "natural" schedule would be like

7-8: Get up, make coffee and light breakfast, mill around the house, use bathroom and wash, shit.
8-10: drive to gym, work out, shower, drive back home
10-11: prepare some food, coffee, organize study materials, review previous day's learning
11-13: Study maths
13-14: eat lunch
14-17: Study maths
17-1730: nap (it's 5pm, least productive time of day for many people, it's best spent napping)
1730-2100: study maths
2100-2200: late dinner
2200-2230:prepare for bed
2300: be asleep until morning

Still 8-9 hours of math study a day with a much less autistic schedule and "room" for some errands, working out and having a "slow start"

>If you were cripplingly autistic enough to actually stick to a schedule that detailed you'd already be doing so.
I am, I have clinically diagnosed Asperger's syndrome, however, I've fallen into a negative pattern over the last few years and wasted much of my time sleeping in the day.

The thing is, whilst I agree, I am trying to utterly revolutionise my autistic cycle and to do that I need to set very strict and rigid boundaries. Also, I'm trying to make up for the wasted time in which I've been nothing but a complacent fool.

Make sure your resources are good, don't use shit books or sites. Manage your time efficiently, set small goals (e.g: I'll do 3 sections this week). Also, try to really absorb the material. Don't speedread or waste your time rereading over and over again, just take notes, try to understand the concepts, recall things from memory regularly, and do practice exercises. Not the repetitive kind of practice exercises, exercises that actually make you think.

This sounds like bullshit to me. It's more along the lines that most people just wouldn't be able to put in 8 hours a day. They just won't.

aren't we all.

is this why Robert M. Pirsig ended up lying in a pool of his own piss for days after he studied quality for months straight? He went through electro-shock therapy after that.

wtf i hate studying now