Thoughts?

Thoughts?

ASS

I don't like it very much. Too boring.

It's not my cup of tea, but i respect its historical and cultural importance

I kind of liked it when I read it in high school but I've never felt like picking it up again since

I feel like I read this too late in my life to really enjoy it.

A lot greater than people here give it credit for. It's nice because it helps separate the faggots from those who actually know what they're talking about. See this thread, for example.

Probably the best American novel ever written

I have two copies and have read it multiple times. Although, my favorite Fitzgerald is The Beautiful and the Damned. Despite the edgy title.

The most pretentious hipster garbage every written. It bombed when it came out and only decades later did people suddenly start liking it, most likely to be ironic and obscure.

First paragraph = don't hate, just appreciate

what a dullard

no. but it is probably the second best novel ever written by F Scott Fitzgerald.

It's boring and the setting made me feel hot and sticky.

This is accurate.

so i better watch the movie ?

I haven't seen the movie, but the only pivotal and suspenseful parts of the book take place in hot, dusty areas where people are sweaty and tense. Overall an uncomfortable read.

i torrent the movie long time ago but never watch it because i was thinking on buying the book i guess i go for the movie and buy the book second hand from local webpage cheap from some random guy just to have it

overrated

I felt the same with herman hesse, pretty good though.

Daisy killed the whore on purpose, it wasn't an accident.

I got mega points on a class project in high school for proving she was a murderous bitch, and all the girls were protesting her innocence. So biased.

thought it was boring when I had to read it in high school, just faked my way through it. then I found an abandoned copy just after Veeky Forums started. this board used to like it, so I figured I'd give it another try and I ended up being quite taken with it.

Veeky Forums's still good compared to the rest of Veeky Forums, but it's gone steadily downhill, which explains all the underage faggots ITT talking shit about one of the better novels my nation ever produced.

the movie version with Redford and Dern was actually pretty interesting. Haven't seen the DiCaprio one yet.

I've somehow never read anything by Fitzgerald despite going through the murrican education system. Except that one story about an author named Finnegan or whatever, which was mildly amusing.

The style of Fitzgerald is captivating really, not much else to say about it that reading it wouldn't tell you. The characters and themes expressed I think still remain relevant to American culture today so it doesnt surprise me its read in so many high schools. I think Gatsby is a great example of a book with an okay story thats made amazing by its writing. Anytime I hear someone say
>The great gatsby was so boring
I have to think they didnt even read the book or they just sped through paying attention to only the plot and not the nuances of language and such so they could have an "American Classic" under their belt. His imagry=on point. One of my favorite examples of this;
>"Before I could reply that he was my neighbor dinner was announced; wedging his tense arm imperatively under mine, Tom Buchanan compelled me from the room as though he were moving a checker to another square."

Motherfucker, what the fuck is the Great Gatsby about? A bunch of rich black people falling in love and shit?

Let me tell you something cracker, a cracker don't want to read no book about rich people alling in love and shit

it will take you a few hours to read, you idiot. It's read in middle school in America, if that tells you something.

I read it twice in highschool, once for an assignment and once on my free time. It was pretty lit, until you understand that just because something is culturally significant, doesn't make it engaging or good. If you want a good novel in the same style, look up The Beautiful and The Damned.

The best novel on how to be a nu male megacuck.

>one of the better novels my nation ever produced

Good one user; may I refer you to the catalogue of Mister Clemens?

Hated it.

Not because I'm a contrarian and because it's popular or anything, it just really bored me.

>making shit up
there was never any indication she had any idea who Tom's whore was

I really enjoyed it, it was a little slow at some points, but i kind of identify with Gatsby and his desire to become cultured. This is actually my first time of Veeky Forums because I realized I've been neglecting my reading in regards to books of a more serious and philosophical nature. Also that first paragraph was god-tier.