Uni

Can we get a uni thread?

What university are you going to and what course are you doing?
How do you like it?

I go to UCLA, and I'm currently doing math major, trying to do the honors program there. I like it a lot, although my Analysis prof is pretty terrible, my Linear Algebra prof is a beast. I'm doing Complex Analysis Honors, Second Quarter Honors Real Analysis, and Second Quarter Linear. I'm enrolled in Differential Geometry but I heard the prof is a fuckwit, and the class is at 9am, so I'm probably gonna drop that one.

I've got a dilemna. I was planning to do the PhB program at ANU. It's a research degree and you basically get to work with people in Academia from the start.
However, I got a good enough score to get a full scholarship to Melbourne Uni. Melbourne is less appealing in that you're forced to do "breadth" courses similar to the American system. Can anyone at either of those two universities comment on what they're like?
I'm planning to do maths if that changes anything.

I go to Cornell for EE. So far everything is alright. I had a shitty chem class that I finally finished. Now I'm studying for my calc 3 final. I expect it to go fine after it's all said and done. I used to be in a shitty OO Java class but I dropped it because I didn't like the structure of that class at all.

Edinburgh uni. EE
It's kay

Clarkson University for AeroEng.
DON'T COME HERE.

I'm probably gonna get all As this semester. I don't have anyone else to tell this to but I'm proud of myself.

Good shit fampai
do it next semester too

Thanks man.

Fucking NERD!

Physics
Quantum Mechanics
Mechanics
Getting my ass kicked

Wait. Your take take mechanics AND QM at the same time? Are you retarded?

UBC
Math
Really enjoy it. Almost never go to class, just get to shitpost all day and waste my life

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on Physjcs with Astro at Manchester? Got an offer to go there next september.

It's not like I'm taking it for the first time, so no? But I am really dumb when it comes to QM, regardless.

If I can get a 66 on my physics and calc and 80 on my chem finals I'll have straight As but I hate it here

What school? Why do you hate it?

I am doing a very specific uni about wine and grapes, I am first and second year courses at the same time so I can get my degree in two years and half.

What I am doing so far (entry level biology, basic oenology, microbiology, some statistics, agro meteorology) is kinda boring but compared to my first degree (master's in chemistry) there is nothing I hate reading about. I don't really like the people though, don't get me wrong I had no problems and everyone is nice, there is no specific reason but I don't like them.

Just an unremarkable tech school. It's way up north so it's very cold up here, it's 70% men here, and it's situated in a small village. Nothing to do other than get drunk off your ass every night or go bowling. Also this place is the epitome of the dunning–kruger effect, everyone thinks they're smart because they're going to a b-list tech school. I went here because it was my cheapest option, and the academics are fine, but I really wish I went to a bigger school.

I'm looking at going to UCLA for medical school but I hear the town itself is poluted and violent. What do you think of it? And do you know anything about the medical program there?

Oh I see. I happen to love the cold but I can understand it being 70% men can fuck you up if you're a social guy.

University of Waterloo
Computer Science
It's aight.

Astro is a meme with no funds.

it's an amazing medical program, you just have to ask yourself if you want to live there.
I got into UCLA for undergrad, and while it was technically the "best" school I got in to, I chose to go elsewhere. YMMV.

This will sound ridiculous and meme tier to anyone who is reading it.

But I do two degrees at once through two different universities. One is a full time in Computer Science and Math, with minors in Latin and Greek. The other is Military Science and History at another University, doing a few papers by distance.

It seems a little weird, and it is a long story. But I seriously enjoy it and want to conjoint them together one day.

Georgia Tech. Computer Science. I like it

A lot of people tell me that Georgia Tech is shit tier because of no women and they try to fail you.

I hope you're not paying double tuition.

University of Washington

Biochemistry

The competition here is so retardedly cutthroat. Jesus Christ, but it's kind of a nice atmosphere.

You can meet women outside of school .

Texas State University

- Majoring in physics, double minoring in math and CS
- God, i hate it here. worst physics program ever. i only came here because UT' and A&M deadlines was past and Texas Tech was too far.
- forgot what i'm taking next semester. but its mostly CS and 1 physics course.
- hate hate hate hate, this is my third year and i'm not sure what to do or even what to do with my major....

I'm actually shit socially so I'm genuinely curious. How?

WHY ARENT YOU STUDYING

me because my teacher never really taught, and i've kinda accepted failing. I only have 3 finals left
- CS (intor) which I know i'll pass
- Linear Algebra which i have time for
- Physics ( heat and waves )

what about you?

I'm just a Freshman but, 5/7 finals are done and BIOL 1 is tomorrow and CHEM 2 is Tuesday. I'm glazing over my notes in between shitposts.

yea, kinda just watching review vids for linear
dont fail

Wrapping up a Master's degree in genetics at Pitt.

I'm trying to choose between the molecular biology programs and genetics programs in Chicago and Duke, respectively, for my doctorate. Does anyone have experience with these two programs?

I can't but, I'm at risk of losing an A if I do badly enough in both. Life was so much less stressful when I didn't try.

aint that the truth. do you get some little cheat sheet?

That would be nice but, nope. The most we get on the chem exam is the table and some formulas. The worst part is that it's entirely multiple choice.

Considering transferring to Georgia Tech for Aerospace Engineering. I have a 3.9 CGPA and 2000 SAT. Can I/should I do it?

Dunno bout astro but physics at manchester is pretty good

>Wayne State University
State school in Michigan that none of you have probably heard of. Decently big research school in Michigan and known for it's medical program.
>Mostly a commuter school, but I live on campus where there is a pretty tight-knit community.
>Freshman majoring in "pre"-ChemE
>Not very sure of quality of Engineering program yet
>currently wrapping up first semester (definitely will land 3.5-4.0 depending on how Calc II final goes)

>Chem program is supposed to be decent and felt like my Orgo I professor did a pretty good job with the course

Considering transferring after next semester depending on how it goes. Not sure how worth transferring to U of M/ MSU / MTU would be in the grand scheme as long as I can find internships.

That's extremely similiar to how my Mom described Michigan Tech when she went there for her undergrad.

any yall here?

RPI by chance??

Nice scores brah

I do commerce at Melbourne, can't really comment on the Science of it but the campus is really nice. Really close to the cbd as well so you're close to everything.

I dunno about ANU but I'm fairly sure Melbourne is the most prestigious in the country (especially in regards to research) so if you've got a full scholarship i'd go there.

Nope, didn't get in there. My HS grades were trash. I'm that Clarkson faggot that posted above.

I imagine it's a fairly common issue

Here, I really like the area surrounding UCLA - it's pretty lively, with a decent variety of food. Furthermore UCLA was just voted into having the best food in the nation for a University, which I could see; the food in the dining halls are very good. The town is LA, so it's very polluted, but when you're on campus there's plenty of trees so the air feels relatively fresh.

The only thing I know about the medical program here is that it's hard as fuck, and the students are very competitive.

Just realised ANU offers a scholarship too. I think I'll go there.
Lots of people describe Melbourne to me as a bit impersonal and oldfashioned.

>oxford
>yall
pick one

University of Houston
Geophysics
minor in Math
>Best geophysics program in the world... niggers

*yale

Which types of dishes does the cafeteria serve?

some shitty college in Texas
I hate what I study so it doesn't really matter

Toronto
EE

1st year has been shit, but if I can maintain a decent GPA, I can enroll in some god tier grad school courses like Operating Systems and Inference Algorithms that CS monkeys can't.

Vienna, Math

Source?

math, Vienna, again
kek, same here, first semester seems like a joke xD
They do have one class for all the swag kids, 'the art of problem-solving'. Actually learned some shit there

Any grad students here?

I'm in my first semester of a theoretical physics phd. Browsing grad school forums, it looks like most grad students do insane amounts of work, and that has me worried. So far my degree takes about 10 hours a week on average -- 3 hours each to read the book and do the homework for my 3 classes (I don't bother attending lecture, just exams), and 1 hour to do my TA duties (grading homeworks). I have office hours, but nobody shows up and I just work on homework then.

Seems like a really easy 30k/yr. I've even started tutoring 5 hours a week and my yearly income now comes out to 40k for 15hr/wk. Does it actually get worse? It seems like most people who complain online are in humanities or they do experimental work. Can't seem to find opinions of theoretical physics people (every other student at this school hates theory and loves experimental, so I can't get an answer here)

Mid Sized east German city no body knows
Computer Science

why am i doing it
it would be so much easier just to die

Kent
Chem
Board out of my fucking mind

Because I'm done.

Had my last final friday night. I'm at UCSD. Chemistry major at the moment, but I want to switch to Mathematics/Applied Science.

I took Orgo I with the campus harder professor (my friend who finished ochem said that his Orgo I class is harder than the honors Orgo II and III class, and with test averages hovering around 35%, I believe it.) I finished with a 51% in his class, with the standard deviation above being 60%. He says he curves up, so I'm hoping I get like a B or B+. FUCK that class was hard.

Also took Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus. Multivariable I did well in with perfect scores both midterms and an 88% on the final.

Linear... was really hard. I got a 90 on the first midterm, a 62% on both the second midterm and the final. It was ENTIRELY a proof based course. The first midterm was just a fucking trick. We did no calculations beyond that midterm.

Worried about my grade in that class. I'm kind of a brainlet.

I went to trade school to be a Welder. Now that I have my Journeyman ticket, i'm taking Power Engineering by distance education. The school is SAIT, and so far it's alright. I hate math and the first part is pretty much all math.

hate will bring you nowhere young padawan.

I'm learning, my friend. So far i'm just taking my time understanding the definitions and the basic examples of each part. I guess it's kind of cool how I was pretty much mathmatecally retarded , but now am understanding a bit more every day. A bunch of the units are math based, so I kind of have no choice but to learn to like it.

UCLA.
Neuroscience.

First 2 years is basically same as any other Life Science major. Intro Chem, Biology, Physics, etc.

UT Austin - Bio/Pre-med/faggot

Found a program at my school to get my Math Master's in four years, so I'm doing that and a extra German major because languages are fun.

It's a University of Alabama...
I fucking hate football.

UW here too
Neurobiology

Tell me a fucking bout it.
They think they're Ivy League or something.

Who is this semen demon?

Any of you memers go to MIT? I'm gonna attend winter school there from new year

They have their own OS course and better ML course than the shitty ECE one.

ETHZ, CS, shitton work but i like it

Yah, second year chemboii. Life is bretty gud so far. the organic is painful as hell tho

Jelly. What were your qualifications to get in? Masters or bachelors? How do you finance it?

Lund university
Analysis in one variable and python brogramming

Praise feridun, Mr. Goose and paninos for disruptive learningp

currently finishing BSc, i had a decent high school diploma ~top 5-10% of class. Financing is pretty easy - living in student housing, and salaries for even the shittiest jobs are crazy here, coding pays off a lot

Probably nobody know this uni, right ?

I've had teachers like this, if they don't teach they usually hand out B's at the end of the semester so no one reports them.

>going to wayne
>for engineering
LMAO
Transfer into MSU if you can. U of M isn't worth it for undergrad, but I would consider going there for your masters if you want one.

t. MSU engineering student

anyone from strathclyde here?

if so

fuck off?

University of Cambridge. Natural Sciences.

im RP speaking british irl fa'm.

why does memebridge memes so shit?

I'm in the same boat, user. Coming back to school after I stopped due to lack of motivation and direction. First semester back and all A's!

Rutgers

Physics

Pretty good, although I'm first year so classes are babby-tier.

my favourite part is the shame of not getting into an ivy because of how badly I fucked up highschool. who else /scarletletter/ here?

Are you going into research? I'm planning on changing my major to Biochemistry/Biophysics.

I hear its hard to get a job unless you have at least a Masters and experience. I'm mostly worried about gaining lab experience, is it possible to do so while working on a bachelors if you get to know the professors in 3rd/4th year?

>tfw I used to make fun of the redhead on your womens rugby team at secondary school

>tfw she is more successful than me even though she was more tryhard than intelligent.

Hope she's learned how to cut loose desu.

at community right now and will be transferring to UTEP because its the only place in my shit area thats accredited and I don't want to drown in student loans. would apply to do my masters somewhere better probably

There isn't any shame to going to literally any Northeastern State School's main campus for undergrad (for New York consider the University Centers to be main campus) except Rhode Island, Maine, and maybe New Hampshire

>it's very cold up here, it's 70% men here, and it's situated in a small village. Nothing to do other than get drunk off your ass every night or go bowling. Also this place is the epitome of the dunning–kruger effect, everyone thinks they're smart because they're going to a b-list tech school.

holy fuck you just described this place.

>maybe New Hampshire
I got into all the UMass's and UVM but my parents couldn't afford the out-of-state tuition please end my life

>it's 70% men here
My school is about 95% guys, it's not that rare

University of Cincinnati for my PhD in physics
Particles and fields II
Quantum Mechanics II
Statistical Mechanics

I like the department but shits hard.

Universität Göttingen

Doing my master's degree in math. I'm interested in PDE and stochastic processes. Lectures are pretty good, but most knowledge I gain from self-study.

A bunch of schools fit the description of 70% male, cold, tech school that aren't good outside their region. As examples in the format of school-city-region it is useful in:
RPI-Troy-Mid-Atlanric
WPI-Worcester-New England
Colorado School of Mines-no clue-Rockies
And many more, Georgia Tech might fall into this category but they have a bit more fame, a bit of a role model for the rest.

You should have oppurtunities in New Hampshire, just don't sit on your ass and visit the career office and shit.

Any chemfags here want to tell me what some schools with good chemistry programs that aren't ridiculously overcrowded and cut-throat? I'm in CC right now and I have probably around 3-5 months before I have to start applying to places. Pic related is the list of all the schools I'm applying to, what do you think?