Literature in universities

I recently posted about how there is some serious bullshit going on in my English literature course in Sweden and got called out as a liar.

Here is an excerpt from my A-course schedule in English Literature.

"You should also become aware of some of the most well known critical approaches to literature, such as feminist criticism. Marxist criticism and postcolonial criticism. You will find short descriptions of some approaches in the compendium."

So now my question, is there any serious literature courses that focus on actual ENGLISH literature such as Shakespeare? The shit we read now is "postcolonial poetry" where we have to review "poetry" such as "Colonization in reverse" by Louise Bennet. And i feel like i am going to throw up.

SWEDEN YES

I got a stem degree because it's almost impossible to politicize and provides job opportunities. I study literature on my own time so I can do it the way I want. I can hold my own in discussions with my friends that are taking lit degrees.

>some serious bullshit going on
>short descriptions of some approaches

wear a tinfoil hat, they'll never get to you then.

There are numerous classes dedicated to Shakespeare alone. Make it past sophomore year and you might get to take them.

every single book we read is "postcolonial" literature that focuses on the evil whites and how they are oppressing the poor black people. There is not a single piece of literature from england, its all from africa. This is just from the introduction, further into the compendium there is half a page for each "critical" approach, talking about how the white european is the standard and thus oppresses "the other" Every one of them talks about british occupation, not actual literature.

i am just going to take the basic 30 points course until december. I just didnt think it would be this bad.

Vilket universitet och vilken kurs/delkurs?

Doesn't sound that bad. Quit being a baby

Umeå Engelska A 30 poäng. I am seriously considering jumping off the literature course since its such a pile of shit. The rest is "decent" though.

post your reading list?

Sula by toni morrison, "postcolonial poetry"/Colonization in reverse,Telephone conversation, The fat black woman goes shopping
The remains of the day
The god of small things
Woza Albert
In the skin of a lion.

Nigga just write feminist critiques of actually good stuff like Hamlet and Macbeth where there is actually some worthwhile stuff to talk about.
Also Toni Morrison is good.

>talking about how the white european is the standard

I'm pretty left-leaning politically, but I unironically consider European culture superior to every other culture in the world.

Tsk tsk OP. Should've hopped across the pond to the US. While we have somewhat embraced the meme, it isn't as dire as what you're describing. Perhaps this is only a first year indoctrination and then you're allowed to take the classes you want?

i believe the cause of this is becaus the university has a historical connection to the russian symphatisers of old. The city is also chock full of communists. But it is exclusive to the humaniora and liberal arts, the scientific and practical courses dont have this infection. I was just hoping that someone would have some advice, if there is some way to read a similar course but without all this drivel? i dont want to ask the teacher for fear i will get an automatic failed grade for opposing their practices.

>a calm head on Veeky Forums

well that wont be possible, we have to use the marxist/feminist/postcolonial criticism for a couple of short stories made by some Ngozi adichie and a bunch of other nobodies.
Atleast it isnt for every single moment in the course, i would have gone insane.

meant to reply to

It's just an overview/introduction course then, no specializations or anything like that? If so, it's a bit strange to focus on postcolonial, feminist and Marxist criticism, that's usually the purview of electives (postcolonial literature, anyway).

If the entirety of your first-year course is this that's retarded. First year English lit course should cover ENGLISH lit say Chaucer through Hemingway, some American, intro to poetry and drama, some classical, etc. I don't know if it's the school or you just got unlucky this year with weird professors / faculty pushing new shit, but something's wrong.

Varför är jag inte förvånad att någon som bara kunde komma in i Umeå börjar grina och gnälla på nätet så fort hans specifika krav på en literaturkurs inte omedelbart och till punkt och pricka uppfylls?

Britbong here, we study Shakespeare in primary school (kindergarten). Enough said.

Sula's damn good though, the Shadrack sections are based, the novel has some interesting cyclical theming. Remains of the Day is good. Honestly you're just being a baby, feel free to judge them only after you've read them for yourself.

Also Remains of the Day is an English book about English people you big dummy.

Snibity snab jackpot.

My path exactly. Reading books are free.

I've been plagued by this feeling for a while... what exactly distinguishes this conception from nordicism? Isn't it just white supremacy?

>You should also become aware of some of the most well known critical approaches to literature
Isn't that pretty obvious? You don't study literature to talk about how totes awesome Hamlet was or how you liked the bit where the dude got impaled.

>Isn't it just white supremacy?
Only if you go full /pol/ and attribute it to genetic superiority.

Mind you if you try talking about 'European culture' you're bound to end up making hilariously broad generalisations.

Just read on your own, man. Honestly. I learned more from Veeky Forums than from a semester of classes at the top ranked university for English in the US

Deutschland Über Alles!

I'm In America and we literally learn the exact same shit. It's called liberal arts for a reason

>still shilling morrison

hack author. least deserving nobel laureate ever.

>top ranked university for English

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You mean your community college?

Lol the classics courses are that way dumbass

>serious bullshit going on
>typical continental philosophy and criticism survey course
Great thread OP.

My introduction course focused on theory before I took my survey courses. Also Hemingway isn't English you mongoloid.

English major in France here

OP, if you're taking a class on Literary criticism, it is absolutely normal and not shocking in the least that you should study schools including feminism, Marxism, post colonialism cultural studies and whatnot.

What would be worth complaining is having a course only about those schools in particular,especially in an introductory course. I'm sure you also talked about classicism medieval theory neoclassicism etc. If you haven't, you have every right to be angry.

But something tells me you're just being a fag

so what's the actual problem?

>he doesn't know about the time the committee awarded themselves the nobel prize

OP is in an introductory course

No way they're hitting neoclassical theory or anything up that alley

Why are you upset about that? Isn't that class essentially letting you criticize stupid shit like feminism and Marxism without persecution from SJW's?

>he never actually read the works in question

Why? How are you supposed to understand the history of literary criticism if you don't start from the beginning? I'm not saying they should delve into each school thoroughly but they should at least have an idea of the main precepts, the main critics etc

Something like the introduction in the Norton anthology of literary criticism (which is a very good summary IMO)

There's a bunch of colonization and postcolonization themes tho...

I actually had to read it in my postcolonial lit class

>It's almost impossible to politicize
You've never worked for any city, state, or government agency have you?

Top fucking lel

I'm sure there's something interesting to learn from those schools of thought even if they are politically unpleasant. You should really only be concerned if they're using the class to try and teach you empathy.

Neoclassicism was a poison concocted by Boileau to cripple European literature for over a century until Goethe thankfully rediscovered Shakespeare. Almost the entirely of the 18th century is a black hole so far as literature is concerned thanks to the efforts of your Parisienne countrymen in shackling the written word to some arbitrary shit Horace had written 2000 years ago. Fuck neoclassicism.

I don't disagree.
Still, it's important to know what neoclassicism on order to shit on it afterwards like you just did, wouldn't you agree?
That was the only point I was making