Is sicp a meme?

or should i just go straight into a c++ book

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0262529629/ref=nosim/mitopencourse-20
ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00sc-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/Syllabus/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

code monkey = just start with any language
computer scientist = that book and any language

Lisp is the patrician language par excellence.
C++ is retarded gobbledygook made to satisfy the needs of dumb computer architectures.
Choose wisely.

Lisp is a meme.

Good if you want to focus on the theory of programming, as opposed to the more common applied side.

But if you're already thinking of picking up C++ then I'd suggest you do that instead, pausing to read SICP whenever you start feeling like a code monkey who doesn't understand what he's doing.

And yes, it is a meme.

That's because most programmers are brainlets.

It teaches you to think about how programs are put together and why they work. That's never a bad thing.

It's a good book but it's a leasurely read compared to mathematics or real science (physics)

well i mean im a math major and i thought i should probably either take some cs courses or learn shit on the side to keep my options open. given that would you say it would be worthwhile?

Learn Haskell

Any language. CS is generally not worthwhile MIT level stuff. The "hardest" math they teach in CS is discrete math, and that's if you're lucky enough to go to a good uni.

I do all my math in C, it's as close as it gets to most discrete math pseudocode examples and I don't find fiddling with lambda calculus based languages more rewarding. To each his own, though.

I would recommend learning Java, take Data Structures & Algorithms, Automata Theory.

Secondarily learn Python and take a Statistics & Probability course.

Also, don't listen to , he's an idiot.

Math in CS s generally graph theory, combinatorics, probability & statistics, logic (actual logic BEYOND easy intro logic), calculus i-iii, and lots and lots of linear algebra...

I am a pure math major with an interest in CS.

Is this a troll post?

Why do you think it is a troll? No

thanks

np

also any reason java over c++

If you study CS you'll be exposed to different languages. Languages aren't nearly important as concepts.

I recommended Java because it's everywhere and teaches good OOP standards. You could just as easily pick up a functional programming language, or something very simple like Python.

Whenever you study Data Structures a lot of sources use Java for implementation details (but most textbook use pseudocode) -- by learning Java you'll remove the barrier of the programming language whenever you come across those implementation details...

Basically reason I recommended Java is because DS implementations for it is easy to find and it is a common language, but you could use anything you want.

i c thanks for the help

If you feel the need to point out you're a pure math major then you're either trolling or trying to validate your opinion.

People have misconceptions about "math in cs". I studied pure math (which utilizes mathematics not in-scope with my CS studies...) and I am clarifying that the containment of CS as undergraduate studies is not purely within "discrete math", i.e., very, very rudimentary introductions.

A good CS program has a shit load of theorems and proofs and utilize mathematics from upper division and graduate level math courses. The kind of courses where you don't NEED a computer to implement programs, but use mathematics to prove a bunch of shit where ""computer science""" is some excuse for "applications" that people 'care about'.

MAKI A SLUT

You are entitled to your own opinions, but they are in fact shit and you should feel bad for enticing others to make the same poor choices you have done.

How are they shit?

I'm using C as well.

The fuck is a brainlet

It's a shallow overview of CS for high school students.

If you're an adult that values his time, you should just jump into the real textbooks on the material.

>real textbooks on the material.
Which are?

>Used for introductory EE/CS MIT course
>high school

They switched to Python a few years ago. What a shame.

Just learn the stuff on your own.
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

He recommends java and think discrete math is a thorough course on graph theory, combinatorics, probability & statistics, and logic. Of course it is.

>because DS implementations for it is easy to find

In a real DS course you should be implementing them YOURSELF. If you understand the data structures and algorithms, all you need for reference is pseudocode.

Also Java is a terrible language and has no improvements to C++.

>A good CS program has a shit load of theorems and proofs and utilize mathematics from upper division and graduate level math courses

Show me a "good CS" program that requires graduate level math courses

Freshman college courses are high school level.

k

Meme in what way?
it is a really good book, not a necessity to learn it to be a good programmer but I really recommend it since I had a lot of fun.

>Whenever you study Data Structures a lot of sources use Java for implementation details

>use java

Never seen it,
they usually use C or C++.
Java is actually a very bad language to demonstrate data structures, even haskell which is a very hight level language is better.

Java lacks a lot of things and their lambda expressions are cryptic as fuck and writing things recursively in java looks very weird.

okay ive settled on sicp then c++ primer thanks for the LiVeLy DiScUsSiOn

your opinions are swayed by people that don't fully understand CS. good luck

What happened with SICP VN project?

Or most programmers need to know computer languages that are most utilized in the field.

Lisp is one of those autist-approved languages for the programmers who called programming their hobby as well as their job, and only pick it up for the challenge.

The new book is actually more impressive than scip
amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0262529629/ref=nosim/mitopencourse-20

what is this?

The new intro to programming book at MIT: ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00sc-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/Syllabus/

> cannot associate context and usage to derive meaning

newerthanmefag

>doubt.jpg

>Or most programmers need to know computer languages that are most utilized in the field.

And these languages are popular because most programmers can't understand the brilliance of Lisp.
Fucking brainlets, REEEEEEEEEE

>teaches good OOP standards
>by forcing you to use OOP
No. Just no. That is not what a good OOP is.

>In a real DS course you should be implementing them YOURSELF
Jesus fuck. In college my prof demanded that we implement in pure C every damn data structure he talked about in his lectures, which took about 400-500 sheets of paper to print. And to write a benchmark for comparing them on top of that.
Really learned to code thanks to him after that though.

No it isn't

Well I'm gonna go through a C++ book and do accompanying youtube videos. I made a thread about it 3 days ago. Jump on board.