Novels with great art

today i discovered, became enraptured and impulse bought a copy of Bram Stokers Dracula with Illustrations throughout by Becky Cloonan and realized I really REALLY want more books in this style but have been having trouble finding anything online that isnt a graphic novel. I will drop a bunch of images as reference to what I mean but basically I'd love to hear about and discover great books with great art that aren't comics.

probably should have dropped the cover as the first image.

those are all i have from the book itself, so here's some cool dracula art i found today

Why don't you want a comic? Prince Valiant (the old ones by Hal Foster), Tarzan (Brune Hogarth) and Sharaz-De (Sergio Toppi) have spectacular art. In fact, the first two are practically text+ illustration, with no word balloons. Look them up on google.

If you really don't want comics, I can only recommend the meme of book illustrations, Gustave Doré, who illustrated Don Quijote, Paradise Lost, Bible, Divine Comedy etc.

although it looks cool i feel that the images of the characters that you form in your mind while reading a book differ greatly from the images that go along with it in a book like you mentioned.
For that reason i don't think it adds anything, it rather makes the experience worse.

I like the illustrations of The Comedia

Lord Dunsany wrote fantasy stories illustrated by Sidney Sime. You might like them if you can track them down. Pic related from The Gods Of Pegana.

The original illustrations for the Alice books are nice af.

here's one more. the text is in pdf form on archive.org because it's public domain

I think you should keep literature and art separate. They both have their own merits.
I'm an artist myself and can drop some names.
Look into the golden age of illustration, Mead schaffer (pic related), leyendecker, N.C. Wyeth etc.
Frazetta and Jeff Jones are painters from the 20th century.
Rembrant has great etchings. Rodin is a great sculptor. Of course the old masters work too.(MIchelangelo, Da vinci etc.)
Sargeant is the go-to draw-what-you-see artist.
The pics you posted dont really have any real artistic merit.

>who is george cruikshank

What a pinhead

sorry, I judge art by how good it is, not by how popular it was.

your idea that literature and art should be separated is silly enough that I thought you were baitposting

To put it in other words I was naming artists that are important to art, not artists that relate to literature.
Why is it silly? Art (painting) is a visual represantation of a scene. Literature is a idea expressed in words. They are completely different. Atleast thats how I see it.

It's silly because if visual art and literature were not allowed to meet, then there would be no Cruikshank, or Sidney Sime, or William Blake, or any volume with line drawings or even covers. These things can complement and enhance literature.

You have a reductive attitude, so it is a wonder that you say you are an artist.

Illustration in books then is a visual represantation of text, which is often there to aid the text. Of course these can be good too (moomin illustrations are pretty comfy), but if OP really wants to dwelve into great art he has to look outside book illustration.
Sorry my point came out pretty rough in the first post

I have the comics I know and love and am capable of finding more comics easily. This particular style is a bit more niche.
your opinion, i adore the novel dracula and every image i found of the art within the book portrays the characters and tone in a unique way that actually is representative of how i envisioned them, hence the love.

>I think you should keep literature and art separate
By art do you just mean visual art? Because literature itself is an art.

To say something doesnt have artistic merit, pull your head out of your ass mate. The art conveys a tone. I like the art style and like the idea of reading the book and having some colour and art to on the page to accentuate what is happening with the words. Your very black and white thought processes do not come across as artistic at all. You sound pretentious. Having said so, thank you for your suggestions, I'll look them up.

I love books with good cover artwork. I'm more inten

Frankenstein with illustrations by Berni Wrightson. He's as strong a draughtsman as Cloonan is weak.

Also, pick up Metropolis with Kaluta illos, and Thief of Baghdad with P. Craig Russell illos, and I have a bunch more that I can't think of offhand.

i'm glad to see i have started a renaissance of name posters for this board. maybe we will see a return to the quality of the past. but i recommend you utilize a tripcode, celestialsalmon, or else you will have people impersonating you in an attempt to defame your character

nooooooooooooooooooooo!

my weakness, it is... being... exploited

no one else post as me or you're in for a world of hurt, i know moot, I have his email

stop trying to impersonate me! that's why I switched to a secure tripcode, so people like you couldn't try and make me look like a fool

Moot doesn't own the site any more. It now belongs to Hiroyuki Nishimura, who created 2channel

Bump for interest. I've actually been wanting to publish a novel with art like this. I have the English translated Guin Saga novels (the few that exist) and they feature the occasional full-page black and white illustrations that I really appreciate.

Personally, I think impressionistic illustrations throughout a book adds a lot to it. It's more enjoyable than a straight up comic book in some ways.

What book