This beautiful six-volume edition of The Bible is coming out soon

This beautiful six-volume edition of The Bible is coming out soon.

But is the ESV a good translation?

>inb4 kjv or bust

Other urls found in this thread:

crossway.org/bibles/esv-readers-bible-six-volume-set-cob/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Read the fucking KJV

>Unacceptable for Serious Bible Study:

>The following translations have serious shortcomings of various sorts:

>1) The King James Version (KJV) or The New King James Version (NKJV). The KJV was a great literal translation in its day, but that day was the 17th century! Many earlier and more accurate biblical manuscripts were discovered afterwards and most modern translations—including those produced by very conservative Christians—are based on them. The NKJV updates some of the 17th century language, and I like its literalness, but most of the time it relies on the same late and less accurate manuscripts that were available to the KJV translators in the 17th century.

>Serious Bible Study
What if I just want the most beautiful version?

>ESV
no. KJV & ASMR, although ESV is plenty readable it isn't the best academic nor literary nor transliteration of the original text. It's also a very pretty set.
but how the fuck they managed six volumes of that scale is beyond me, are they annotated?

Then learn Hebrew and Koine Greek

2 lazy

>very conservative Christians
>teehee I distorted it to suit my ideology

Then you go with KJV. New Oxford Annotated Bible (NRSV) for study and KJV if you just want to enjoy the beauty.

The ESV is an amazing translation. And the set looks even better. Do you have a link?
Disregard anything anyone said against it.

what does it got over other translations?

crossway.org/bibles/esv-readers-bible-six-volume-set-cob/

>Retail Price: $199.99

That's too expensive of a price for my soul's eternal salvation

Just read the NIV like a normal person

Amazon's got it for $115.

>Unacceptable for Serious Bible Study:

>The following translations have serious shortcomings of various sorts:

>2) The New International Version (NIV). The NIV was the first moderately "dynamic" translation to achieve immense popularity, especially among Evangelicals. It has its merits, but the departure from literal translation theory allowed some phrases and sentences of the Hebrew and Greek to be more paraphrased than translated. This contributed to several inaccurate and misleading translations. Dissatisfaction with the NIV among some fundamentalist and other very conservative Christian scholars was one of the reasons they brought out the ESV (see above).

Or just read it in greek
you are chasing an infinite thing

>caring about the most accurate manuscript as though you're going to become a biblical scholar
>thinking that updated language is a good thing

w e w

Read the New Revised Standard Version if you want the best modern translation of what was actually written originally, with the best base of first hand materials and importantly the dead sea scrolls.

Read the KJV if you care about how Europeans who had an inaccurate translation interpreted Christianity.

The ESV is fine. Not mindblowing or anything. Robert Alter and Everett Fox are better translators of the Tanakh, and Richmond Lattimore's translation of the New Testament is a better rendering.

Fine for a committee translation.

The vast amount of Bible variations are well translated and generally speaking use the same source. Avoid those which try to be modern for the sake of it and you'll be fine.

NKJV uses everything you said the NSRV does.

>implying that the KJV isn't just an update for 17th century English speakers
Did people just forget this? Why is ye olde use of language and their specific interpretation better than anyone else's?

pic related

>The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this work are fictitious. No identification with actual persons, places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.

>reading anything but KJV
Let me guess, you actually believe in God too

le redsit trool army

Then get the Wycliffe Bible

I admire your persistence.

Thank you

it honestly is the most beautiful thing I've ever read. Haven't finished yet though

I want to get my dad a nice bible set/leatherbound for christmas, anything you guys can recommend for around 100 ameribucks?

ESV is pretty based

NKJV master race here though

No Tobit, no buy.

Look up the Bibliotheca edition, also about to come out.

Lattimore's NT isn't just a meme, though. I was reading the first volume of Steven Moore's history of the novel yesterday and he happens to mention it and says that Lattimore "deservedly won widespread praise" for it (111n117).