Considering confederacy of dunces isn't funny, are there any books that actually are?

Considering confederacy of dunces isn't funny, are there any books that actually are?

Hunger by Knut Hamsun

Ulysses

Twelve Chairs.
>the scene where he pretends to be a chess grandmaster and gives a simul and the opponents first think his blunders are brilliant sacrifices and get scared

Essays and Aphorisms by Schopenhauer

Vonnegut is funny. Read Breakfast of Champions.

The Third Policeman, too.

Second that.

I laughed a few times and it was entertaining, but what do you want? A book that makes you laugh like an idiot?

I found if on a winters night a traveller and Ulysses pretty funny. Ulysses humor is divided though. Some chapters being very funny and others with no humor at all.

the disaster artist

Three Men in a Boat

this

that scene with the old man at the park was reddit gold

No, it's Plebbit trash.

>look at this picture of an asshole guyz, durrhurr

OP, American Psycho. Hilarious. (Not being edgy, it has a lot of comedic scenes.) Also look into Sinclair Lewis; Babbit is classic satire.

>calls someone plebbit
>likes american psycho
lmao okay

Plebbit only watches the movie and argues about whether "it was all in his head or not" (irrelevant)

Plebbit (you) reads the book and enjoys it.

Catch-22 is full of excellent humor and it doesn't beat you over the head with it.

Suttree

Reddit loves Twin Peaks too. Has a whole forum for it and everything.

>Has a whole forum for it and everything

Not really saying much considering I can find a board about the most obscure fetish on there

>Babbit is classic satire.
Babbitt is pleb tier Sinclair Lewis, my dude. Try Elmer Gantry

Well then it also says nothing about Vonnegut, who's been a big deal in lit since the 60's.

Already did. It's far inferior and one-note, though like all of Lewis's books is interesting for its depiction of a particular subculture.

Vonnegut hasn't been a big deal among anyone but college students. It's not like he's part of the canon.

I rarely laugh out loud when reading but each Shakespeare play I've read is good for at least one good lol.

Catch-22 is funny.

I think humour and lit are really mismatched. TV or anything audio based will always be superior in garnering actual heard laughter.

that would be pretty cool actually, without sacrificing any credibility

Cold Comfort Farm. You might need to be familiar Brit lit, tho

your diary desu

If you like Babbitt, I would recommend Heller's Something Happened. It is similar thematically to Babbitt, with the style of Catch-22, only much more well-crafted and less tacky.

The Dog of the South
Modern Baptists
End as a Man

Interesting, thanks for the rec. Maybe I'll pick it up.

No one from that generation is in the canon yet. It's still too recent. But all his works are still in print, even his journeyman shit. That puts him in a class with Pynchon, Roth, Morrison, Irving, DeLillo etc. All huge names.

american psycho is the only book that's ever made me laugh out loud. the scene with the nigger poem

>the literal worst Vonnegut book

It reads like self-parody

Just read Bukowski's post office and it was pretty fucking funny. I've never seen an author manage to make a rape scene funny before, but now here I am.

I've seen you post this before, user. I'll check them out. Thanks for the unique recs.

Read this about a month ago, was pretty funny and comfy. Also second Catch-22, and I think Confederacy of Dunces is hilarious. Zadie Smith can be pretty funny too.

>far inferior [to Babbitt]
Sinclair Lewis is my favorite author, and Babbitt is probably my least favorite of his books.

It's also mind-numblingly mundane. That thing is much harder for me to get through than it should be.
It also convinces me that my friends all hate me.

This.

Also The Sot Weed Factor.

Don Quixote
Journey to the End of the Night

The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace by Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden's lead singer).

I actually L O L'd reading The Canterbury Tales

I also had feels

That really surprises me; Babbitt is what got me into Lewis.

For me, of what I've read, it's Babbitt > Main Street > Elmer Gantry