I'm finding this difficult to read. When does story begin to happen?

I'm finding this difficult to read. When does story begin to happen?

I'm about 258 pages through and it feels like nothing's happening

I love DFW's short fiction and Essays but this is just

You just gotta feel the jest

>but this is just
Actually, this is jest.

I kinda hope you're the guy who kept posting pics of the hardcover copy he got in the mail recently. But either way, you're experiencing the story right now. Which I know sounds vague and lame, but it starts to come together. Just recognize names and things as characters shift about the city. It's fun. And certain characters do "come together."

I'm not that guy but I did purchase both a hardcover and softcover version one to make notes in and one to have

It starts to get good around 600 pages, I promise.

>implying first 600 pages aren't good
it's just turboplebs who read for the plot and have no attention span that keep asking about any possible action taking place just so they get ''hooked'' or whatever terms they use

all the 1079 pages are great.

>It's fun

Lol. Just read S/Z and Mytholgies. I love that fucker.

Dang.

I'm about 600 pages in, and I can't really sense any story developing. The characters are starting to tie together a little bit, but it doesn't exactly seem like a plot-driven book. It's well-written, humorous at times and sad at others, but the whole thing does feel a bit pointless.

The whole thing's been enjoyable so far (around p. 710 currently) but I don't think anything's beaten the Eschaton part.

Maybe Mario's puppet documentary about ONAN. That was just silly

Just like life huh?

>reading for plot
>reading for prose
Both are memes desu. Just read for enjoyment. For me that means a blend of plot and prose. IJ is not entirely a plot driven novel as far as I can tell but I'm about 500 pages in and am enjoying it nonetheless. Stick with it if you enjoy it and ditch it if you don't. The arcs do come together though, to be fair.

this is the only IJ thread i've ever seen on lit that hasn't immediately devolved into memery

That user is wrong, the book is redeemed around page 850.... keep reading....

Then read it you fucking pleb.

Don't buy two copies of the book then pleb out at pretend you read it like 90% of this board. Its an amazing book and within about 50 pages you will start to 'get' it.

I'm on page 198, I'm reading it thoroughly, annotating, and basically studying it, I think I'm getting a decent idea what is going on, I'm even starting to enjoy it,

The Eschaton part was pure autism and ended in a real kek.

The worst parts are (for me) to read (annoying af) are the faux ebonics parts.

The best parts are whenever Hal and Mario are talking before bed.

this
I also like Hal's phone calls with Orin
and Randy's wild ride of course

Hahaha "plebs"!! I screenshotted this for r/Veeky Forums for some upboats :^)

the faux ebonics parts are hilariously retarded

i will never read a novel by someone who got a creative writing masters ever again

>tfw skipped through most of Randy's wild ride because it was just too horrible

Reading the book for the second time now. Are those horrible parts worth reading or will it just make me hate that motherfucker more than I already do?

That's because he short fiction is simply better; it tackles the same themes that IJ does but in 1000 less pages. Unless you live for character creation and development, there's no reason to read IJ, and even then there are more enjoyable books with amazing characters.