What is art's relationship to truth?

What is art's relationship to truth?

Who gives a shit

Icons have the closest relationship between art and the Truth.

That's why it's called fiction, son.

Art reveals truth by helping people reach conclusions about themselves and the world they maybe sort of knew but couldn't articulate before.

Art is highly subjective, even what we consider art. I consider nature to be far more beautiful than anything we could ever create. "It is somethingto be able topaint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look..." (Thoreau) And in relation to truth, that which we consider beautiful is as true as anything else in our life.

paintings are never refered as fiction, you cuck. plays neither. sculpture neither. music? music has always had a vocation for truth.

only a lesser art form -yeah, literature- could excuse itself with "lmao jk this never happened btw".

>Art is highly subjective

eww.. basic much?

Don't make me bust that lip, boy

Arts relationship with truth is authorial in nature

Art actually has morality so it has the ability to be right or wrong

art is the truth

Might want to define "truth" first.

Identity. Or perhaps the question is simply irrelevant and ill-conceived.

I do not know who said it originally but I always liked " art is a lie that makes you realize the truth"

Real eyes
Realize
Real lies

It's a shard in its foot.

Kek I watched V for Vendetta too

really makes you think

truth can fuck right off

Art is merely the imitation of being. You have to get dialectical if you want to get at truth.

Art is a prism that takes the blinding light of life and separates it momentarily into it's constituent parts.

>You have to get dialectical if you want to get at truth.

the source of art is truth

who was more retarded?

the higher forms of painting like history painting deal with truth (and is succeeded by realisme and the avant-garde in the 19th century) but the further you move down the hierarchy the less the mechanics of painting are concerned with revealing truth than they are copying nature

of course whatever 'truth' the art engaged with changed from society to society and era to era, but all-in-all the 'great' art is some sort of meditation on the metaphysical

Art, in it's fullest rendition, is a reflection of the truth.

we need poems because the world is not a poem

Artist here. Sometimes I feel inadequate because of my profession. Sometimes I have trouble grasping the real beauty of Art.

It's easy to put meaning to your work when you're a surgeon or a scientist, but it's more difficult when you'r an artist, especially since I'm a cog in the entertainment field.

perfect

>Artist here.

The truth of what for fuck's sake? I'm so fucking tired of you motherfuckers making the most general questions your little minds can muster. You're not in the agora, stop fucking acting like you're in a goddamn Socratic dialogue! I can't stand this Platonistic shit anymore!

Goddamnit! This isn't even the right fucking board for this questions. This is the fucking LITERATURE board. Can't you come up with a particular question regarding SOMETHING about books, any books, even the authors? And while you're at it can't you actually say SOMETHING in your opening post? ANYTHING. It doesn't matter if you think it's banal or whatever. I'm fucking TIRED of these shitty non-topics which allow whatever meme-infested fuck to express his regurgitated, random opinion on the most general shit on the planet!

You in-substantial mother-fuckers, when was the last goddamn time your posts reached the fucking character limit? You're so fucking lonely and friendless aren't you WHAT ABOUT TRYING TO ACTUALLY STICK TO A DISCUSSION FOR ONCE IN YOUR INTERNET LIVES? THIS IS NOT A GODDAMN CHATROOM, YOU CAN HAVE A DISCUSSION FOR *WEEKS* HERE.

I'm a patient man but everyday EVERYDAY the same fucking shit, the same threads, the same specious bullshit posts backed up by NOTHING which get nobody NOWHERE and aren't even pretty to look at, and nobody even bothers to respond to! For all the time you people like to complain about spending here you surely put ABSOLUTELY NO EFFORT AT ALL IN YOUR POSTING. It's like you enjoy being miserable!

I should be sleeping goddamnit! It's shit like this that makes me want real relationships. This site could be so much better but you people aren't even trying. YOU BETTER NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST WITH AN "OH YOU'RE SO RIGHT user, NOW LET ME NOT ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT"

FUCK ALL OF YOU
WHY DO YOU THIS TO YOURSELVES

>truth

He's talking about the symbolics relationship to the real obviously

Art creates truth. Truth has no meaning before art.

Truth is art.

This

Artists are magicians that do their best to conceal their trick. If you spend enough time looking you'll see the seams

Art is a selective re-creation of reality according to an artist’s metaphysical value-judgments. Man’s profound need of art lies in the fact that his cognitive faculty is conceptual, meaning that he acquires knowledge by means of abstractions, and needs the power to bring his widest metaphysical abstractions into his immediate, perceptual awareness. Art fulfills this need: by means of a selective re-creation, it concretizes man’s fundamental view of himself and of existence. It tells man, in effect, which aspects of his experience are to be regarded as essential, significant, important.

Art is a mirror to reality.

take that plato

except you know all the art that doesn't try to conceal it

sometimes it attempts to be a reality in itself rather than a recreation. it contends with reality rather than recreates

'art as mirror' hasn't held currency in art theory for decades

Irrelevant.

>'art as mirror' hasn't held currency in art theory for decades
That's because it tells us nothing about art and its place, even though its the end result.
Art cannot replace reality or truth but it can become truth. But that is still a re-creation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgement. A good example is the bible. It can be taken as the truth encompassing all of reality that has guided many as its source of knowledge, but it is still a book that serves as a selective re-creation of reality.

I have never seen any art become truth or reality. Art creates meaning about reality and nothing more.

Artist here