How do your particular exams work?

I'm a little interested in different countries (or unis within a country) exam practices. Stuff like:
- How long are you exams?
- Do you have midterms?
- What grade scale do you use?
- At what % do you pass/fail?
- What kind of things are you allowed to use during the exam?

I'm a Norwegian 3rd year ME student. My exams are usually 3 hours, however first and second year maths courses are 5 hours. Usually nothing else than a calculator and pen and paper, but this years maths exam allowed everything written and printed (vector calc). Also the exams usually come with a relevant formula sheet and necessary tables for data you might need. Also no midterms, only hand ins where you have to complete 80% of them to be able to take the exam, and most of the subjects the exam is 100% of the grade. Passing % is >40% which I personally think is laughable.

What about yours?

Other urls found in this thread:

spiegel.de/lebenundlernen/uni/mathematik-klausur-durchfallquote-von-94-prozent-a-1087935.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Panama boi here
>- How long are you exams?
2 hours
- Do you have midterms?
Yes, like 3 or 4 that count for 40% of the grade most of the time. Except one time a professor decided they were 0% and final was 100%
0 to 3
You pass at 71%. Fail at anything below that

In the end you can be allowed to pass a course with a 61% if the professor thinks you are worthy but you are basically in academic probation and any other fail means you are out boi

Math major here and they let us use calculators and flash cards with professor approved theorems. That means high school tier trig identities that are not worth to memorize.

However once a professor allowed me to use my cellphone in a test because I didn't bring my flash card lol. In the end I didn't even use it though. I will note that only I was allowed this, this isn't a normal thing.

UCL in UK here
>How long?
about 2 or 3 hours for maths exams
>midterms
for some modules but they are only worth ~5% of our grade and are mainly practice
>grade scale?
Same throughout the UK, 40% to pass and the highest grade, a first, is 70%
>What are we allowed to use?
Nothing normally, sometimes a calculator

>71% to pass
I actually like that. There are people in my class that barely know how to do basic integration, and it kind of makes me upset that these people are worth the engineering title after 3 years.

Seems like your exam rules arent so strict, as we face a fail + one to two year suspension from any exam in higher education if we get caught even with a phone on us during the exam (or any breach of the exam rules).

Seems a little weird to have >70% for an A and then the rest of the grades B-E in the range between 40-70%

what is third year ME? VG or ungdom?

new york here
>length
the length of the regular class, which is 1.5 hours
>midterms
it's up to the professor, some have them and make them worth a lot, some don't even have them
>grade scale
roughly: over 90% = A, over 80% =B, over 65% = C, over 60% = D, less than 60% = F
and then there are B-, B+, etc for the points in between with A being the highest (no A+)
>pass/fail
60% (D) is technically passing, but most classes require that you got a C or better in the pre-requisite in order to take the class
so usually you need a 65% or better
>What kind of things are you allowed to use during the exam?
for math? non-graphing calculators and nothing else
rarely, a professor will hand out a supplemental sheet of information with the test or say text books are allowed
depends on the professor

Ontario, Canada.
Typically 1.5-3 hours. Usually 2 or 2.5 hours.
Typically we have midterm which are 1-1.5 hours. They are not mandatory. Entirely dependent on the class.
Varies with university: percentage, 4 point, 7 point, 10 point, 12 point.
At McMaster where I go, 12 point:
90-100: 12: A+
85-89: 11: A
80-84: 10: A-
77-79: 9: B+
73-76: 8: B
70-72: 7: B-
66-69: 6: C+
63-65: 5: C
60-62: 4: C-
57-59: 3: D+
53-56: 2: D
50-52: 1: D-
Below 50: 0: F
You need 50 or higher to pass a class and get credit.

Materials allowed during exams vary with exam/subjects/class/school.

Argentina
doing engineering

the system is more or less like this:
you have long courses and short courses( short courses are half the duration of the academic year, long courses are the entire year)
during the course you have "partial" exams. exams are graded from 1 to 10 usually can be passed with shit grades, sometimes 4 or more, 6 or more, or are not graded at all (you either pass or you don't pass)
if you pass the partial exams( which are usually 2,3 or 4 depending if the course is long or short) you have "regularised" the course. which means you can go on to further courses down the academic tree.
when you regularise a course, you have three attempts to take a final over three years. if you fail, you have to retake the course. you can take the finals whenever you want within those three years.
also if you pass the partials with good grades (8 or more, usually) you can sometimes skip the final.
the rules for this stuff is usually decided by the main professor of the course you are taking
i like this system

Gernany, CS masterrace (I was that one who posted his exams in s thread)

- Exams are mostly 2 hours long
- Sometimes you need to pass a midterm do not fail the class but you cannot up your grade with it
- 1.0, 1.3, 1.7, 2.0, .., 4.0 and 5.0 - 1.0 is best and 5.0 is a failed class
- In most courses at 50%
- A pen, no calculator except in numerical analysis

Our finals are our complete course grade

btw, exams are usually two hours long. only math professors disallowed calculators, but not all of them.
no open book exams as far as I've seen. some courses allow you to bring at most handwritten cheat sheet(very rarely)
i think getting a 40% pass is OK.

MechE bachelor

Portland, Oregon here.

-2 to 2.5 hours
- There's always one midterm, but depending on the class, there might actually be two.

A: 90%-100%
B: 80%-89%
C: 70%-79%
D (not a passing grade): 60%-69%
F: 50%-59%

Encountered a lot of auto-fail rules too: like if you score under 70% on your final, miss more than two lab sessions, get under a 75% cumulative on your lab reports, etc.

-Depends on the class. Almost always no notes and closed book. In calculus, there might be a portion of the test you're allowed to use a calculator on, and you can have a couple of sheets of blank scratch paper, but that's it.

>the exam is 100% of the grade
Is this common for Europe? It makes sense that a passing grade is so low when there is only one exam. How are the grades split up? Like What's a B and so on?

Well I'm in Boston
>How long are you exams?
2:00-3hrs
>Do you have midterms?
Yes, so far for me it has either been one midterm and a final or two exams and a final. Only course which hasn't had a test was college writing.
>What grade scale do you use?
94+ = A = 4.00
90-93 = A- = 3.667
87-89 = B+ = 3.333
83-86 = B= 3
80-82 = B- = 2.667
77-79 = C+ = 2.333
73-76 = C = 2
70-72 = C- = 1.667
67-69 = D+ = 1.333
63-66 = D = 1
60-62 = D- = 0.667 (A few of the constituent colleges at my school do not accept D- for any mandatory course. Essentially a D- in engineering requires you to take the course, but I guess having to retake a course you got a D- in is better than an F which stays on a transcript)
0-59 =F = 0
>At what % do you pass/fail?
59% is a failure
>What kind of things are you allowed to use during the exam?
Usually pencil, pen, and calculator if the test requires calculations. Some math courses such as probability and statistics, linear algebra and intro to discrete math do not allow calculators.

I go to a no-name Canadian university doing math.

All finals are 3 hours. Midterms are 1 hour 20 minutes.
The final is usually worth between 40 and 60 percent and tests+assignments (if any) make up the rest.
Every course has at least 1 midterm, most will have 2. Some courses do weekly/biweekly quizzes also.
Standard A-F grade scale that's been posted multiple times.
50% is a pass but the uni has a requirement that your major average be above 70 and your non-major average be above 60 so you can't scrape by all your courses at 51%
Calculators are allowed only if the exam needs them, which means in most freshman/sophomore courses they are but past that not often. You can't bring anything else.

>paper
fuck, why are some professors so anal about this?
>nonono, only two sheets!

>Is this common for Europe? It makes sense that a passing grade is so low when there is only one exam. How are the grades split up? Like What's a B and so on?

For my school (and I think for most schools in the country) it's ≥90% for A, 80-89% for B, 60-79% for a C, 50-59% for a D and 40-49% for an E.

Usually the exam is 100% of the character but sometimes there are projects or similar that affect the grade. I've had 2 or 3 subjects that weighted a project 30-40% of the grade and the exam the rest, however that doesn't change the grade % scale, i.e 40% is still the fail-limit.

Forgot to add sometimes they normal distribute the grades so the grade scale might change slightly, but usually not more than 5% in either direction.

Maryland, USA here:
>Length:
90 minutes
>Midtern:
No midterm but 4 tests after each module with a cumulative final
>Grade Scale:
0.0 - 4.0 with As (90.0 - 100) Bs (80.0 - 89.99) Cs (70.0 - 79.99) Ds (60.0 - 69.99) and Es (0 - 59.99)
>Pass/Fail:
You can pass with a D however you need at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA to graduate (C Average)
>Materials:
Pencil, paper scientific calculator if you're below stats/calc and a Ti-84 or below if you're in stats/calc

Also here's our grading scale:
Tests = 40%
Final = 20%
HW = 10%
Quizzes = 15%
Projects = 15%
Our teacher is cool and replaces our lowest test grade with our final test grade unless the final is worth less

What school?

Sorry NSA but I will say it's in the USMD system

Finland
>length
2.5-3.5 hours
>Midtern
If the course last the whole semester
>Grade scale
Exams are usually graded from 0-24 points and scores range from 0-5 where 0 is fail. Exam is 100%
>Pass/Fail
You usually get 1 with half the points in exam ie. 12. Then the grades go in about intervals of 2 to 3 points. You can get 5 usually with 22/24.
>Materials
Pen and paper

Excersises are complitely optional but you can in some courses earn extra points by doing most/almost all of them. Usually up to 3.

Are exams in america all multiple choice?

The UK scale the grade nationally and the scale stops at 70% to discourage inflation. Failing is quite common desu

No my calc tests were like 80% written only 20% multie choice but tge multiple choice still required a lot of work

entirely multiple choice tests are popular in classes like history and shit
because if you allow people to write in the answer then if they get things wrong, they will make a case for their wrong answer and get partial credit

with multiple choice you can give them 0% credit for the question when they are wrong

Haven't seen a multiple choice question on a math exam since grade school.

Haven't seen a multiple choice question on any exam since 100- level general science Astronomy. (General science meaning science for arts majors who need a science credit for their degree)

>length
3 hours for most. can be different for lab exams.
>grade scale/fail %
50% to fail. A is 85-100 (weird, i know), B is 70-84, C is 60-69, D is below that.
>midterms
depends on the class. some have 1, some have two.
>exam tools
pens, pencils, etc. calculators are permitted for some classes but others not.

Oh yeah, and another major benefit if the test is all multiple choice: the professor doesn't grade anything.
This machine does all the work

Denmark. can be

30 minute oral exams with similar preparation
your usual 4 hour written exam slog
a 5 day project exam
or a weeklyish assignment awarding x points where your total number of points define your grade.

around 50% correct is usually the lowest passing mark with high grades becoming increasingly larger amount of points.

Usually at exams you're allowed a computer and some times the Internet excepting oral exams.

There's only one school in Canada, as far as I know, that uses the 12 point system. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
I also mentioned the name in my post pretty sure.

>There's only one school in Canada
kek

If you're majoring in something like psychology. I'm a chemical engineering major and I haven't seen a multiple choice test since high school.

Ayy Mac senpai what program are you in?

Also you forgot to add that you need a CGPA of a 4 to stay in the school.

they have math majors in 3rd world countries

>F starts at 50%
its 62% at my uni

France
> How long are you exams?
2 hours for midterms, 3 for finals
> Do you have midterms?
yes
> What grade scale do you use?
0 to 20
> At what % do you pass/fail?
10, but you need to pass each individual subject and have an average of 12/20 to actually pass the year
> What kind of things are you allowed to use during the exam?
Occasionnally lecture notes

Is it true that the highest grade a French professor will give is 19/20? Or is that a myth?

4-5 hours
>- Do you have midterms?
No, only a final that lasts 4-5 hours. Questions are very random.
We do have a lot of labs where you demonstrate your code to prove that you have written it. The math courses only have some hand-ins of proofs.
>- What grade scale do you use?
3=E
4=C
5= A

>- At what % do you pass/fail?
Depends on the course,
but the lowest i have come across is 50%

>- What kind of things are you allowed to use during the exam?
Nothing, we have however computer based exams where you write code on a computer and you can compile.

>Is this common for Europe? It makes sense that a passing grade is so low when there is only one exam. How are the grades split up? Like What's a B and so on?
In Germany it's common, at least in STEM majors. Our grade scale in most courses: >95% is 1.0, >90% is 1.3, >85% is 1.7, >80% is 2.0, etc.

Yeah people dont tend to go too much over 70% and most people average 55-65%

No idea if it is common, I live in Sweden and we are all slackers. Every exam 70% fail and some universities have 3 chances every year to complete the course. Only like 3 out of 90 people get a 5 (an A)
and 22/90 get a 4(C). A lot of exchange students come here to slack off and fuck blonde girls, I recommend it if you want some vacation.

>What is a B
There is no B, we have a grade 5 which is 90% of the finals, 4 is 80%.

Tell your sister I'm on my way.

Physics in Germany.
Written exams are two hours, mostly. Starting from the fourth semester exams don't influence your grade, you just have to pass. Instead you have two oral exams lasting one hour that encompass semesters four to six. Once you're in your Master's it's all oral exams.
>- Do you have midterms?
Only like twice or so and they didn't influence your grade (you're required to do exercise sheets to be allowed to take the exam and they counted as part of that).
Often it goes somewhat smoothly from 1.0 (best possible) at 95% to 4.0 (barely passing) at 50%. Exams are the only thing that matters..
50%, normally. Normally at least a third of all students fail.
A single page of handwritten notes.

I work in my school's administrative office and found out the most popular school for exchange students next semester will be Lund University

USA
2 hours officially, I've had a couple professors schedule longer ones
>- Do you have midterms?
No
Professors can set their own scale, usually it's 85 to 93% for an A
C- grade is required for credit towards major which is usually around 70%
Depends on class, some nothing, some a page of notes, some allow the book

>I live in Sweden
I never thought that ISIS had universities.

Pretty much same for me, except the 70% for major part.

these ebin right wing memes are so bad

>3hour long exams
>some of them have 3 hour long midterms, most of them dont.
we use the dutch grade scale from 1 to 10, where your grade usually is determined by [math]max\{E,0.7E+0.3H\}[/math]
where [math]E[/math] is the examgrade, determined by [math]1+P/10 [/math] where P is the number of points (out of 90) scored on the exam.
and H is the average homework grade.

>currently pass most of the courses in one go.
in general courses have about 75%-80% pass rate. have seen some having 50% pass rate.

>am allowed to use pen and paper on exam, nothing else usually.

Im a 2nd year math undergrad

oh I miss interpreted the question

for a given grade [math]G = max\{E,0.7E+0.3H\}[/math];
you pass the course if [math]G\geq5.5[/math]
you fail the course if [math]G

>Imperial College
>engineer

>How long?
shortest is 1h 30m
longest is 2h 30m
>midterms
nope
>grade scale?
UK grade scale
40 for pass
70 for top grade
>What are we allowed to use?
calculator for every exam

Hvilket uni/hogskole? Går selv VG3 nå. Vurderer EE eller ME til hosten.

Italy.
>How long are you exams?
Tipically 2 to 3 hours long,depends on the exam.
>Do you have midterms?
We may have midterm tests that is based tipically on half the program of the exam,although not every exam has them. Depends on the professor,as they do it as a possibility to reduce the arguments for those who are following the course. Tipically they're valued just like full exams,from 0 to 30,where 18 is needed to pass; then an average with the second half is made for the final grade.
> What grade scale do you use?
As said before,from 0 to 30,where 18 is the minimum to pass. This is because exams used to be valued by a commission of 3 professors,where each one gave a vote from 0 to 10. They're no longer held this way though.
> What kind of things are you allowed to use during the exam?
Usually just a calculator,although not a programmable one such as the texas instruments ones.

G E R M A N Y.

>How long are you exams?
Depends. Between 90 and max. 120 minutes

- Do you have midterms?
Nope

1.0 (best), 1.3, 1.7, ... , 4.0 (worst but passed), 5.0 (failed)
Depends. Some exams you just need 50%, some other about 70%~
Nothing except some pencil/pen and in rare classes 1-2 pages cheat-sheets. But they won't help you if you struggled to understand the course material

There are no grade curves or anything at all. It's not rare to have 50% - 90% fail-rate in some courses like...

spiegel.de/lebenundlernen/uni/mathematik-klausur-durchfallquote-von-94-prozent-a-1087935.html

(94% failed)

HiOA. Bra miljo, men mange idioter. Chillere studie enn på universitetene.