What is /lit's/ view on Alan Watts

Veeky Forums considers all western buddhists to be shit

I think he was a good man, but I don't agree with pantheism or buddhism so I don't agree with him.

Veeky Forums in general considers all buddhists to be shit east or west lets be real

He's a meme, nice to listen to but God forbid you meet someone who takes him seriously

Like, sometimes I want to get high and chill out and will listen to him but if I want enlightenment I head elsewhere.

he's great, Veeky Forums is too shackled by the idea of classical western intellectualism to appreciate anyone who hadn't have considerable critical acclaim by Academy, as they're not too keen on scrutinizing ideas by themselves and prefer to get the whole thinking process done by other people, but if you actually want unpretentiousaly to think about some of the ideas reality presents to us, Alan Watts certainly give points which are enjoyable and useful to consider.

Ah Christ here's one of them now

This.

He gets to stay on Alan Watts' aircraft.

I like his ideas about non-duality. We only experience heat in contrast to our experience of cold etc.

Thats a nonsensical circular logic

Hot and cold don't exist, they're abstractions based on a discreet spectrum of our experience of temperature

I'm sorry but you're newly invented meaningless definition doesn't exist in the real world, I can invent a concept too and shout 'see! here is one of them now!' but only a complete idiot would take it as anything but the projection of your low intellect mind.

your* fucking phone keyboard

>Hot and cold don't exist

slow down descartes

garbage

>subjectivity doesn't exist
gee I better go kill myself then

Thats Husserl to you

No you idiot, I'm saying we subjectively experience temperature as a continuous spectrum, hot and cold are an extra-subjective linguistic abstraction based on that

He seems nice. I don't know if I believe him, but he's nice and I like that. Reminds me of a doting grandfather.

eventually the forms which manifest inside our consciousness are either hot or cold and anything in between is a varying combination of them,there isn't a third sort of subjective experience that defines temperature for us.

You're mistaking the inadequacy of language to capture experience as experience itself. There is only the "third kind", the rest are a fiction that we can speak of but do not feel.

what you're saying is ridiculous, we experience something to varying degrees of intensity and similarity and for the efficiency of language compress it into a word and take it as axiomatic that the other side understands we mean the whole experience, I by myself am not confusing languical constructs with actual subjective phenomenona, but the things which we experience is what we convey with language not the other way around.

Which is entirely my point. Your only caveat here is just in the clear fact that understanding transcends the limitations of language in its discreet expressions by virtue of our shared experience.

your point was that hot and cold do not exist because they are only words and my point is that in relation to the subjective experience of temperature they are the only things that do exist, and the words are just manifestation of what we subjectively experience, correct me if I'm wrong here.

What don't you agree with pantheism?
Just curious to know your views.

His ideas on discipline, materialism and money, the interdependence of things, personal responsibility, the unessentiality of existence, and faith are great. But because he speaks to a general crowd, rather than academia, he doesn't talk like your standard philosophy, which makes it impossible for intellectual people to actually consider his points.

Just like Ayn Rand.

Those aren't his ideas at all.