Recent purchaseses

Post your recent purchaseses,rate other's.

Joseph and his brothers by Thomas Mann
The novel of the coming century by Mór Jókai
Prosaic works of Seneca

All this for 9 bucks.
Did I do good?

>Prosaic works of Seneca
Flashy binding, but if you want to read the works of the writers of Antiquity, then you should look into the Loeb Classical Library.

patrician

>perpetuating the loeb meme

Why do they even waste money printing the Latin.

Bilingual texts are great.

I wish parallel texts were easier to find for more things, if I can't learn every language I'd at least like to be able to see it and sound it out a bit, notice cognates, etc

Just bought 1962-63 nobel prize collection of Steinbeck. unopened, pages uncut. Danish translation, but eh, it was

That sounds pretty cool, never seen Steinbeck as a collection. Do you have pics?

Here you go, covers are a bit battered, probably from being driven around to markets for a year.

Loving that seneca cover.

Do you know anything about Kahnemann? I have that book too, dont know if I should read it.

It was suggested to me by a psychologist and I've seen it rated on Veeky Forums before. I've picked it up for a couple of chapters, but approached it the wrong way. You can't read it alongside other books, it's too dense and you will lose the jist of it. The writing seemd thorough and everything is backed by studies and research. What I read was enlightening and I'm definitely going back to finish it soon.

Is it worth checking my local used store?
I haven't been there since i bought comics when i was 10. But you guys make it sound like it could be some rare treasure there.

Yeah.Try it.
The two books in the middle I bought for 2~ bucks.Bought it from a street vendor.
Joseph and his brothers was around 3~ bucks.
That was from an online bookstore.It's in mint condition.Even has a plastic cover.

Diggin' trough trash and finding gems for the price of a bag of peanuts is great.

Eh its only really good if you live in a big city. I have two thrift stores and a used book store in my city and they all suck. The thrift stores have trash mostly and sell books for nearly full price and the used book store is probably 70% romance novels and crappy coffee table books.

>books still on the mail
>it's been more than a month now

Fucking Book Depository, man.

UofT is having a booksal,e but I got there pretty late in the day and by the time I made it down it was basically meme-free. Little disappointed t bh

Holy shit, mind my retardation. From the top of the image down is The Corrections, Meditations, White Noise, some Plato, The Aeneid, The Sound and the Fury, Macbeth (original and simplified side by side) and Hamlet

you not actually gon' read joseph and his brothers

Why would you say that?
I'm already 20 pages in.

new to Veeky Forums, didn't want to make a new thread for this

do you guys have pepe memes of famous authors? im looking for nabokov pepe in particular

fuck off, dumb frogposter

At the Mountains of Madness
Underworld
Tale of Two Cities
Miss Lonelyhearts
High Lonesome
Sickness Unto Death
Fear and Trembling
Lying
Ways of Seeing
Valis
11/22/63
Aleister Crowley: Magick, Rock and Roll, and the Wickedest Man in the World

This is what happens when you go to rehab.

What, were you an alcoholic or something?

I was into oxy. But my drug and alcohol history is pages long—literally.

>The Odyssey
Finished it a few days ago, the Alkinoos part is top-tier. Did you go for prose or verse?

Of course it is.

Got the 3 on top for 10 €, really good shape, especially the Carver.

Fuck I really need to stop buying books though, the ones I get now I'll probably never get around reading them for more than a year. Bought the Pynchon because I had a 10€ voucher to use and they mostly had shite where I could use it.

How good is Franzen? I hesitated between Bleeding Edge, Purity & Zero K at the shop where I had to get something.

its not bad, well thought out book.
I was only dissappointed by the fact that it centered around economic more than the psychological side of things.
but if you're into the former by all means, pick it up. it's not very advanced or groundbreaking though.

We have properly funded libraries.

gah I read The Rainbow earlier this year and I thought I liked it when I was reading it but when I thought about it a week later I realized that I hated it.

Don't know why Im sharing this. Enjoy it.

>he renounces the concept of ownership

£10.50 in a charity book store that is 50 feet from the train station by my uni. How did I do?

Pretty well desu

>falling for self help books

Picked up a couple on Monday and the rest today.

Forgot pic

The power of memes is strong.

patrician af senpai

I do have to say aside that it's a rather lovely work.

Hats off to Woods.

Actually what the actual fuck is this fucking shit. is this actually real like actually WHAT

Because Loeb editions are for scholars, you tit.

whats up with all the =
is he trying to hold ur hand and explain all his puns?

It's pretty handy=helpfull.)) :: >> (Thanks)..

What are some books that have helped you with your addiction (if any)? Not really looking for self-help books, more for fiction and lit. Have family in rehab with huge depression and I want to get something meaningful.

Bought these last Saturday. I'm happy.

Just got these.

>that american psycho word placement
who thought that was a good idea?

There are so many hungarian, polish anons in these threads, I wonder why.

Whole stack cost 4.50, I'm really happy with it.

Rhetoric by Aristotle, halfway in and I find it a bit of a letdown.

Idk.
I met only 3 or so hungarians

Depends. There are 3 used ones I go to, each has a different purpose.

One is 3 miles away, has the usual stuff and occasionally some uncommon gems, but even a paperback is usually $5 which is obscene for a used book. I go because it's close.

Another is in another, more rural county south of me. It's massive, and cheap as all fuck (I got a hardcover War and Peace in amazing condition for a dollar, e.g.) but it's far away and doesn't have ANY uncommon or rare treasures.

Third is very far away, across the state border. 1+ hour from my house. Constant 40% deal on all books. They have actual treasures -- as in, they have an entire huge aisle of books printed before 1800, and a "rare books" area where they have many books printed before Shakespeare was born. I got a 1632 prayer book from Italy for $10 there somehow. Also paperbacks are all around $1 and I get more current hardcovers (say, The Magus by John Fowles) for around $3-4. I got a complete anthology of greek drama, two volumes in hardcover, for $3. But it's far away and the cashier guy is a cranky old jewish guy who yells when I touch any book worth more than $20 because I look like a kid and he's afraid I'm going to take a dump on his stock or something I have no fucking idea

>But it's far away and the cashier guy is a cranky old jewish guy who yells when I touch any book worth more than $20 because I look like a kid and he's afraid I'm going to take a dump on his stock or something I have no fucking idea

This made me chuckle desu

Burger dollars, btw

They look like they would have cum stains on them.

It is
And if you're a collegefag, you should look around campus for places where professors put out their books for pick up when they purge their libraries
Pic related, a bunch of periodicals, essay collections (Peter Lang published interesting ones), some linguistic stuff, and some literature as well (Fontane, Hamsun, Nibelungenlied).
All for free

Yes, most of my books I get there. Last time I got

Crime and Punishment
Dubliners
Ulysses
The Sun Also Rises
The Stranger
Lolita
Notes from the Underground

for about $10~20

Patrician picture quality user, any more of your room?

I think it's meant to look like a business card.