Sleep Paralysis

Do any other Veeky Forumsfags get sleep paralysis? I'm curious.

Wikipedia says that sleep paralysis is sometimes accompanied by hallucinations, but I've never personally experienced hallucinations. It's happened to me so many times now that it's more of a slightly freaky moment rather than deadly terrifying.

Just sleep on your side and train yourself to never sleep on your back and you're good. I used to get this problem a lot too, but every since I stopped sleeping on my back, it's pretty much stopped, and when it does happen, it's very minor and doesn't involve any screaming or even that much fright in general.

I used to get it, with hallucinations.

It was fucking terrifying. Usually it was just flashes of white that my mind would turn into screaming faces. Sometimes my ears would ring at the same time, and I'd just lie there trying to will my body to move until it would.

Glad I don't get it any more

I don't get them anymore either. The hallucinations were something else. What made them even more "fun" was that I'm a fighter. I'd wake up paralyzed with the hallucinations and I'd fight back against it. When the paralysis finally broke it felt like a slow motion ramp and suddenly I'd be in the middle of the room swinging at hallucinations that weren't there anymore.

I often wake up and feel like for some reason, if I don't move, my heart is going to stop beating. I'm paralyzed, but I find that I can break the paralysis by breathing quickly. What is going on? Can psychology or neuroscience explain this? I don't get hallucinations.

I've had sleep paralysis a few times in my life, its really not as bad as all the cry babies make it out to be.

>wake up on my side completely unable to move one night
>cant even move my head
>can see my right arm and hand
>focus like crazy on trying to move them
>slowly start getting little movements in my fingers
>am very slowly breaking out of it
>can just twitch my fingers now and almost curl them
>fall back asleep
>wake up
>wew lad to myself

ive never had the spooky men in the room thing before (i did but they were just basic nightmares).

I hallucinated during sleep paralysis last week. I woke up and saw my girlfriend running to the bathroom to throw up and than I heard her mom asking if everything was ok with her. I stood up to check if she was ok, but when I was at the bathroom door I realized it was a different door, so I went on a lucid dreaming state.

who saw the nigga in the shadows?

I think it happens because your brain "disconnects" from your body so you dont act out your dreams.

It happened to me all the time before I started sleeping on my side.

First time time it happened I was 6
>laying on back, in bed, arms behind head
>night time
>suddenly realise I am paralysed
>hear a snickering under the bed
>little evil gremlin creeps up to my armpit
>tickles me whilst snickering
>im terrified

I managed to fight my way out of the paralysation eventually

Your consciousness travels to the other you in a parallel dimension but something goes wrong and.you get caught between the 2 because you're asleep but you haven't shut down your body the way you should've. It's all in the Bible.

I used to get it but now i trained myself not to sleep on my back. When i experienced it, i had some minor allucinations, like seeing my cat walking on me or hearing someone talking.

I started having sleep paralysis when I was 18 , and at it's worst I would have it 2 or 3 times a week, some nights I could have it 5 or 6 times before falling asleep. Then I started smoking a lot of pot and my sleep paralysis went away. Haven't smoked for three months and I had sleep paralysis maybe once or twice.

Had it a few times (maybe 5 max) but since I also lucid dream I've learned to stay calm and wait for it to pass. I just wake up in the night and see a figure standing at my bedside mostly, pretty freaky.

>flashes of white
>ears would ring
Sounds like exploding head syndrome.

Been having white flashes while falling asleep lately, first I was kinda afraid my retina was detaching or something but I guess it's just a hallucination.

I used to get them more often, though I've had two this semester. Fucking horrifying.

I'll be paralyzed and I'll see a figure moving towards me, generally not a detailed figure but vaguely scary looking and I always get a horrible menacing vibe from them. At this point I usually close my eyes and try to wait it out because if not they get closer and it is even more scary. Sometimes they'll make loud noises as they come near me making me feel like they're closer, sometimes I feel a breath on me or something similar while I have my eyes closed shortly before I am free. I've opened my eyes before near the end and sometimes they're there, really close, sometimes they've vanished but I still feel like they're there.

My experiences with sleep paralysis make me totally understand how earlier civilizations believed in angels demons etc. visiting them. Of course I know it is all in my head and not some /x/ seeing another world shit.

Didn't know about this.

I wonder if they're related

Oh shit this is an actual phenomenon? Happened to me once but I couldnt tell if it actually happened or if I was still dreaming.

I did have both paralysis and hallucinations but was not really scared by either.
Hallucinations were really just music playing in the background. Cant remember what but it felt really strange but not unconfortable.
Regarding the paralyzation I immediately had to think of the feet scene from Kill Bill, so I did just that untill it stopped.
Fell asleep again shortly after and had the same thing happen upon waking up again.

i've been having sleep paralysis quite frequently 2-5 times a week, but its mostly when i'm starting to fall asleep.

Guys I sleep on my back for couple of years actually since I was born but it didn't happen to me.

I get it relatively often, mostly when I take a nap in the afternoon or if my alarm wakes me up in the morning and then I go to sleep again. Sometimes, I also wake up feeling extremely tired and if I don't jolt out of bed then but instead try to fall asleep again, I get it almost immediately. I have only had like 3 hallucinations with it, though, but they weren't really scary. Actually, one of then happened a few days ago. I had a strong feeling that someone I knew was in the room cleaning around and I was calling them so they would come and wake me up. I wonder if I was actually shouting their name or if I was just imagining I did. Also, I never sleep on my back, I have always slept on my side yet it still happens. It doesn't scare me that much anymore but it still makes me kinda anxious and I keep trying to move my hands or fingers.

The "don't sleep on your back" thing doesn't work for me. Most of my S.P happened while sleeping on my side, I even had SP sitting, during a plane travel.
What seems to make it happen more often is a bad sleeping habit, almost 100% of it happened when I was sleeping only three hours at night and I would take a nap in the afternoon.

I get it every once in awhile. I've only had hallucinations once though. I looked over into my room during it and there were 5+ shadow people standing there just looking at me. I tried to scream but couldn't and it just made me more afraid. The trying to scream sometimes happens in actual dreams too and also makes any fear a lot worse.

Most of the time though I don't see or hear anything but I feel like there's something evil or scary in the room with me. I at some point realized I could set my alarm clock to go off in 1 minute while it's happening (even though I'm still physically paralyzed) and when it goes off I'll be out of the paralysis and somewhat awake.

What the fuuuuuuuuck dude.

You people are fucked up.

That shit is fucking scary.

The first time I got sleep paralysis I thought I was haunted. Every time it happens to me, there's something there doing it to me. Sometimes it's a supernatural being and other times it's someone I know.

How often do you get sleep paralysis? I've gotten used to it, and I even look forward to it sometimes.

Yes.

>be 6
>laying in bed
>cant move body
>lights in the hallway are on
>see a fucking silverback gorilla walk past door and look in my room
>adrenaline goes from 0 to 100 real quick
>finally get feeling in my fingers
>in about 5 seconds, body goes from completely paralyzed to allowing me to move slightly
>gorilla disappears
>move enough to roll out of bed
>body relaxes and I run to my mom

Holy shit this reminds me of this

>be le me
>little kid, like a toddler or some shit
>taking an afternoon nap
>open my eyes and look up at the ceiling...
>there is a fucking mickey mouse head attached high up on the wall next to my bed. Think one of those dear heads or whatever, but fucking mickey mouse
>he's looking directly at me with some fucking satanic eyes and that fucking terrifying grin on his face
>he sticks his tongue out... and his tongue gets longer and longer and starts coming at me
>he makes some kind of fucking satanic hissing sound as this is happening
>I can't fucking move

At that time I thought it was just a nightmare, but now I wonder if it was a moment of sleep paralysis with a really fucked up hallucination...

You're not the only one.

>be me
>be in the navy
>sleeping in the barracks
>hear door slam, see roommate walk past
>5 min later see roommate walk in again
>ask him if he was doing laundry outside, he says no he just walked in
>realize I was in sleep paralysis and saw figures(again)
>try not to fall asleep
>scare the shit out of myself

Same poster

Moved out into town with my girlfriend and started getting sleep paralysis again. Would see dark figures around my bed and sometimes would feel my body lift up from my bed. Told my girlfriend about it and she started sleeping somewhat on top of me cause I told her it felt like aliens around the bed. Couple nights later she starts sleep talking and sleep walking. One night she sat straight up in the middle of the night and asked "why are you here? What do you want?" The next night I got sleep paralysis again with the same dark figures around my room and coincidentally she slept walked into the living room the same night and woke up on the couch the next morning. It happened a couple time while we were in that house. Those 2 coincidences really freak me the fuck out.

I try to induce sleep paralysis on my own terms. Never saw anything scary. The most fear i got was when i felt like i was suffocating and the paralysis released.

I think the figures are there to test you. From what ive heard itt, your body doesnt want to paralyze you if you arent asleep. I noticed that when i lucid dream. Initially, my body gets uncharacteristically itchy. If i move my arm, 15min of concentration is lost and im back to square one.

I wouldnt draw conclusions on visions while half asleep or in dreams. Its just an experience, like how hot sauce tricks your body into thinking its in danger.

How are you guys opening your eyes to this all of this fucked up shit if you're sleeping?

I don't know to what extent this stuff takes place in the real world. I think the majority of it is still with your eyes physically closed but you generally have more awareness of where you're sleeping than if you were actually sleeping. Sleep paralysis kind of happens between being asleep and awake. Even if your hallucinations take place in your room where everything seems to be like it is irl that doesn't necessarily mean (and probably isn't) that you're actually physically doing these things.

Some guy above says he jumped out of bed at one point when he suddenly became able to move though so sometimes I guess it can transfer to real life.

In my post here though I say that I've been able to set my alarm clock while this is happening. I never do it physically though, since it's already set to a certain time and still is when I actually wake up. It's just me dreaming and doing something in the dream that will wake me up.

I have definitely had hallucinations. I could see the room I was in except there were hurricane winds and I couldn't hear anything and everything was slamming around in the room

I've had a few, they always come when I try to lucid dream by moving my fingers slightly while falling asleep. My first one was the most horrifying for sure: I realized I was falling asleep, I felt a weird feeling all over my body and was getting super excited that I might get into a lucid dream. But then, there was this extremly high pitched sound and I opened my eyes. I saw these weird masks (pic related) hovering above my head in the ceiling. They slowly started moving towards me and I felt the greatest sense of fear I've ever felt. I panicked and tried to move but of course I couldn't. I had read about sleep paralysis before, so I closed my eyes and hoped it would go away but then I felt like someone was breathing on my face. I didn't open my eyes out of fear though and then the pitched noise started fading out and I woke up.

>get sleep paralysis fairly often
>"intruder" hallucination literally every time
In all of my life I have never experienced such a vivid sense of danger. Sometimes they're accompanied with auditory hallucinations as well so I hear scratching or rustling behind me or under my bed. Daily reminder to fix your sleep cycle, lads.

Ive had sleep paralysis a few times before. Most of the time I try to use it to lucid dream but if you want to wake up the best method I've found is to try to wiggle a toe. Once you can do that you should regain control almost immediately.

I used to get this this with auditory and visual hallucinations. A huge silhouette of a red eyed demon loomed over me from the corner of my room, laughing menacingly with demonic laughter.
Stopped sleeping on my back and it went away. I always knew before it would happen, my ears would start to ring.

And I forgot to mention: felt absolute fear, the greatest sense of fear I've ever felt, during it.

Happened only once in my whole life, no hallucinations, but it was strange enough to try to move my body without success, being the first time, I was a bit agitated because I didn't know what was happening.

I usually sleep on my side, but that day I had to keep my leg in a certain position

i have it every now and then and it feels pretty similar all the time. i dont see things, since my eyes are closed. but i always feel things. either it feels like something is sitting on top of me, something stroking my back and things like that. sometimes i also feel like im travelling, in the sense of i feel like im accelerating and very much so. like when the plane starts and the speed pushes you into your seat, just 1000 times more powerful. i have learned to wake up though. its pretty easy, you just need to scream really loudly in your imagination. if you scream loud enough, your eyes open and you feel normal again.

I've had it twice, I had it bad one night last month, it was 4am and every time i closed my eyes i was insta-paralysed and imaging strange shapeshifting dogs all around me, also I felt like the room was vibrating and could hear some loud abrasive noise music all around me. It took me about 10 seconds to snap out of it each time, i couldn't sleep with it. I hadn't been sleeping well the week before and took melatonin that night so that might caused it
I also induced it one time a few years ago by lying completely still for about 30 mins, not even swallowing. Same this happened, room started vibrating, my heart rate went way up and I had to snap myself out of it.
Both times were bad experiences.

I get them with hallucinations and sometimes with sounds. Every time I enter sleep paralysis if I open my eyes I see shadowy figures around my room watching me. At first it sounds like they're whispering but then they start approaching my bed and the whispering gets faster and more jumbled like a room full of people talking. At that point i'm able to move my finger and the hallucination and paralysis is over.

i have had sleep paralysis some years ago.

I have some little hallucinations but those were not terrifying.

Sometimes it was just a terrifying feeling and sensations without hallucinations, and sometimes i did hallucinate, but what i always saw was like seeing the room like if the light was turned on (no way it could be true) and someone approaching me, like my mother or brother. As I said, the terrifying was the felling and I wanted to scream and ask them to wake me up (of course, i couldn't say anything). Suddenly I woke up and it was all dark and nobody was near

Another time i saw like shadows or objects transforming to something else, but at that time I already knew about sleep paralysis and wasn't terrifying, just closed my eyes, tried to calm down, and eventually I woke up

I used to get hallucinations. I think they were fear induced because I didn't know what the fuck was going on.

After I learned about sleep paralysis I stopped getting hallucinations and it just became a nuisance.
>Oh sleep paralysis. This is annoying. I guess I'll just go back to sleep.

On a somewhat related note I've had a similar thing with those common nightmares everyone gets (like the nightmare where your teeth all fall out). Eventually I realized that this shit only happens in nightmares and now it's like.
>teeth start falling out
>oh, I'm in a fucking dream

>After I learned about sleep paralysis I stopped getting hallucinations and it just became a nuisance.
>>Oh sleep paralysis. This is annoying. I guess I'll just go back to sleep.

yeah, after reading about it, and having several sleep paralysis, you just don't care anymore. I don't know what I do but I know that somehow I know how to wake up and I just wake up. I think it is like trying to calm down and try to sleep, like if you were awake and you want to sleep

I get them sleeping on my side, my stomach and my back, though most often on my back.

Now, and I need some input here, do any of you also experience numbness and an electrical-like shock? When I snap out of SP, I always experience an electrical-like shock all over my body. I am convinced thats the key to understanding wtf is going on. I also get hallucinations every now and then but I also feel a lot of pressure on chest, face, back etc as if someone was trying to push me into the bed or something. Really interesting stuff

I had it once. I thought someone had laid a mattress on top of me while I was sleeping as a joke, but when I tried to get it off I couldn't move. I'd try to swing my arms but it felt like they were weighed down by something impossibly heavy that somehow wasn't crushing me. I started to panic and yell but nothing came out. Then my limbs started to move a little, but it was like I was moving through molasses. The paralysis wore off as my breathing got heavier, and I haven't experienced it since.

It coincided with a lucid dreaming experience for me if that means anything.