Tfw pynchon is 80 years old and probably a huge racist

>tfw pynchon is 80 years old and probably a huge racist

Other urls found in this thread:

delilahmywoman.com/2016/09/23/shall-i-project-a-world-a-hermetic-analysis-of-the-crying-of-lot-49/
elsewhere.org/journal/pomo/
nytimes.com/books/97/05/18/reviews/pynchon-watts.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

t. someone who's never read a single Pynhon novel

Uhh, he equates sucking a turd to fellating a man of color's penis. That's PRETTY racist.

when he dies we should round up a posse and crash his funeral

he would want it

also op did not read at least Bleeding Edge. OP is dumb

curious what you are trying to say... i've read bleeding edge and it didn't necessarily seem like a proclamation of racial equality

im totally in for the funeral

He was only writing about subconscious psycho-sexual power dynamics that were already in existence. I haven't read Masoch but I think his ultimate degradation comes when he forced into the service of black maids. He alludes heavily to Severin throughout that scene, and piles all Freudian and sexual fetishism research of the interceding 150+ years on top of it.

People are so disturbed by it cause it pinches a nerve they don't want, shall we say, pynched ;^)

Me too. Someone needs to watch the obituaries.

Although, hold on, there's no way in hell that we'll know of Pynchon's death in the newspaper. It will come out in a short note from the family three months later, at least. We'll have to find some other way of sniffing out when he goes.

I know you're memeing, but just on the off chance you aren't: Portraying racist characters =\ being racist

we need some user stalker from /b/ or /x/

We'll know when he finally stops promoting his work here

he's already been dead for 10 years

pynchon is in the american curriculum he doesn't need promotion

there is a guy on r/thomaspynchon who claimed to live in the same building as him

But he wants to be surw to be read by cool cats all over the globe.

we need to contact him
then who was phone

I don't believe you

I worked at the textbook store for a top Ivy

The only Pynchon stocked was Slow Learner -- for a class on DFW, ugh -- and Lot 49 for a lit survey course.

Oh shit, yeah I forgot that DFW secretly wrote the post-GR Pynchon books. I thought that was just a joke when I read it here.

it is a fucking joke, lol

It can't be, otherwise they wouldn't be stocking Slow Learner for a DFW class

dfw was heavily influenced by pynchon. are you dense or something?

but behind every joke... is the truth...

or complete bullshit

I didn't know that. I don't know anything about DFW. But I'd be surprised if his favorite Pynchon book was Slow Learner.

I get the joke xD

What? If he was writing his books today everyone would call him a SJW cuck

Anti-blackness was a pretty big theme of Inherent Vice

>GR
>Jew burns down his own paint factory for the insurance money

everyone over 65 is racist desu

I'm older than I thought

What's the joke ? Because I'm the one who wrote it and I don't get it.

No he doesn't. If you had read the whole thing you would know that he was framed by the Nazis.

I don't.

DFW is slow learner, he is not as mentally capable and smart as Pynchon

I didn't know that about him. Again, I don't know anything about DFW.

It's true... It was bait. Anyway, Slothrop's racial anxiety is arguably more "racist" from an SJW perspective.

I've been reading Survival in Auszchwitz by Primo Levi and there's a heavy scatalogical presence. I'm wondering if Pynchon was influenced at all by Levi's work.
I never see Levi's work discussed, but Survival in Auschwitz has a lot of typical postmodern techniques and was written in, I believe, 1958.

wow, back to back zingers

How stupid do you think people who argue hours on end about the power scale of an author's intelligence on this dying to cancer board you think are

Pynchon's black. Completely obvious when you read the books.

This desu lads.
Fariña obviously modeled Heffalump after Pinecone.

Muh slaves and muh indigenous peoples is a huge theme in M&D.

>Pynchon
>racist

>2016
>not being a racist

Girls won't have sex with you just because you're out-spoken about "loving every human equally".

Hey you guys, thought posters in this thread would appreciate my essay on hermetic symbolism and philosophy in The Crying of Lot 49. delilahmywoman.com/2016/09/23/shall-i-project-a-world-a-hermetic-analysis-of-the-crying-of-lot-49/

We really don't. Pynchon's CL49 is significantly more complex than your criticism of it, which is reductionist hocus-pocus. Crying anticipates and rejects your criticism de facto. You get tricked. The book is metafictional in that Oedipa mirrors the reader and Trystero the book, forcing you to appreciate it not intellectually but aesthetically. Your critique is the ultimate absurdity compared to the beauty and irrationality of the book which is meant to invite but resist all interpretation of it.

BTW, masculine/active and feminine/passive principles and this type of mysticism is very trite and easy, you can apply it to everything, it doesn't have any relation to the outer world but rather to your own neurotic desire to project them on everything.

If you want some interesting principle, consider Gurdjieff's active/passive/reconciling principles.

pynchon is probably a huge SJW honestly

he's 79

is this what it's like to be intelligent and intellectual?

There's a depressing amount of grant proposals involved, too!

>mfw banana captcha

what a Pynchonian response

What the fuck no. No, what? Come on man, no. No. N-O spells no. I mean, come on. DFW never read Pynchon until a decade after he finished Broom of the System. So in answer to your question, no. No. No. No.

>2016
>giving a shit if someone from a previous generation is/was a racist

KYS

>implying the reconciling principle is not just another name for the Spirit Mercurius
>implying your butt is not hurt because you're both saying the same fucking thing in 2 different ways

All mysticism and philosophy is masturbation, there is ultimately nothing but symbolism, its analysis and application. Much like Maxwell's Demon, it all depends on the metaphor, and how well one understands it based on one's social and ego context.

He's probably a Communist sorry

Gurdjieff posits the active and passive and reconciling principles as genuine forms of the manifestation of God which can be observed in certain circumstances, and which, in their manifestations, cause all phenomena existing visible and nonvisible. In most circumstances, however, the action of the forces is invisible, and can only be intuited. An important part of Gurdjieff's Work is in learning to recognize these 3 forces in everything. I.e. overcoming addiction -- desire to overcome addiction is the active force, force of habit is the passive negating force, new knowledge or circumstances introduced by fate forcing one to overcome the addiction is the neutralizing force.

In short, Gurdjieff views it as more than symbolism.

Meanwhile, the "occult" image of the androgyne and the idea of the "union of the masculine and feminine" degrades this teaching by bringing it down to "symbolism and its applications" and trite psychoanalysis and self-help feelgood bullshit. Mercurius may represent the 3rd principle, but he's not paid attention to enough in the trite reductions of Jungianism and alchemy etc. I won't deny that they may have important parallels (Gurdjieffianism and other forms of mysticism), but Gurdjieffianism makes it all nice and clear, where as this other shit is just pseudo wankery IMO.

Also, I'm an asshole today for some reason, go figure.

elsewhere.org/journal/pomo/

this

Judging from his books, I think he might have been a libertarian, i leave you alone and you leave me alone, weed and free love, you know. I have not a clue what he thinks right now, but unless they are terminally pozzed i think smart people gotta have at least some racial consciousness. you know, he's a writer, real erudite, you think he would appreciate western civilization

bump

Why the hell can't I find any Pynchon books that aren't Vineland or his two recent ones?

1. because you don't know libgen
2. because you live in Poland

Would it be a bad idea to read Bleeding Edge as my first Pynchon novel?

I had 10€ to spend in a store and that was the only book worth buying there so i picked it up.

Bleeding Edge was my first Pynchon and I'm still alive today.

Right, I guess I'm just wary of reading a writer's work in the wrong order somehow. I've hear it's a 'minor' Pynchon.

Racism is good ,prove otherwise

Well, it's not like you can't go back to read his previous work. Just have in mind that his greatness is not judged by Bleeding Edge, but by his major novels like GR, M&D or even V. and TCLo49. Those I would recommend to read in order.

>A Pynchon's a racist thread
>No mention of the 1966 article on Watts Riots

For goodnezz sakes you amateurs. Do I have to do everything 'round here?

nytimes.com/books/97/05/18/reviews/pynchon-watts.html

Exactly, he's fucking misinformed or lying. ONE of my English teachers knew who Pynchon was, the rest of the many English teachers I've had had never even heard of him. He's a classic, but not a curricular classic.

I can't remember if it was V or Against the Day, but there was a scene where a hate/race related murder is portrayed very negatively with a long commentary on racism.

Really? I read Crying of Lot 49 for a college course on American Literature.
All of my professors know who Pynchon is. I don't know what shit college you go to dude.

what the fuck I hate you now Pynchon.

>implying Pynchon is any different from any of the other terrible "super smart hippie" authors
Who can we count among these?
>Tom Robbins
>Ken Kesey
>Tom McGuane
>Dick Brautigan
>Tuli Kupferberg
and many, many more.

That's kinda weird in my university (here in Mexico) most of my teachers have read Pynchon.

Will Pynchon publish one more novel before he dies or is Bleeding Edge gonna be it?

I am Thomas Pynchon and I will write a novel about former TV star and her psychofan.

>racism is bad

80 years old aka grew up before the university system was brain washing garbage

the crying of lot 49 is a pretty popular book that is studied in universities, dude

Pynchon is a harmless stoner who watches cartoons and eats cereal all day.

>probably a huge racist

They're definitely not going to have sex with you if you're outspoken about "wanting all kikes and niggers to die."

how come no one says anything about the creepy Bianca subplot in GR

Isn't his wife some big shot in the industry? I'm sure word will get out unless everyone who knows either of them really tries to keep it a secret.

>50 fucking years
>nothing has changed

holy shit America

thx obama

Start with Inherent Vice.

what shim sham of a college did you go to lol