Hey guys, i'm trying to get smarter

Hey guys, i'm trying to get smarter.
Do i automatically get smarter by browsing this board?
Been a Veeky Forums meat head for some time now.
>i just wanna go to uni even though im 3 years behind because i didnt know what i wanted to do with my life so now im trying my hardest to get good enough at math to study pharmacology
>tfw danish so uni is free
I just wanna be one of you guys..

Other urls found in this thread:

cimat.mx/ciencia_para_jovenes/bachillerato/libros/algebra_gelfand.pdf)
cimat.mx/~gil/docencia/2012/calculo/functions_and_graphs_gelfand.pdf)
scribd.com/document/236735923/3-Gelfand-Glagoleva-Kirilov-The-Method-of-coordinates-pdf
users.auth.gr/~siskakis/GelfandSaul-Trigonometry.pdf)
computo.fismat.umich.mx/~fhernandez/Cursos/Calculo2015/spivak.pdf)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pick a book on a topic that interests you. Read the whole thing. Pick another book. Read that one. Continue. That's basically it. Go look at the wiki to find good ones.

You don't get automatically smarter doing anything passively. You have to actively work for it.

>Do i automatically get smarter by browsing this board?
> im trying my hardest to get good enough at math to study pharmacology
The label "meat head" really does suit you

Was joking about the "automatically" part obviously.

So reading books about math would help me out yea?

Don't bully Veeky Forums!

Veeky Forums was practically my homeboard before Pepe happened

Anyway i will help you as a fellow Veeky Forumsizen:
Do exactly what FPBP says, read read and more reading
Instead of browsing some social media like FB, try to investigate about everything you think about it, like how much mass do i have, etc.
Browse more Veeky Forums, but do not reply to the IQ threads, they are just newfags that don't know shit so don't participate on them or else you will become retarded
Listen to more classical music or whatever you like, it sightly makes you smarter but NOT THAT SMART, it will help you study with the memory, etc.
Start self-study, learn intermediate math at Khan Academy and other resources, don't rely on one
Learn more about chemistry as well, not getting into college doesn't stop you from learning chemistry
And finally, do excercise, it will help you oxigenize your brain, thus, it will make you healthier everywhere including your brain
Don't smoke, drink or do drugs either. DON'T FALL FOR THE AMPHETAMINES, one Veeky Forums user almost died because of them, so you better don't do it

That's it, and good luck in your intellectual journey, brah!

thank brah
gonna screen cap this
we're all gonna make it!

You get dumber every second you are on an imageboard.

Start reading some wiki recommended math textbook and actually do the problems. Set up schedules or whatever you did to get Veeky Forums, and just apply that to reading and doing the work. I'd recommend doing it at a library, but that all depends on how focused and determined you are about this. (i.e. the less determined or more distracted should go to the library and study there).
Try not to use online resources too much, only do when you're actually stuck or starting to get lost, there's no point in watching khan academy or watching MIT lectures when the book is working fine. You can waste a full day just watching some guy with a thick accent explain parametric equations and learn absolutely nothing from it.
Also, don't be afraid to ask /sqt/ questions. You'll usually get 2 valid helpful replies and 1-3 sarcastic insults.

>I just wanna be one of you guys..
>pharmacology

This board is already populated by us. And by us I mean mathematics majors. If you make a thread not about mathematics, we shitpost on it. If you make a thread about mathematics but of a lower level than we like (like if you make a calc thread) then we shitpost on it.

You insult our major or career prospects, and we shitpost on it.

I'd recommend finding another board, kid.

I'll find a textbook to do. If theres something i dont know how to solve i'll google it and write it down.
>tfw basically didnt have math for 3 years while in school because school system fucked me up

Did you forget that i was a Veeky Forumsfag?
gimme your lunch money, kid

What math level are you currently at? Rather, what was the name of the last math class you took?

well the danish school system is diffrent from the american one..
i'm about to start highschool which takes 2 years in denmark..
doing 10th grade which is a must if you want to do the 2 year highschool. (its 3 years normally)
Halfway through 10th grade.. so i would almost be half way through an american highschoo which is 4 years.. right?

I'm decent at math right now.. my teacher says i could become good because i learn quick.

i'm 19 years old by the way

Were you held back or did you take a break or something? p. suspicious mate. I was really just asking what the name of the last math course you took was, as in geometry, algebra, precalculus, etc.

course.. it's not really like that.. we just get taught the shit we need to know for the exam.

>my single mother started drinking alot when i was a kid.. it was mess.
>get diagnosed with tourettes (i know..)
>eally mild tics.. none of the meme shouting shit
>having a hard time due to my mothers alcohol abuse
>always fucking drunk
>get put in a new class for 3 years because i had tourettes
>teachers dont give a shit
>they are not even teachers actually
>dont learn a thing for 3 years
i never stood a chance..

What I'm trying to do is figure out where to start you at, but based on this, I'm going to have to assume you need to start at a 9th grade (American 9th grade) level.

Skim through "Algebra" by Gelfand and Shen, and see if there's anything there you don't know. If so, buy the physical book. (cimat.mx/ciencia_para_jovenes/bachillerato/libros/algebra_gelfand.pdf)
Do the same for "Functions and Graphs" by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Shnol (cimat.mx/~gil/docencia/2012/calculo/functions_and_graphs_gelfand.pdf)
And the same for "The Method of Coordinates" by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Kirillov (scribd.com/document/236735923/3-Gelfand-Glagoleva-Kirilov-The-Method-of-coordinates-pdf I think it's only a 73 page preview, but you should get the point anyway)
And "Trigonometry" by Gelfand and Saul (users.auth.gr/~siskakis/GelfandSaul-Trigonometry.pdf)
And "Basic Mathematics" by Lang, which is actually a rather popular book here (can't find a good pdf, but if you knew everything before this book anyway, this would likely be where you are now. I recommend getting this first, as it goes over a lot)
After that, get Calculus Vol I & II by Apostol or Calculus by Spivak, or Calculus early transcendentals by Stewart. I'd recommend Stewart for you.
After this, you're pretty much set for what you want to do.

You actually get dumber on this board if you don't know what's bulshit ahead of time.

wew lad math major must really be useless to promote these levels of insecurity

Dont know the american school system too well..
but i should be in uni in 2.5 years.

will screencap this aswell
thanks man

and thanks for taking the time to find all the links aswell!
gonna have to do A level maths in half a year. hopefully i will be done reading all of this by that time.
thanks!

>hopefully i will be done reading all of this by that time
What exactly is A level maths? Also, I gave you about 4-5 years of math, and you could likely go through all 6 of those in a year, (based on my speed, I self taught calculus in 3 months and took an algebra/geometry class online to skip ahead which lasted 3 months, so assuming everything's the same difficulty, this would be half a year), but if you have to actually learn everything up to calculus in half a year, you might want to take another year break.

So i can take A, B or C level math at my school. A level is the hardest. I need to have passed A level maths to study pharmacology at a uni.

I'm just gonna learn as much as i can. I have untill august actually.

If i get an A on my maths exam in 10th grade i should be able to handle A levels in highschool.

Also test yourself using a timer. This will help you think faster about the things.

Ah, I see. Also, in my last post I meant "assuming everything's the same difficulty, this would be a full* year"
You should be good, then.

If, for some reason, you want to go further into math, I'd recommend reading a book on proofs right after calc (or in between), and then reading a book on linear algebra. It'd be best if you asked people in /sqt/ for their recommendations for these when that time comes. Also, you should read through the pdf (or the actual book) of spivak (computo.fismat.umich.mx/~fhernandez/Cursos/Calculo2015/spivak.pdf) instead of Stewart, that is, if you do plan on going into higher math. Spivak is much more rigorous than Stewart, and will obviously be much harder, and in turn, you'll get a solid foundation for higher math (you'd definitely need to read a book on proofs before this book). I'm just telling you this in case all this math grows on you.

Thanks for the help man
are you in uni at the moment?

Yeah, I'm currently majoring in EE, but I've always loved Math.

Nice man
Good luck with the future! thanks for all the help