Why would someone use the word cunctation instead of procrastination?

Why would someone use the word cunctation instead of procrastination?

Why would someone wear a scrappy bandana with a suit shirt and a tie?

Why would someone bother with the high maintenance of having straight long hair instead of just cutting it regularly?

Why would someone write an excessively long and overly interpretive piece of prose the length of which only contributes to it being more muddled, less clear and less accessible?

I can think of one reason: That person has nothing really deep or important to say. That person gets by purely on being different, on cultivating eccentricities often associated with genius rather than cultivating any sort of wisdom. This is the sort of shit hipsters do: They try to be perceived as intellectuals through style rather than substance.

Oh, sure, don't get me wrong: The commentary on addiction, comparing it to a movie that is so good you can't stop watching it, that's pretty clever. And sure, he's valuable in his ability to transcribe introspection. He clearly understands misery and how literally everything can be perceived as negative. But that's sort of a contributing factor to his lack of any real depth: The fact that he was a thirty year old angsty teenager.

Take someone like Vonnegut, who actually suffered, who actually had to learn some wisdom from living a life full of both physiological and psychological abuse. He writes a lot about the depressing reality of an indifferent universe, sure, but a major theme in a lot of his books is how the best, most successful, of people are able to rise above the misery and be happy in spite of an uncaring cosmos. His books are also shorter, and say significantly more.

Speaking of Vonnegut: The inspiration for his recurring character Kilgore Trout was not just fellow sci-fi author Theodore Sturgeon, but a comment by editor Knox Burger who said 'the problem with sci-fi as a genre is that it's always more entertaining to hear the premise explained than to read the actual story'. So Vonnegut spared people the trouble of reading a story that would be mostly filler by summarizing it through Kilgore Trout. The difference between that and a book like Infinite Jest? Well, brevity is the soul of wit. If you have to struggle to decipher that there's this film cartridge that is basically on par with addictive chemicals over pages of text it strikes you as a lot less clever than 'Kilgore Trout rifled through the rack of adult magazines to find one of his stories about a movie that was so entertaining people couldn't stop watching it and eventually died'.

When will you admit to yourself that while DFW was certainly a good writer, he's nothing special, and that the lengthiness of his work that you find so appealing is actually what stops him from being as good as you people seem to think he is?

dfw is reddit tier shit

Did DFW dip skoal?

Look at his sock.

>Why would someone bother with the high maintenance of having straight long hair instead of just cutting it regularly?

Are you kidding? I have long hair precisely because I'm fucking lazy and I hate going to get haircuts. All I do is put shampoo in my hair and that's it.

It's getting your hair constantly cut that is high maintenance.

yeah that's definitely a dip container. you don't want to keep it in your pocket

How come there are so few pictures of DFW smoking or using tobacco products? He reminds me of a suburban dad.

I listened to the interview with his sister. She said that one time he tried to have his hair in a top bun, and everyone in his family had to tell him it was a stupid thing to do. He literally had no idea.

Agreed. Its only appeal is to pseudo-intellectuals who think the thicker the book the smarter they look.

damn i've never seen that ass in the background holy shit

While I agree that DFW was a good writer but not outstanding by any means, I actually find his lame suburban dad vibe to be kind of endearing. There's nothing less cool than being seen trying to be cool, and his bandana and long hair to me are signs of a dorky guy just trying to figure it out, revealing authenticity in a sort of backwards way. Compare this to the posturing of Neil Gaiman for example.

You had me until you mentioned Vonnegut, then I realized the entire post is just a pseud projecting his own self loathing

Vonnegut is for this

he probably did it ironically

>It's getting your hair constantly cut that is high maintenance.

Wrong. A buzzcut is easily the most practical haircut. You don't even have to go to a barber, a friend or family member can do it for you. You barely need to shampoo it, it dries in two seconds and you don't need to brush it or maintain it in any way. You could even get away with skipping a morning shower in a bind. You have long hair because you like the way it looks or the image it conveys.

You conveyed that really well, it's a good point and a different angle

>then I realized the entire post is just a pseud projecting his own self loathing
>in a dfw thread
that's not a very good defense. and to be fair, vonnegut isn't bad because he's well liked by idiots. if that were a standard of criticism, nietzsche would be harry potter tier.

Franzen is even taller than Big Dave, wow.

How tall is DFW or Franzen?

Long hair is second easiest behind a buzz cut. If you don't have your own clippers long hair is what happens to the lazy.

Zadie.

DFW was 6'0 according to the autopsy report online

>It's getting your hair constantly cut that is high maintenance

I go to the barber once every couple of months and it takes her 15 minutes to cut it short again. I never even wash my hair with shampoo and I rarely have to comb it. If you amortize twenty bucks over ~60 days then it's not that much money and is worth it for people not to see my weird scalp

>She said that one time he tried to have his hair in a top bun, and everyone in his family had to tell him it was a stupid thing to do.
How far ahead of the curve can one guy be?

Memed hard

>tfw you will never snort coke off Zadie Smith's fine ass

I get my hair cut about once a year. I admit that buzz cuts are probably even lower maintenence, but I don't have clippers and my girlfriend reckons I'd look button ugly with a buzz cut cause of my fat face and huge neck.

This.

Is it not enough my mom buys my clothes? I wont stand telling people my mom also cuts my hair.
I cant even imagine actually asking her and then suffering the unspoken pity those that will find out will feel for me.

Because he's a cunct.

>Oh, sure, don't get me wrong: The commentary on addiction, comparing it to a movie that is so good you can't stop watching it, that's pretty clever.

See now this is where I realized your opinion is a joke. It's not clever, actually it's imported from various other sources (folk/ religious myths etc) which, If you read the book past the probable 150 pages, would know. Secondly, the thing with the videotape - 'Infinite Jest' in the novel is that it really isn't one of the more relevant plots in there nor the themes associated with it. Also if you think he compares watching IJ with addiction or dependency you missed the depth of what the book is trying to tell you

Idk but look at that hottie in the back