What is the most disturbing implication of String Theory?

What is the most disturbing implication of String Theory?

-1/12 is a more important constant than e

that there are people who legitimately believe it

That our entire universe could just be the worldvolume of D10-brane.

Research in high energy particle physics follows unpromising paths too easily.

You can go out on a sketchy number.

None, physical theories don't allow us to make metaphysical claims.

It implies there's a loom,rope kys theory that must be unified with it.

Metaphysical?

multiple universes

that you take Gate Notes seriously.

if string theory is real it means that im made of strings

This post is wrong for two reasons. And for the record, I am not the OP.

1) You falsely believe that a physical theory has to rise to the level of metaphysics in order to have "disturbing implications". This is not necessary, and indeed the OP never required a discussion of metaphysics, you made that up on your own only for it to get nuked now. The idea that the sun will go supernova and one day destroy the earth is in principle a sort of disturbing implication, even when we allow that we won't be around to see it. And this because on some level, one doesn't like to imagine the annihilation of one's home. Another sort of theory in physical science, insofar as chemistry, biology etc are downstream of physics, a current taboo, is the notion that there are racial differences in intelligence. The disturbing implication of this is (for those who find it disturbing, again, there is a certain subjectivity to what is disturbing and what you must above all do is to acknowledge in principle that of course /someone, somewhere/ does find these things disturbing even if you yourself claim not to) is that sentient human beings find it convenient and/or necessary to cordon themselves off from one another, kill each other savagely, and so on. In a word, the disturbing implication of this taboo idea is that humans carry on as usual.

2) It isn't even true for you to try to do an end-run out of this cornering along the lines of "metaphysics is by definition /next to/ physics, /not the same thing as physics/ etc, and the reason why that is so is because one never really steps outside of the physical universe. You might imagine a logical space of some kind, but even these considerations are motivated by masses of sensory input of some some kind. The right frame on all this is that the content of the ideas of metaphysics are presupposed by physics, and not the other way round, as metaphysics would like to imply.

Good God has there ever been such a smug, self righteous post on Veeky Forums?

This applies to you whether you are the person that I had replied to above, or not.

somewhere out there she loves me back

>He thinks he's loveable in [math] any [/math] universe.

>Good God has there ever been such a smug,
>self righteous post on Veeky Forums?
...several, so far.

mai waifu might be right to me and I'd still die alone.

That with sufficiently sharp scissors we could destroy the universe

/thread

According to some book I read the amount of extra dimensions string theorists posit are somewhat disturbing because of their contrast to the physically observed dimensionality of space and the functional freedom introduced by these extra dimensions.

I guess the bottom line is that string theorists like to tailor their theories according to what's nice mathematically, while disregarding or sweeping under the rug any physical inconsistencies that arise. They get away with it by just saying something along the lines of "oh it's too small to observe".

However, I didn't understand enough to actually say anything very concrete... a semi-popsci textbook isn't really a good place to learn and string theory is too difficult to tackle without sufficient background.

String Theory doesn't have any implications.

>string theory
>implying implications (predictions)
shiggity diggity doo

>string theory
>implying implications (predictions)
shiggity diggity doo

>string theorists like to tailor their theories according to what's nice mathematically, while disregarding or sweeping under the rug any physical inconsistencies that arise.

Kind of the opposite. String theorists don't throw in 6 extra dimensions modeled by Calabi-Yau 3-folds because they are mathematically nice, they add them in because it creates phenomenologically realistic string theories.

That you can make up completely unvalidated crap and be praised for it.

In some reality, she gives me better head.

...so far.

Lol

I come to Veeky Forums for posts like this.

String theory is a great example of a religion which prances around as pseudoscience.

Good, God, you did very good.

That funding and resources are still being plowed into this dead end.

great pic

>Good God has there ever been such a smug, self righteous post on Veeky Forums?

No, user. She juts rejects you in infinitely many ways

(1) For the record, this isn't the guy you were answering to

(2) I agree with your 1)

(3) About 2) : I agree that we are phenomenologically bounded to our sensory inputs but this means that we can never truly imagine and understand objects that defy our limited range of perceptions, not that we can't define them by negation or by some other way (preschool example : imagining colours that aren't in the spectrum of visible light). Such items therefore remain as undefinable in the current state, and there isn't much to it other than that.
As such, you can't say that metaphysics are solely defined on physics, for the simple reason that the existence of objects that belong to realm outside of our phenomenological perceptions, if they exist, remains unprovable.