What's the one book that, if someone hasn't read...

What's the one book that, if someone hasn't read, leads you to discredit the rest of their claim of being an avid reader and their opinion on literature at large?

epic of Gılgamesh

>be argentinian
>live in argentina
>talk to some qt
>she tells me she loves literature and bookshops
>hasnt read borges and mistakes him for cortazar

JUST

the holy bible

This

>Name a book
>The holy library

The bible is not one book, retard. Might as well name a compendium that includes the entire western canon.

Jesus Christ.
I bet she was into YA shit

Book
noun
a written or printed work consisting of pages glued or sewn together along one side and bound in covers.

Don Quijote

Lolita

Moby Dick really. It's the one book that everyone has heard of and should at some point read.

good job, he said one book. you fucking retard

>has to be bound in covers
shiggy

This.
>the fucking dictionary

There is no such book. And if there were it damn sure wouldn't be infinite jest.

None, but Crime and Punishment would be closest I guess.

so if I download a pdf of the bible and put it on my kindle it's not a book?

Don Quixote or Crime and Punishment. I go out of my way to tell people not to buy infinite jest.

>he isn't waiting ten years to read the second half
on year 3

>Crime and Punishment
karamazov was better on every level

Too long for most avid readers. These are more essential books that well read by the world population.

There aren't any.

I thought about doing that but then I realized how fucking autistic it is

considering the general assessment of someone yeah you're right
>fox and grapes

I don't think that many have read le k bros but not cunt & penis.

If its gotta be only one from the bible, id say genesis or psalms

if they haven't read at least one classic from their own countries (that is, if they have a literary tradition), you can pretty much discard their opinion

Bible or something by Shakespeare or Paradise Lost.

THIS

bullshit concept OP. Life is short, people don't have time to read everything good.

But if there's any ONE litmus test, at least in the English-speaking world, its when someone says they think Shakespeare is "overrated." This is the most popular obviously-wrong contrarian opinion that people have about literature, its almost a coded way of saying "I don't read anything good"

agreed

yes so anything bound in a single volume would do
thats called an e-book

Anything that is a classic. If they haven't read a classic but are passionate in the books they like to discuss then I'll take their credit for that author.

Have patience and wait for her to read them both. Meanwhile fuck the shit out of her.

my diary desu

>tfw havnt read anons diary

i am defeated

Bible, Dante, Shakespeare, Joyce. Pick two

Shakespeare and Joyce obv.

Where can i read it?

King James Version and at least some Shakespeare