Why are Americans so arrogant...

Why are Americans so arrogant? They know there's a whole world out there but they just assume they have the best writers for some odd reason...

Look Americans. Writing is something that doesn't require a lot of money and there are a lot of countries in this world. Billions of people. You can't just assume that all good writers are in your country. Even if you are prejudiced and think only the first world can have good writers. You are also not the only First world country.

Can you provide evidence that Americans think this?

I've never thought that but thanks for conforming the inferiority complex of outsiders.

It's just the feeling I have after browsing this board for some time.

*confirming

is this another one of those
>who /nobel committee/ here?
threads?

What? People here talk more about Greek and Russian authors. You must be new.

Americans have the largest inferiority complex in Earth. That's why they cling to their ancestry and pretend they are still irish/american/african or whatever. The American identity is hedonism and nothing to be proud of. We Britons have culture beyond the Golden Arches.

Hey, I'm American, and I don't speak whatever the language is in the filename, but I'm no idiot, so I deduced that it probably translates to "Portrait of Dante." So I thought, hmmm, let me punch this guy's name into Google, and after a few minutes I was able to determine that the guy in the picture is Dante Alighieri, and that he was a poet of some repute in Italy. I went to Amazon and searched for his name and a bunch of books came up, mostly translations of one of his poems, The Divine Comedy. I don't read books in translation, but if they ever make a movie of The Divine Comedy, I'll be sure to purchase a ticket. Thank you for bringing to this board's attention the long-lost and underappreciated works of Dante Aliwhatever, Italian poet. You're a hero.

The thread is not about Dante. It's just an random image Veeky Forums related to go with the thread. I'm sure Veeky Forums is aware of Dante.

xD ebin trolling

I think some people here argue that America put some of the best post WW-II stuff. And I don't think all Americans even believe that. I'm an American and fairly well read. I happen to believe this is true (of the western world at least). Pre-WW2, I don't think that's the case at all. And even now I'm not too sure. I think Japan is putting out a whole lot of fantastic stuff. I think "the country producing the most work with literary merit" is probably up in the air.

americans often win, there fore they assume they are right, and indeed world is dominated by american culture

>and indeed world is dominated by american culture
That is changing, inshallah desu

That's cute af user

But Veeky Forums is for people who really are into literature. And people who are really into literature should have a neutral view on what is the best literature instead of narrow nationalistic views?

True.

What... few people think they are still Irish unless they are second or third generation, or it is St. Patrick's day. As for black people I have met a few who despise the phrase"African American" because they feel little connection with Africa at all, just as many Americans don't think much of which country their great great great grandfather came over from.

Veeky Forums likes the idea of literature. it's mostly pseuds. it's sad that it's the best active place to discuss lit on the internet.

Shit tier bait.

America definitely has had the best film makers though.

It's not bait. It's the impression I have after all this time on Veeky Forums

>had
Key word.

No other nation can beat America in entertainment, true, but, as DFW himself was used to say, entertainment is like candy. It's good once in a while. America is basically a shallow country. Let's face it. Pynchon is shallow, he's just style over substance. And this is just one example. This is the main reason American are so good at making films and TV series - pictures, visual representation works better for them.

Current American generations don't give a shit about ancestral identity outside of vapid small talk which happens to be most of American conversation which may be why you're confused. Americans are Irish/French/German like their shoes are Jordan or their purse is Prada or their personality is like kind or generous. The real American identity is categorical. To give the majority of American's the philosophy of Hedonism is generous.

>read, and discuss translations of Dante, Tolstoy, Cervantes, Virgil, Homer, Mishima, etc
>a topic about translated Joyce, DFW or Pynchon appears
>FUCKING PLEB HAHA TRANSLATIONS SUCKS FUCKING RETARDS

yeah, amerilards are truly the worst

And why do you assume everyone on this board is American? What the fuck?

Also, if we're being honest, how many countries can claim a work of literature on par with something like Moby-Dick, for example, or The Sound and The Fury. Sure there are many, but definitely not every "first world country" to use your own outmoded language.

America is the best because we're the richest. Chinks are catching up, but they'll never be as good because their language is optimized for conversation.

I'm not part of the anti america circlejerk, I'm from UK for context, but I wouldn't say American's are especially great at Film and TV so much as they have a commercial choke hold on the industry.

Sure America has Lynch, Coens and PTA, just to name the main three of the 21st century (maybe plus Malick if you just look at Tree of Life), but if you look at critical best of lists such as Sight and Sound and the recent BBC Culture poll, foreign films are still highly regarded despite the shit tier funding they get.

Basically I don't think that just because America has monopoly on film production means they're actually good at it, in fact I think the vast majority of American film money is wasted on utter pleb tier work.

Americans think we have the best writers because we can relate the most with them. It's like how many female readers tend to read female novelists and many male readers tend to read make novelists. It's not insane to think we have the best writers. Don't act like you feel writers of your nationality are better either. Plus, most people recognize there are fantastic books written by non-Americans

This is perhaps the most English post I've ever seen on Veeky Forums

Everyone should be like that wrt their own culture.

It's pretty much what a culture is.

hnng sauce