I'm an Electrical Engineering major, junior

I'm an Electrical Engineering major, junior.

What formulas/useful information would be best to put up on my wall near my desk?
I figured instead of bland ass boring inspirational pictures, I'd rather put something useful that I'd glance at from time to time, and adding information from the poster to my brain memory over time.

I'm going to be taking a class that uses the book "Fundamentals of Electronics" by Schubert and Kim.

And first chapter is about op-amps, so I thought maybe put up different amplifier characteristics? But it's so short, the dimensions of my poster are: 34 cm in width and 126 cm long (or 13.4" x 49").
Any other suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

efo.ru/components/avago/catalog/files/pdf/5989-2648EN.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_analysis_(electrical_circuits)
amazon.com/Fundamentals-Electric-Circuits-Charles-Alexander/dp/0073380571
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

motor and transformer models and formulas

Well, I don't think I'd be learning about that next semester, maybe during my senior year if I choose an elective...
Would that even be useful to me as an electrical engineer?

what kind of shit tier uni you go that you don't even learn about fucking transformers. holy FUCK

It's going to be extremely useful to you. it's probably on your programme. look it up. electrical machines. god

can you give the link to formulas? I don't want to end up adding unnecessary stuff, I'd also prefer some schematics + formulas, ya know.

Calm your autism.

>just give me the formulas

Shit like this is why engineers have such a bad name on Veeky Forums.

If you actually take the time to read the goddamn material, you'll be able to figure out pretty quickly which formulas and models are important.

You'll figure it out as you go. Just getting formulas now without anything else would be useless.

I decided to just skim through ebook and insert all the big tables from it

How difficult is the math in electrical engineering? Specifically, what courses are required for the degree and what kind of mathematics would be used in the work field?
I would like to major in it however I was never great at math. I'm sure with enough studying I can learn the formulas.

V = IR
P = IV

Everything else is learned on the job. Welcome to engineering.

Shit man I can be an electrical engineer!
But wait why the hell would I do that?

damn its hella crazy how different circuit components literally make math happen in reality

Literally everything dude up to Calc 3 and DiffyQ
And all the math is involving complex values.
So lots of exponents, i, and trig shit.

Please consider a different major no offense.

For math you'll be doing mainly Fourier, Laplace, differential equations (first few orders), trigonometry and complex numbers. Most elementary subjects use that and then afterwards math difficulty depends on what you specialize. Personally I think signal processing has the most demanding math.

You can squeeze through by being bad at math if you get subjects that more depend on logical thinking (things like digital electronics, PLC programming (automation) etc.). Practical problems and so on. The most important thing that you need in EE is the ability to solve problems you haven't encountered by applying laws you've learned previously.

You'll need this a lot.

>What formulas/useful information would be best to put up on my wall near my desk?
The ones you have derived yourself and don't want to do again.
Don't even even think for a second that you can be anything more than an average shitter at the same level as business majors, no actually lower, if you can't derive shit for yourself.

So go and learn yourself some math, including CS shit, because circuits are graphs and numerical methods can be used to solve them.

Start modeling shit in something like OpenModelica using ODEs and PDEs. Learn math! Do some proofs too, at least on a basic level. It helps with thinking!

>Transformers
Transformers are used for coupling; impedance matching, etc. It's basic electrical theory. Most likely Physics I/II + more advanced stuff in electrical theory classes like proper two-port models with frequency dependence. Power classes are gonna be about power transformers.

Regarding their physics; that's what differentiates a shitty EE from someone who actually has some (basic) skills. You should be able to derive the equations for at least the simple cases like the basic ratios, because that's basically intro physics course level.

Regarding the picture in your OP. For fucks sake derive that yourself, otherwise you won't know how an opamp works.

Don't get me wrong, it will take years for you to have a broad understanding, but this is what they're going to teach you (unless they're utter shit). EE is a combination of very applied knowledge and applied physics. In fact, most engineering fields are if you want to do it right.

Don't be one of those "Just give me the formulas!" retard. The mistakes they make is laughable. This reminds me, did I ever tell you about noise (EMI/EMC) ?

Your laplace/fourier transforms.

>bad name on Veeky Forums
Try bad name everywhere

He almost certainly already memorized that though? I mean, you really only have to remember 1/8th of the unit circle and the symmetries, and considering you discuss trigonometry in pre-calc and all three calculus classes, all of which are required for any STEM degree, it's basically impossible to have not memorized it.

Honestly, inspirational posters are probably going to be better for your psyche than an cliche poster with Maxwell's equations or something

If your classes are worth a fuck, exam problems will not be plug and chug equations so a poster is worthless

Also, junior year is when EE starts. Your general physics, circuit theory, and basic electronics classes aren't worth anything. Good luck

>And first chapter is about op-amps, so I thought maybe put up different amplifier characteristics?
Pro-tip: Op-Amps ain't shit
efo.ru/components/avago/catalog/files/pdf/5989-2648EN.pdf

>"It's going to be extremely useful to you. it's probably on your programme. look it up. electrical machines. god"
Electric machines is an easy class, fag. Know anything about faults?

>"Try bad name everywhere"
hot opinion

I don't know this. I have a calculator everywhere I go. Literally the most pointless information in the world.

if you want to get someting EE related on your wall get an old service manual with a full fold-out schematic

they are dirt cheep sometimes

Any suggestions on how or where to search?

I'm at a CC studying to be an EE, I plan on transferring after finishing my GEs along with specifically Calc iii, Differential Eqs, Linear Algebra, and General Physics. I'm also considering a Circuit Analysis course. Is there anything I should study as to not get my shit wrecked? Like a text?

>considering a circuit analysis course

Considering? You're going to NEED circuit analysis where you're headed. For the basics, start with simple resistive networks with DC voltage and current sources. Practice and get good at the main circuit analysis techniques: Nodal/Mesh analysis, superposition, Thevenin/Norton's theorem, voltage/current division, equivalent circuits, etc. Once you get really confident doing these problems for resistive circuits, add in capacitors and inductors and start re-learning the basic techniques for AC analysis. You will need a good understanding of complex numbers for this.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff, it's late. Wikipedia has a pretty decent overview of a bunch of the stuff I'm talking about here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_analysis_(electrical_circuits)

This is the textbook that was used in my circuit analysis classes:
amazon.com/Fundamentals-Electric-Circuits-Charles-Alexander/dp/0073380571

...I'm not sure how it compares to other textbooks, but I turned out fine, so it's at least all right. You can probably find it on libgen.

easy to memorize like this

[math] \displaystyle
\begin{matrix}
angle & sin & cos \\
0 & \sqrt{0}/2 & \sqrt{4}/2 \\
\pi/6 & \sqrt{1}/2 & \sqrt{3}/2 \\
\pi/4 & \sqrt{2}/2 & \sqrt{2}/2 \\
\pi/3 & \sqrt{3}/2 & \sqrt{1}/2 \\
\pi/2 & \sqrt{4}/2 & \sqrt{0}/2
\end{matrix}
[/math]

cool, thanks man

>This reminds me, did I ever tell you about noise (EMI/EMC) ?

please share

ebay

What is this shit? What happened to reactance?

Also, frequency domain, very important. If you're still in DC mode, and you come across differential equations for capacitors and inductors, don't bother slapping them on a wall because Laplace will render them completely obsolete.

this. you also will want to review op-amps. and def take that shit at CC (make sure it will transfer, obviously) so you don't have to pay uni tuition rates for it.

>tfw Computer Engineer here and I did this shit on the lab
i hate pajeet shit

It is not so pointless when doing wave physics my friend

>I'm going to be taking a class that uses the book "Fundamentals of Electronics" by Schubert and Kim.
>first chapter is about op-amps
kek
Don't be a pussy and put Maxwell's equations.