Comfy books

i know it has become a meme on this board, but can we get some comfy book recs?

i didn't really think much about it until i read the sun also rises. i quite liked it. anything similar to that?

There's a Yasunari Kawabata thread at the moment. Good stuff there.

beautiful painting

I think Calvino books are quite comfy

mr sammler's planet -- saul bellow
falling angels -- barbara gowdy

Suttree. Have faith in it and really try to visualize what you're reading.

I read the stranger today and it was quite comfy in an absurd way. Like you weren't sure what was happening but neither was Marsault, and you both found that funny. Not sure I understood it fully but I enjoyed it.

been away. just watched the grand budapest hotel
ive been meaning to check his stuff out, ill have to find a book of his

thanks, ill look into these

read it a couple of weeks ago. i felt sorta the same way about. mersault was similar to jake in a way. quiet and detached. but it gets less comfy as the book progresses. the conversation with the prison priest was slightly disturbing and definitely painful.

that's a good idea. had to read it in like 9th grade and dismissed it entirely. ah, to be as sure and simple as a youth.

going to sleep. hope this thread still here when i wake up. if it is, but is dead, i will revive it with more quality pieces of art.

Just started reading
'Raise High the Roof Beam Carpenters' by Salinger and would def classify it as comfy reading. Also post more art

Seekers by Erin Hunter is just a comfy book series about a bunch of bear cubs running around with a supernatural shapeshifting bear cub on an eco mission.

ooh nice. okay more art comin bub

to me that sounds awful but i hope you enjoy it and thank you for taking time out of your day to recommend something.

Why did you find the priest conversation disturbing? I must be missing something.

at one point, when meursault starts yelling at the priest theres the sentence, "He wasn't even sure he was alive, because he was living like a dead man." that just hit me. meursault yelled that at the priest, but it so obviously applied to meursault.

idk, i cant make head or tails of that book, but i liked it. that was just a spot that hit me,

Dubliners, especially The Dead, Araby, Eveline.

thanks friend. my local used bookstore has two sections of a shelf stocked only with joyce. ill get dubliners next time i head there.

The Waves. If you consider crying for 200 pages to be comfy.

His book If On a Winter's Night a Traveler, is exceptionally comfy.

hey misery loves company i guess.

you can't even imagine the level of comfiness in this book

A Secret History
New York Trilogy
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle/Norweigan Wood/Kafka on the Shore

Invisible Cities is very comfortable, particularly if you're urban

Are you 11 years old

This

And the first volume of In Search of Lost Time, which is just wonderful.

I have a fond spot for the Aubrey/Maturin series. Sailing around the world, shooting the french and having bants.

comfi = comfortable?

Seconding this. pre-war Nip-lit in general is very comfy.

im back. i really need to do a better job monitoring my own threads.

anyway, anything specifically like the sun also rises?

>lots of dialogue
>friends
>social conflict
>general feeling of melancholy

Stoner.

Of Mice and Men, kek

yeah those are both great books.

Picked this up from a used book store. It sounds very intriguing. Can anyone attest to its comfy level?

On a side note, The Book of the New Sun is proving a very comfy Autumn series.

Can second wind up bird. I read it once a year. Probably my confuse book.

ty

I was going to buy this book before, then forgot, thanks for the reminder.

Ray Bradbury's short stories feel comfortable to read because the prose is simple and poetic, while the short story form makes is easy to digest without investing much time into.

I'll also suggest Raymond Chandler if you are at all into crime fiction and post-war L.A.

The archive. An endless supply of comfy book threads.

yeah chandler is great. ive read most of his Marlowe novels. everything of note except the little sister maybe.

The Sorrows of Young Werther was pretty comfy, aside from all of the sorrow.
The book is mostly letters from the main character to a friend, and the day to day aspect, with Werther describing all of the events and things he did with his friends, and commenting on them was pretty comfy. That adds to the sorrow as well. It's comfy most of the time though.

Huckleberry Finn is the comfiest book I've read in a long while. The Southern vernacular is so immersive and feels like going to grandma's house to eat cookies to me. Every one of the shenanigans Huck and Jim get in are just loads of fun, and then you get a good laugh at the king and the duke, and you get to think about niggers and not feel guilty. As Huck says, you feel mighty free and easy and comfortable on a raft.

Any comfy books that will make me feel what it's like to have the companionship of a girl? Be it a friend or a sister. I'm very lonley :(

sorrow and comfiness often go hand in hand

i really should read this again. hated it in 10th grade so it's probably right up my alley now.

I think that's A Good Man is Hard to Find. The scene has always stuck with me.

pretty sure it is. you can see the grandma's cat in the foreground. who knows tho all the pictures ive been posting i found on Veeky Forums at one time ro another.