Entropy

What is it? Its units are energy per unit Temperature-mass (I.e. kJ/kg•K) so it's technically a measure of energy. But entropy is always generated no matter what so is this the same as saying that energy is being created? That breaks the fundamental law of the universe though so this can't be.

I learned that it is a measure of energy which is unusable; that which is disorderly and cannot be formed into useful work energy. But that brings me back to my original question? If it's generated then how does this get past the fundamental law?

Honey, you're opening Pandora's box right now. There are entire courses on entropy alone.

To help answer your question, no it does not break the law of conservation of energy. In terms of a mechanical system, a steam engine for example, there must always be a heat transfer out process to return the system to it original state, but both the source and sink exchange the same amount of energy, one losing energy and the other gaining the same amount (assuming no friction and no ambient losses).

In terms of the whole universe, energy is always conserved even if it is distributed evenly, down to individual molecules and atoms. Whether it be the kinetic energy or even potential energy between individual atoms, it's always conserved.

Sure you could go out into deep space in 10 trillion years after the heat-death of the universe and scoop up a bag of seemingly nothing, whatever little particals you scoop up would still have SOME amount of energy to it. The issue is that the amount energy is so negligible, that it would have no meaning to us; no practical use or purpose.

Not sure if that fully answered your question, but hopefully it clears some things up.

Entropy is disorder

Entropy is essentially a transformation of energy in a system so no problems with conservation.

Also, temperature is a measure of velocity, so entropy is closer to being unit less than anything.

Entropy and exergy are just property user, property's of a physical system that correspond to certain kinds of behavioral outcomes of systems in macro.

Entropy: property that shit decays, not vice versa

Exergy: Property that allows one to analyze the efficiency of a mechanical system wherein the engines have equal inputs of energy.

Entropy measures the uncertainty in a system. At the quantum level this leads to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principal. On the macroscopic side, Godel's Incompleteness Theorem implies that entropy always increases.

lmao

>Entropy was a mistake.
- Nicolas Carnot, 1828

Is this a legit quote? If it is what does it mean?

excellent post

Carnot was a [math] Q_{T} \ln { \frac {e^{ \pi + 1} } { e } } [/math] desu

I read something on stackexchange that really made me think.

Given that time is relative, we could theoretically create local "bubbles" in which the arrow of time is reversed and entropy runs in reverse. This would of course take vast amounts of energy, but that's something we could potentially have in the foreseeable future.

If we recycle these bubbles infinitely, moving from one to another as we rewind time inside each successively as we go, we could potentially exist in them forever, even if the larger universe around us disappears.

Entropy is statistics. It's built on statistical probability. There are no laws of nature that dictate why if we open a box of ozone it doesn't form a cock-shaped cloud and quiver around the room a couple of times before settling back into the box, it's just that this is extremely unlikely. We call this unlikeliness "entropy".

What an image...

lol no

It's a meme

Can i say that entropy at a macroscopic level, is energy in the form of heat that gets lost from a system irretrievably, i mean, isnt that what clausius' inequallity means? pic not related

So what I'm understanding is that entropy is only a measure of the energy in a system which is unusable and cannot be efficiently applied to any sort of thermal process. Is this correct?

How do you get from time is relatavistic to time can flow backwards in a closed system? Brainlet memeing is raunchy.

I thought it was shown experimentally that entropy can be reversed on very small scales. This would just be doing it on a somewhat larger scale (using a nearly limitless energy source like fusion). I know it can't be reversed globally, because decreased entropy has to come at the expense of increased entropy elsewhere inside the system.

that's bullshit my man.

entropy predates statistical mechanics.

Time can't flow backwards, my dude.

>it's just that this is extremely unlikely

it's a big box

It's the logarithm of the multiplicity of states up to a factor of Boltzmann's constant.

It's basically a measurement of how many possible energy arrangements a system can take.

Entropy can decrease. Its just the net entropy of the system must always increase.

It makes perfect sense if you consider an expanding universe from all mass concentrated in a single point. Universe expands, things move apart, react with each other, ever more untidy as the universe continues to expand forever.

wat

It is literally disorder