Poetry is dead

As a medium of cultural conveyance, poetry has run its course. There will be no great poet of the 21st century, because poetry can no longer be great.

Our time is that of the novel. It is inescapable. Not the short story, not the play, but the novel. Nobody will be remembered within the context of literature who wrote anything other than an immensely popular and well-received novel. When considering what were the works of "high culture" from this period of time, nobody will point to any poem or play.

When you write poetry, it is not socially necessary. It is forced. None of the poetry I read from anyone sounds like anything other than the grossest pretension, because you are not a poet. Nobody can be a poet anymore. Poetry is dead.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N3o0MFSv4dw
portalconservador.com/livros/C-S-Lewis-A-Preface-to-Paradise-Lost.pdf
theguardian.com/stage/2014/sep/20/king-charles-iii-mike-bartlett
standard.co.uk/goingout/theatre/what-would-happen-if-prince-charles-was-made-king-9234812.html
amazon.com/Pillars-Sand-Schroer-Kent-C-ebook/dp/B01M0U2S8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474488339&sr=8-2&keywords=pillars of sand
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

art is dead in general

poetry was never live
prose is lit

>chaucer isn't lit
>virgil isn't lit
>homer isn't lit

Cute poem dude.

to bad I'm writing poetry that will be remembered for at least 200 years
long form poetry has every device availble a novel does and on critical important extra piece

>When you write poetry, it is not socially necessary. It is forced. None of the poetry I read from anyone sounds like anything other than the grossest pretension, because you are not a poet. Nobody can be a poet anymore. Poetry is dead.
you are the real crackpot here

poetry can still be great just not in the way you think it is since you're unfamiliar with (post-)modern ideas of how poetry functions

advertising is effective when it uses the mechanics of poetry

art criticism is dead because no one can develop sustained arguments about art anymore, and without critics selling art to the everyday plen (You) it appears dead

you cannot kill both
poetry and grammar
one always survives

Novel is dead too.

Our time is that of the shitpost.

This isn't wrong. Imagine what the average person thinks of poetry.

Not for the overman.

poetry = faggotry

Books in general are dead.

The future is Netflix/On-Demand TV (& possibly normal TV), the internet and above all memes.

Any ideological/propaganda wars will be fought on these fronts. Not enough people read anymore for it to be an effective medium.

All these wrote in meter simply because printing presses didn't exist and poetry is easier to memorize

Homer was most probably, if he existed, something like a very popular bard.

>Our time is that of the novel.

Lol what? The novel has died too.

the novel hasnt died because it still sells well.
That is what matters.

An art dies when it becomes a subsidized piece of museum, or when it has more creators than consumers.

you will die unknown and unread, faggot

idiot

>the novel hasnt died because it still sells well.

Not really. Not literary fiction. It's subsidised by academia.

You don't warrant any more complex rebuttal than this. Who the fuck are you to dictate what the major literary artform of our time is?

sage

Maybe this is presentism from my part, but I find it hard to believe that any roleplayer was popular, no matter what class they mained.

>painting was never alive

This is one of the most cardboard fucking unread psued opinions I've had the displeasure of seeing become popular on Veeky Forums.

So, please stop posting on Veeky Forums

it was demanded and paid for. Patronage by the wealthy and nobility isnt the same as State subsidy in a modern State.

>As a medium of cultural conveyance, poetry has run its course. There will be no great poet of the 21st century, because poetry can no longer be great.
>Our time is that of the novel. It is inescapable. Not the short story, not the play, but the novel. Nobody will be remembered within the context of literature who wrote anything other than an immensely popular and well-received novel. When considering what were the works of "high culture" from this period of time, nobody will point to any poem or play.
>When you write poetry, it is not socially necessary. It is forced. None of the poetry I read from anyone sounds like anything other than the grossest pretension, because you are not a poet. Nobody can be a poet anymore. Poetry is dead.

8/10 poem

What about epics?

That shit has been dead for over 150 years m8

Good

song lyrics are poetry

Well, literature is.

false dichotomy

nuh-uh

youtube.com/watch?v=N3o0MFSv4dw

Poetry survives in pop music. Who reads novels these days?

>None of the poetry I read from anyone sounds like anything other than the grossest pretension, because you are not a poet. Nobody can be a poet anymore. Poetry is dead.

I think that you sound even more pretentious by stating that an art form that has been written since the dawn of literature is now dead and will remain dead.

I agree that most of the poetry produced today is bad, and I also agree that much poetry that is not accompanied by a story (not in a play, not in an epic poem, not in a book that works even a simple plot, like fables and the modern works of Dr. Seuss) is mostly limited to a very small audience, yet who are you to say what people from all the globe will keep producing and consuming in the years to come?

I see people sharing poems and poetic quotes on Facebook every day. In any popular TV series or movie, the phrases and speeches that are generally most quoted and remembered by all the normal viewers are the ones where some poetic sparks intrude into the normal, gray, day-to-day prose that the characters usually speak. People still love poetry, even if they themselves do not know it.

>our time is that of the novel

The 19th century calls you back. The 20th century was the century of the film.

I'm talking about the written medium.

People buy novels all the time. Not novels-as-literature, per se, but novels all the same. Cultural is still conveyed in terms of the novel, but no longer in terms of poety.

I am making an observation. I am not the authority to pronounce anything, I am simply observing what is there.

So I guess that book of poems I published last year and was paid well for didn't exist, right? And hasn't sold 10,000 copies?

>muh popularity
>muh muney

99% of people don't appreciate art in any way. They consume it like food or drink, instead of viewing it as educational and ENLIGHTENING. Just because morons like you fail to appreciate it, doesn't mean that it goes unappreciated by its TRUE audience.

>So I guess that book of poems I published last year and was paid well for didn't exist, right? And hasn't sold 10,000 copies?
You guess correctly.

Your book of poems isn't culturally necessary

Poetry: The Obituary, in case you missed it

>ur lyer cuz i say so
>this is how insecure you sound
I just explained that keeping ENLGHTENED people ENLIGHTENED is culturally necessary, you dolt. Your sub 120 IQ is showing.

>I pretend to be a successful poet on the Internet
>this is how insecure you sound

Wrong. The novel is dying because they take too long. Poetry will no doubt make a resurgence in this century.

>I just explained that keeping ENLGHTENED people ENLIGHTENED is culturally necessary
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Keats did.

Keats said that nobody in his time could ever write something like Paradise Lost: people just don't think like that anymore and it is impossible. Culture has simply moved to a different place. It is just the same that we do not convey culture anymore through poems: the medium has become all washed up. Television, film, memes, social media, and novels are the primary means by which this is done these days, and any concept of higher culture has really been eradicated. Even what masquerades as "classical music" now is just another form of popular music, for example.

Poetry is decidedly intertwined with bourgeois higher culture. Popular poetry is nonexistent, it has no application. It can be used in advertising, in folk sayings, in memes or what have you, but that isn't poetry proper, no more than a twitter post is literature.

screencapped so I can make fun of you 2100

>Television, film, memes, social media, and novels are the primary means by which this is done these days

Lol what? No-one reads novels anymore.

What was the last big novel to have an impact on popular culture? None this millennium.

>Poetry is decidedly intertwined with bourgeois higher culture.

Bourgeois higher culture existed for about 150 years, whereas poetry goes back thousands of years. The death of bourgeois higher culture won't kill poetry, it will just kill the bourgeois higher culture forms of poetry . . .

Book poetry was created by bourgeois culture.

If I ever become a poet it will be because of anger towards bad poets.

This is what it sounds like outside,
fat geese and guinea hens holding hands.
I am 31, which is very young for my age.
That is enough to realize I’m a pencil that has learned
how to draw the Internet. I explain squiggles
diagramming exactly how I feel and you are drawn to read
in ways you cannot yet. Slow goes the drag
of creation, how what’s within comes to be without,
which is the rhythmic erection of essence.

---

I’d once have left
brown behind
having already
left the tribe behind
and her tongue
and the garb
that made me theirs
because it felt like
leaving hoi polloi
behind to put
behind the father
in my mother’s tongue
lingering in the
long and deep vowels
meant I could leave
behind
inferiority complex
not really or ever
but in theory

I leave behind
the house we kept
trying to make look
like the nation
and the past I know
I’ll leave my hurts
behind I hope I’ll leave
yours probably not

---

Welcome to the endless high-school
Reunion. Welcome to past friends
And lovers, however kind or cruel.
Let’s undervalue and unmend

The present. Why can’t we pretend
Every stage of life is the same?
Let’s exhume, resume, and extend
Childhood. Let’s all play the games

That occupy the young. Let fame
And shame intertwine. Let one’s search
For God become public domain.
Let church.com become our church.

Let’s sign up, sign in, and confess
Here at the altar of loneliness.

---

This trash makes me physically angry and makes me want to become a poet out of spite. I could literally and unironically write better poetry than this nauseating garbage.

Have anything to back you up that isn't just posturing?

>pop music

>This trash makes me physically angry and makes me want to become a poet out of spite. I could literally and unironically write better poetry than this nauseating garbage.
I have made this thread really out of a belief that culture is something akin to an organism: that all modern poetry is by nature forced and none of it seems essential.

When I think of a poet like Dante or Keats, I don't see them sitting down and crafting something. I literally see them channeling a great work from culture itself, rather Culture with a capital C. Great poetry is not something with meaning or reason, but something from the Gods, seemingly delivered.

When I think of the Aeneid, do I really think of Virgil as sitting down and rationally conceiving of the story? Or did the story just come to him, and he more or less channeled it? What about Shakespeare? How much of Shakespeare is true rational craft, and how much "revealed aesthetics?"

First, go ahead. Second, they're pretty interesting in how they capture the modern zeitgeist. The last one is even pretty good.

C. S. Lewis in his Preface to Paradise Lost argues that epic poetry can be split into primary and secondary epic, with primary epic being more or less "channeled" by the culture, whereas secondary epic is a reflection upon primary epic. He gives Virgil as an example of secondary epic, being a reflection on Homer. I agree with Lewis. I think the Aeneid was a conscious construction more than an automatic heroic song.

Is PL secondary to?

>capture the modern zeitgeist

precisely why modern poetry is trash, it believes in the Hegelian myth of a zeitgeist, turning their poetry into self-reflective, navel-gazing masturbation.

Lewis says so
he says PL is more akin to the Aeneid than to the Iliad/Odyssey or to Beowulf

here, it's worth reading
portalconservador.com/livros/C-S-Lewis-A-Preface-to-Paradise-Lost.pdf

I can see why that would be so..

But actually reading the Aeneid tells me otherwise.

But at least we're on the same page.

novel was clearly the early 1900's

we are in the era of film/script

Just fuck off Spengler your book isn't even good garbage.

>film
Hi grandpa, got lost again? This is the age of memes and videogames.

>But actually reading the Aeneid tells me otherwise.

Probably because Virgil was an excellent poet and knew how to imitate the best of Homer.

>When I think of the Aeneid, do I really think of Virgil as sitting down and rationally conceiving of the story? Or did the story just come to him, and he more or less channeled it? What about Shakespeare? How much of Shakespeare is true rational craft, and how much "revealed aesthetics?"
whats the point of asking questions that cant be answered, all you've discussed is the RESULT of an artist's work. no where do you have any pretense to make claims about the CAUSE or SOURCE of an artist's work

>implying I don't know what every other's intention is
Filthy postmodernist go away.

author's*

jonathan is that you?

So we should just ignore the effects of the internet on life in literature? Sure, older writers like Vollmann might self consciously do that, but eventually we'll have a whole generation of writers raised on the internet. You may be pessimistic, but people were pessimistic about industrialization and urbanization, newspapers, television, etc. Literature's still survived, albeit in different forms with different subject matters.

>industrialization and urbanization, newspapers, television
(although one thing I'll admit, is these do suck. But never underestimate the resilience of the writerly spirit. Great literature has been created in spite of and in opposition to negative trends in modern civilization.)

no

>When I think of the Aeneid, do I really think of Virgil as sitting down and rationally conceiving of the story? Or did the story just come to him, and he more or less channeled it?

I read that Virgil was a slow composer and that he usually first wrote the material in prose, and then proceeded to versify, eliminating and adding new things that seems more appropriate. So it was not a natural and simple thing to him. He also needed to search for sources to make the Aeneid, and he pretty much imitated a lot from Homer, who was more distant in time from him than Shakespeare (and I guess even Dante) is from us.

You never know when something is going to explode again. Pablo Neruda, for example, was worldwide famous, and he mostly wrote poetry, much of it highly metaphorical and demanding. And if you see the first attempts of verse-drama in blank verse in the years before Shakespeare (see Gorboduc) you would not believe how much the theater was going to improve (of course, the fact that there was money to be made with it helped a lot): nobody could have guessed, watching Gorboduc when it was first staged, how glorious it’s offspring would be.

There was also a verse-drama that recently made a lot of success; who knows if maybe it dosent become a new trend and suddenly we find ourselves surrounded by verse-drama once again. Here, this was the play:

theguardian.com/stage/2014/sep/20/king-charles-iii-mike-bartlett

standard.co.uk/goingout/theatre/what-would-happen-if-prince-charles-was-made-king-9234812.html

>who knows if maybe it dosent become a new trend and suddenly we find ourselves surrounded by verse-drama once again.
I do. We won't.

It is

a pity; i would love to see that

>colon with no capitalization or end punctuation

You must love Hemingway.

I did just read the Sun Also Rises and it was pretty good, but it seemed like it was literally just an old film.

>I do. We won't.

This seems to make you happy. Why?

Because you're bad at reading emotions I guess.

Haikus are easy
But they don't always make sense
Colonoscopy

LOL are you fucking serious

I'm glad that I have misread your emotions. I cant imagine how anyone who loves to read would be happy to imagine a world where poetry has died, a world where drama of great verbal and metaphorical exuberance will never be possible again.

>portalconservador.com/livros/C-S-Lewis-A-Preface-to-Paradise-Lost.pdf
fucking kek at the second chapter
eliot btfo, should have learned basic philosophy

I'd probably like poetry a lot more if we were still telling each other book length epic stories by the campfire in meter. That's badass. But we don't. And it's hard to get into the more derivative art for art's sake purified form without that universally enthralling baseline.

I mean, would people enjoy short arthouse films if they never watched a movie in their life? Would people be into experimental music if they've never hear or enjoyed a pop song?

A faint ghost through the raindrops, pace a frozen train stop
My brain throbs as it wanders to my day job
On my way to the place that I hate most
Strange though how I'm still afraid of getting laid off
And every day feels the same with a different date
And every face looks as plain as an empty frame
So sick of waiting for the painter to begin
To paint the plain away, for now a testament to emptiness and...
Thoughts ricochet, through my fickle pickled brain
Rain trickles down the grimace, same image, different name
Fault searcher my soul’s an impulse purchase
Round here we serve beer not purpose

We all look so morose
Soaked overcoats, hope comatosed
Folks know the ropes, don't row the boat, just float
Don't delay, don't you go and chase the blown away
Umbrella cross the motorway, tell 'em keep a poker face
For the joker's sake, hold your plate steady while we load it up
And smoke your face pretty while your throat is cut
Yeah, things that go bump, know what's up
Only showing love through the drugs and the modem plug
Moments past only last in photographs, show some gums
Fool the picture homie, no, he couldn’t give a lonely fuck
So they don’t smile they just show their teeth
And sit below the streets on broken rollercoaster seats
With today's valid ticket like this trip is where they're all supposed to be
But don't be difficult, the warning poster's read
And if it all amounts to this, then all aboard and count your chips
A flock of dirty pigeons fighting over water fountain sips

Now I could learn to hide a smirk behind a smile
In a nice designer shirt, life of work, buy a pile of dirt
And plant a house in it past the shanty town limits
Where the angry crowds picket, pick a hand-me-down image
And be an average bloke, the same person that you know
That hates work but has to go to pay for the back he broke
Toiling in the fields, what's the point of putting poison in their meals
When a coin will have them oiling up the wheels
For the rich man's chariot they're carrying
A figjam arrogance and shrink-wrapped happiness
"Hand it out" Same shit, different brand name
"Gather around" Same slip, different cash claim
Wait, welcome to the day it was rocket science
And watch grey become a ying-yang compromise
Throw the canary down the mineshaft
With a gas mask for the last laugh, tip your bar staff

And welcome to the day that the daisy chain
Breaks from the weight and strain, but everything remains the same
And welcome to the day that the painter came
Astounded every critic with a thousand different shades of grey
And welcome to the day that the sweat from every brow
Was ours to keep
And every pawn was proudly crowned a queen
And welcome to the night that while the captain slept
We abandoned ship with our lanterns lit singing

Step aside

Poetry isn't dead, it's just been superseded by rap.

Sure, a lot of rap music (arguably the vast majority) is the poetic equivalent of 'There once was a man from Nantucket...', but the good stuff still takes the same skill to write as quality poetry, plus the added requirements that the speaker needs to have the proper cadence and enunciation to deliver it in an enjoyable manner.
On top of this, because you're hearing it in the artist's own voice they can ensure it's delivered exactly as they intend, with the pacing and emotion that you can't get with words on paper.

there's still some good modern poetry out there, it's a matter of discernment; Billy Collins and Jane Hirshfield are both fantastic imo
plus you never know what you'll find with some digging. saw this recently and it wasn't bad, a bit heavyhanded but decent writing

amazon.com/Pillars-Sand-Schroer-Kent-C-ebook/dp/B01M0U2S8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474488339&sr=8-2&keywords=pillars of sand

yeah but why should I concern myself with what the average person thinks?

>I'd probably like poetry a lot more if we were still telling each other book length epic stories by the campfire in meter. That's badass. But we don't. And it's hard to get into the more derivative art for art's sake purified form without that universally enthralling baseline.

"that universally enthralling baseline.", in my opinion, is the key to make more enjoyable poetry. The lyric poetry was never a match (in popularity) for great plays, epic tales and books of poetry that simple tell a story and offer us with characters. Even in Shakespeare’s time, his narrative poems, Venus and Adonis and Lucrece were much more successful in sales than the volume of his sonnets (not to mention the printed plays).

But of course, a lot of people might produce works written in verse, telling a story, and still produce something bad. We tend to look to the works of the past and perceive them as large in quantity, but they are all scattered through time, through the centuries, a few specimens of trees that sprouted and survived a in an ocean of brownish, sour and musty dead-foliage.

We look to the few decades of our own existence and get impatient because we don’t see any other awe inspiring poetic talent emerge, yet we should be aware that such kind of births are rare. These rare birds are the product a lot of several convergent factors: a decent level of intelligence; an environment of learning and stimulation; an obsessive and ambitious personality; capacity for hard-work; capacity to tolerate long periods of learning and inevitable episodes of failure and rejection, and more. No wonder than some of us reach 40 and 50 without witnessing any new poetic genius emerge.

Atop a mountain, my goal is set
Thin air and anxiety cloud the mind
The birds frolic and the fog drifts
The white rope I have been walking on creeks and tightens with every step
It connects mountain to mountain
The past and the future
One step forward feels like three steps back
Am I good enough?
Time will tell

rate guys please

As mainly a reader of novels, essays and history books, I like poetry most when:

-It describes a scene or tells a story
-it rhymes
-the writer has a great command of the phonetical aspect of his language, what the strengths and weaknesses of the language are, and can think of combinations of words that sound very good.

Examples of this would be Coleridge's poem about Kublai Khan's palace, Xanadu, and Ruben Dario's poem about the parade of a Roman army, Marcha Triunfal.

I also think poetry is untranslatable because you cant translate sound.

rate please

Don't make us do it. You'll be sorry